main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson Alliance and Empire ~ SW Minis

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by padumavati, Jun 1, 2007.

1. padumavati

padumavati Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2007
    Hi, my name is Lauren. I just joined the theforce.net boards because I finally want to talk to other people besides my boyfriend about Star Wars. We live in Tucson, although my profile apparently hates my zip code so it won't show. We play Star Wars Minis pretty frequently, and have a decent collection of minis. We're currently waiting for 2 cases of minis to get here (it's the most minis we've ever got at once... total craziness) today. We're hoping for no repeat rares (that's happened to us before and really, how many Baron Fels do you need?) and to get close to 60/60 on this one. We don't have any complete sets yet, but maybe soon.

We've thought about playing at Heroes & Villains, but I'm sort of nervous about meeting other people who play because from what I've seen (at H&V, Hat's Games, and Amazing Discoveries) it's mostly teenage boys who from my experience are not very accepting. Although I do like to go to H&V when I get a booster or a book because the people that work there are always very nice to me. Also we've never been really strict on rules so I'm not sure I know all of them.

Anyways, does anyone else play SWMinis? Are you starting your Alliance and Empire set yet? :)

Also, a little bit about me: I'm almost 25, I'm an EE (not for Raytheon!), I have a tiny dachshund, Obi Wan is hands down my favorite but I have a crush on Quinlan Vos, and if you can make it with yarn chances are I'm obsessed with it.

2. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    Sorry for not saying this be before but Welcome Padumavati.

Unfortunately I know very little about Minis. I saw it being played at C4 but could not afford the time to stop and watch. We do play RPG and are always talking about doing other stuff so Minis are something some of us might want to do.

We have a game of RPG set tonight and a meeting set for tomorrow (both have threads on each re-occurring get together) if you have any interest in joining in, please do.

3. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    Welcome to the Tucson FAn Force Lauren!!!!

My apologies for not introducing ourselves to you. It is great that you found us and may I ask how you heard about us? Was it just from joining TFN? Anyhow we would love to meet you and your boyfriend and bring some minis so we can possibly intrigue some other members into a new experience. If you have not already read the thread we will be having our next meeting at Bookmans on Grant and Campbell on the SE corner. The meeting room is in the far back right of the building in the kids section. I hope you can make it!

-Chris

4. _Anakin_Vader_

_Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    A while ago, I was into SW Minis, but I only had one friend that was into it, and it was before I joined the FF. So that kinda died. But I enjoyed it a lot, and would be totally willing to start up again. Definitely try to come to the meeting today.

5. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Is it a strategy game, kind of like chess? Empire at war? Stratigo? I?m still kind of unclear as to what it is exactly.

6. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    That would be awesome if you educated us sometime and we had a quick game! mind bringing some to a meeting sometime to show us?

7. padumavati

May 30, 2007
    I wouldn't mind bringing minis to a meeting sometime. Obviously, I wasn't able to make tonight's meeting. But maybe if there is more notice for the next meeting?

Minis is a strategy game. There are many levels to the strategy. First you have to build a squad, based on a set number of points (each character has a point cost). Once you have a squad you like, you place your characters on a map, as does your opponent (or opponents). From there, it's pretty much mayhem - what your squad does is up to you. Each character has hit points, attack modifiers, defense points, and special abilities. You can use anything and everything, and the goal is total destruction of your opponent's squad. Here's a demo from the Wizards site: http://mi.wizards.com/swminis/demo/SW_MinisDemo.html

We opened both our cases. We got all the commons and uncommons and some pretty sweet rares and very rares. No Vader, Boba or Quinlan, though. :( But I'm pretty happy with our Aurra Sing, Obi-Wan Force Spirit and Rampaging Wampa. :) So all in all, they were good pulls. Although we somehow got 3 Landos. Stupid Lando. I'd trade 100 Landos for a Quinlan Vos. ;)

8. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    Sounds alot like warhammer. I played 40k, necromunda and mordheim back in the day but we also used terrain.

I would not mind building a squad/army but I am sure Amber would...

9. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    not want it in her house?

10. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Want to play herself?

11. mmmothman32

mmmothman32 Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2007
    I play the minis.I have about 50 or 60, mostly from Revenge of the Sith.

12. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Cool, what days work for you Lauren? That tutorial rocked!

13. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Yes, I have to admis, that look like alot of fun. If we do it (schedule permits) I'm all in.

14. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    There is a reason I only paint the mini figurines and do not play any of the D&D, Warhammer, Reaper, and Star Wars Minis games. Until now, I've kept this deep, dark secret to myself, afraid to reveal the truth and face the disgust and revoltion of my friends. But today I break this self-imposed taboo. Here is my shameful secret

Dice hate me. I suck at boardgames where I have to use dice.

Please, please don't hate me because of my secret.

15. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Yea, well women tend to feel the same way about me, hence being single for 3 years. So believe me you got a better "secret" to deal with. :_| :p

16. padumavati

May 30, 2007
    Weekends are good... this weekend not so much but the Friday and Saturday after that could work. If enough people want to play we can shoot for the early evening on one of those days. Probably Bookman's or H&V would be a good spot to play, though I don't know what the rules are for playing at H&V. Suggestions? Or maybe if someone wanted to hold a general get together, the people who want to play minis can have their own table while everyone else watches movies or something. :)

17. padumavati

May 30, 2007
    I roll the most 1s of anyone I know.

18. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    So do you buy a starter pack and booster packs or can you get a master kit?

19. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    I know Jack got a ship pack at C4.......???

20. padumavati

May 30, 2007
    We started by buying the RotS starter kit that came with a board and Obi-Wan and Grievous. I think that starter is out of print, though. There's supposed to be another starter coming out soon, along with another set, but I'm not sure what the deal is with it because it comes in packs of 2 instead of 7. I would personally just buy a booster or two and either download & print out maps, or try to locate a starter. There are a lot of people on the Wizards boards that make map designs you can download. Or if you want to jump right in, there are usually eBay lots where you can get a big box of commons & uncommons for a decent price. The problem there is that then you don't have any rares, which are usually the more powerful ones (as inidividual characters go, giant droids are a different story).
    I think in competition sometimes you buy a booster or two and then play with only what's in the boosters, rather than custom building a squad.

21. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Fans of Star Wars Miniatures game and Star Wars Roleplaying game from Wizards of the Coast have a lot to be excited about with the new lineup for 2007 which includes 150 unique figures for the Star Wars Miniatures lineup, as well as The Force Unleashed booster-only set.
    The action starts in June with the release of Alliance & Empire, a 60-figure, booster-only expansion composed of iconic characters from the original Star Wars trilogy. In celebration of the 30th anniversary, each figure in the first print run of Alliance & Empire is fixed on a special, square-base emblazoned with a metallic silver Star Wars logo. Subsequent printings of Alliance & Empire will revert to the customary round figure bases.

Read the full story at StarWars.com

22. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    I am sorry I am not involved in this discussion.. I am just having a stressful week at home.. plus I leave in the morning for arkansas. I am indeed all in for playing SW Minis whenever and wherever for certain. :)

23. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    Hmmm see I am a very experienced Magic player also a WOTC game and I did others too except Pokemon. Are your characters only fighting each other? Is there other goals? As far as that goes I ask is because I would have several yournament winning decks and they were piled high with commons and very few if any rares... Then again I had some decks that had no commons and very few uncommons but those decks were worth over $1000 per deck!

24. _Anakin_Vader_

_Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    Yeah, from what I remember, there is a pretty decent amount of strategy involved, and it's games like that that can have kick-butt "decks" made purely of commons. But in this case, I'm pretty sure it has mostly to do with how good your figures are.

Yes, your characters are only fighting the other characters on the board/table. Only in some special games/scenarios are there other special goals. I think in one of the early starters, there was one scenario where if you were the Empire, you had to stop the Rebels from escaping the Death Star, and if you were the Rebels, you just had to break Leia free and escape.

We definitely need to set up a time/place for a game. padumavati, if you have a ton of extra figures, we could set up a time and place for an intro, and you could just let us borrow an army of yours. I think this could become a big thing.

25. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005

You are correct, sir.