main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Amidala's Gowns (part 2)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by kreleia, Sep 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    Surlie-that is exactly the pattern I noticed with the jewels...no coffe needed. My husband says I'm high strung like a siamese cat...
    SG-I am sure I will need your help in the near future when I am at the place to start really working on the heeadpiece-right now I am just making bead strands in my spare time and gathering all of the materials while working on the gown and Jason's officer uniform.
    Kreleia-I missed CI also-don't feel bad. We had a new baby and couldn't fly across the country.
    qs

2. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    qs, I'm at your service. Any questions, any time, I'll try to answer. :)

Kreleia, my delightful spouse and I had the same conversation about CIII -- we're going, if I have to drive us there in a commandeered Sherman tank full of costumes. And what's this of standing aside? You're chock full of useful info and insights! No being quiet allowed!

-sg

3. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Thanks sg! :) The reason I said that is because even though my skills have improved a lot since the first Pre-Senate gown, I still feel very much like an amateur when it comes to creating, making and pulling off the costumes - particularly that one. (Especially when I read that you've been sewing since you were 3!?? :eek: ) I practically study the costumes with a magnifying glass, but my skills have yet to reach that point where I can pull off a copy to my own satisfaction. They're getting there, but I still need practice, practice, practice. Hence, my occassional bouts of insecurity.

Thanks for the compliments, sg. [face_blush] You're sweet (and awfully patient with all of my questions)!

kreleia ^.^

4. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    You guys are both great.
    I am good at matching colors, textures, and fabrics-and finding neat ways to make something out of junk-but it is the actual putting it together that is frustrating.
    I was looking in the Episode I dictionary and I skimmed over the "jedi cell phone" thing-Jason is more into all of the correct names-that Qui-Gonn used to talk to Obi-Wan-and I realized the base was made out of my Sensor Excel razor!!!!!They just spray painted it silver and added a bunch of junk to it...The people George Lucas works with are just scavengers aren't they?
    My main beef with the headress is figuring out the arcs and the fan hair...how to put it all together-I read your instructions and parts of it have sunk in-and others-well...not yet.
    qs

5. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    ahh a comlink, comm for short. :) yep, it was even confirmed by LFL that they used that razor!

i've been lurking here for quite a while, and i'd just like to say keep up the good work! i'd kill for the time and money to make one of the dresses...well, maybe over the summer. you guys are amazing with the things you turn out. great job!

6. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    Thanks for the compliment-keep on lurking-and pipe on in if you want! If you aren't on a time frame like for a contest-then the money isn't a really big deal-just buy the supplies as you need them...and always check the fabric clearance and places like Big Lots and Goodwills! You can find all kinds of things that can be used on the costume you are making-or find something that inspires your next project!
    (Now every time I shave my legs I want to talk into the stupid thing! he he he)
    qs

7. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    kreleia, if it makes you feel any better, I'm still totally insecure every time I'm about to show a costume to people for the first time. I'm always worried there will be some hideous flaw that I haven't caught. Or that some vital piece of trim will fall off at the worst possible moment. Besides, I've learned that no matter how good a costume is, there's always a better one.

And if I ever find the thing I made when I was three (I'm confident it's stowed away somewhere at my dad's house) I'll scan it in so you can enjoy the humor of that sad little project -- it was a stuffed fish made of this quintuple knit aqua blue polyester, sewn with really long running stitches, and a droopy little button eye. It's really kinda entertaining to behold.

-sg

8. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    I think what Kreleia and I are afraid of is that everyone's will be better....he he he
    I think my biggest fear of this one is that the wind will blow and the hair will fall out or I will trip on the skirt and break my neck in front of thousands...My short hair all plastered down coming out from underneath that big headpiece will not be a pretty sight...
    I was also wondering if you were all brown eyed beauties...or if you have blue or green. The eye color does have an effect on the makeup-and I may have to do a bit more blending and eye definition lest my blue eyes get lost in all the white makeup...

9. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Aw geez queenseamtress! I hadn't even thought about eyecolor! :eek:

I, for one, am going to be totally insecure about wearing my costume for the first time in front of people. I think once I get around others in costume I'll feel a lot better. :)

I've been hard at work on the picnic dress. I'm going especially slow as to not screw anything up. *crosses fingers*

10. jedi_blynnj

jedi_blynnj Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2002
    I want to thank all of you! Your messages have helped me so very much! I'm pretty good at sewing, but I;ve never hand died anything before. Does anyone have any good tips or know any good sites that could help me?

I'm making the rainbow dress. I have the pattern and the fabric, but should I die it before I start to sew or after?

11. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    "I think what Kreleia and I are afraid of is that everyone's will be better....he he he"

qs, you have no idea how correct that statement it. :D Too true, too true. I was so proud of my Pre-Senate gown two years ago, then I found the costuming boards... end of story. **laugh**

sg, you rock! [face_laugh] No, you don't have to provide proof that you were once a beginner too, I just need to pound my own self-doubt into the ground even further. I'm currently working on that by helping out the Phoenix FanForce members with their costumes, be they Jedi or otherwise. Oddly enough, they all think I'm a master seamstress. Too funny!! ^.^ (makes me feel good, too ;) )

As for eye color - well, I have brown eyes, but I wouldn't go so far as to describe myself as a brown-eyed beauty. LOL!! Actually, it's kinda nice for the Padmé costumes, but it's a nasty problem for the Ysanne Isard costume I'm preparing for myself. I'm going to have to buy specialty contact lenses for it (one blue eye, one red eye with gold highlights). Sheesh! ^.^ That's okay, though. I need to get my eyes checked anyway. That and I'm finding that I'll have to invest in a wig. Even though my hair is naturally brown, I don't want to dye it black and then bleach some white streaks into the front. o_O;; No no no...

Dang it! Why is it that we've all turned out to be such major perfectionists!?? [face_laugh]

kreleia ^.^

12. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    good luck on the colored contacts! i tried to get them for the heck of it a few months ago and it turns out they only come in a "one-size-fits-all" size, which doesn't fit all. They were too big, and kept moving around my eyes. Alas, no colored contacts for me. :(

13. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    To answer the question, no I'm not a "brown eyed beauty" I'm afriad I have blue eyes, and blonde hair. Which noramally I like, but it's a disattvantage if I'm trying to dress up as Padme! I have really light skin, so dieing my hair would look really bad, so I guess I'll never be her look alike! ;) I do have really long hair, which is nice.

14. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    For your blonde hair, the only thing you may want to try to make it look brown is either Fanci-ful rinse-which washes out immediately, or spray on hair color if they have it at Sallys-but it usualy only comes in blonde or bright colors. The rinse is what old ladies use after tehy wash their hair to cover up some of the gray-there is a color called blue steel which most of them use that have that nice "blue-hair" effect-he he he. Did I mention that I was a hairdresser? If you are doing and EpII Padme gown, then I would just let it be blonde and blue-and be your own natural beauty.
    The only thing I would change it for is outlandish characters like Aurra or Oola,ect. where you have to change it all to get the look. Alas-my vision is so bad I cannot wear the "freaky lenses" as they do not make them in my prescription-I can only get the normal colors...
    I would definitely use a wig instead of the black and white hair...almost impossible to GET..much less get OUT...
    I did get lucky enough to find a piece of trim that looks like the edging on the front of the pre-senate headpiece-you know-the part that goes into a widow's peak with the pearl in every "loop". It was white, but I stained it with weak coffee-and now it is the perfect ivory-that will save some time-now I just have to do the pearls...
    I still cannot find any obi fabric-I may have to go with the diamondweave gold with the little maroon dots-they will just have to match the garnets in the headpiece-unless the Force guides me to some!
    And ladies-you are ALL beauties-no matter what size or shape or eye color...I am a lot heavier than before my two kids, and my husband still grabs at me all day...you just have to have people around you that appreciate your beauty and talent.
    qs

15. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    I'm a brown eyed monster, but luckily, my eyes are pretty comfy with most contact lenses, so I consider that a fairly changeable attribute.

qs -- I know the write up I did on that headpiece is totally screwy - feel totally free to ask for clarification on anything.
    I am, by the way, probably your haircolor nightmare. I'm one of those people who is constantly switching colors for one reason or another (usually for a costume, though...)I know it's bad (I worked in the hair biz for several years) but my hair seems to be extraordinarily resilient to all the change. Besides, I'm easily bored. :)

Also, while there's so much mutual admiration going around -- I wanted to mention the fact that I'm in awe of those of you who manage to be moms AND get costuming done. I have no kids, and there are absolutely no plans for kids in my future, and I still find myself feeling overwhelmed at times. How do you do it?!?

-sg

16. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    queenseamstress: Your right, dieing my hair would NOT be worth it! But if I ever do it, I will keep those tips in mind! Your a hairdresser? Thats cool! I bet thats really nice when you try and do any of Padmes huge hair styles!

17. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    I do it very carefully...
    Sweeping the floor anytime I use pins-just to be safe, keeping my "shop" in our bedroom with the door shut while they are awake, getting up when dh goes to work for an hour of work time before they wake up, and taking advantage of ANY time the granparents take them for a day or so...it is VERY difficult.
    I get very little time to wrork continously-so every spare minute counts with me...
    and sometimes, my husband is as distracting as the kids and I have to get him something to occupy him while I work like a new Harley part or movie...funny-he doesn't bother me as much when I am working on a costume or prop FOR HIM...
    qs
    SG-I will ask you if I have any questions on the headpiece...and if I do or discover anything you like about my finished product-if it ever gets there-I can tell you what I did also...pretty soon ILM isn't going to know the real from the fakes! ha ha ha

18. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, my son has not discovered the joy of mobility yet. [face_laugh] So, he's still stationary when on the floor. BUT, he's going through the separation anxiety phase, so it's *very* difficult to step even across the room.

SO, I sew at night after he goes to bed (around 8:00). That's why you see me posting so much during the day. (I'm obviously not sewing right now, since I'm posting this, but that's where I'm headed as soon as I'm finished.) I can keep him on the floor right next to me, and he'll play and practice rolling over. It's hard sometimes during the evenings, though, 'cause the husband wants attention too. Still, he likes it better when I'm sewing in the evenings rather than online - probably because I'm close by (my machines are on the kitchen table since I don't have a spare room to set up shop ^.^).

Ah yes... feel the love in this thread. :) Actually, I'm finally feeling better today. I'm not sure what it was (no, not PMS, strangely enough), but I was in a bit of a slump for a few days. Sorry about some of the comments I made. I'm already hard on myself as it is, but when those slumps happen, watch out! blah... Thanks for helping me out, though! I really do appreciate all of your nice comments. ^.^

kreleia ^.^

EDIT: BTW, qs and sg, do you happen to know of any good places to buy wigs - and relatively inexpensive? All of the sites I've looked at are horrendously expensive, and the Halloween wigs are nasty looking - although I'm thinking they could be cleaned up some to look half-decent. Any ideas or suggestions?

19. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    Try looking on Ebay-there are a lot of used wigs for decent prices-real and synthetic. Try Sallys or one of those oriental owned beauty supply houses if you just need hair to make a braided piece out of or like I will need for the fan in my headress. This is great for the Ep I hairstyles.
    I am using a cheap halloween godiva wig for the braid in the back, because of the length, but I am putting a few emollients in the ends to smooth them out and since it is braided the nastiness won't show. If it were loose like the EpI Tatooine hair, I would still go with synthetic, but go with a higher quality for a wig. There is no way I can afford to use human hair in a Padme/Amidala wig...the hair is way too long and almost impossible to find, and if you did...you'd have to refinance your house.
    Kreleia, I know what you mean...a few months ago Raiden was at your son's stage-now he is pulling himself up to stand and grabs any fabric I have in my lap and I cannot leave anything on the coffee table. I pretty much have to wait until they go to bed-which leaves little time-and the husband wants attention too...and Jaosn will do about anything for attention...I am sure you know what I mean. He would rather pick at me and have me yell at him than not get any at all.
    qs

20. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    qs, what kind of emollients are you going to use for the ends? Yeah, I've seen the braid hair packs at Sally's - I've used them too. But, indeed, the ends look awful. I actually took one apart that I had braided and started ironing it straight a few weeks ago, and it was looking really good.... until my cat decided it was a great play toy. (I made the mistake of leaving it on the ironing board overnight. Never again.) I figured since they're so cheap, I'd just go buy a new one, but I haven't made it to Sally's yet. But, yes, that's the hair I'm going to be using for the Pre-Senate gown headpiece. :) (whenever I get to it)

Maybe I'll do a little phone book shopping today for wigs... I have to make some calls anyway...

kreleia ^.^

21. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    Since the hair is synthetic you do not want anything too "wet" because it will not absorb. You may want to try a bit of hair wax or like VO5 hairdressing like old ladies use-just a TOUCH in your hand and rub it in your hands really good and rub it through whatever part is really tangly and nasty in the wig. LESS IS MORE. Padme isn't a greaseball! ha ha ha
    Yes, it does help to be a hairdresser-I found it especially helpful that in beauty school I learned how to do African American hair and they use a lot of hair extensions and have a lot of wild styles-and it gives me some idea of what to do. Their hair tewxture is actually more similar to synthetic hair than that of caucasian-it has trouble absorbing moisture and breaks really easily-but it can withstand a lot more heat than ours-they use stove curling irons that would burn our hair off!!!
    Surl-what purpose did the plastic adhesive serve on your headress? Is there anything else I could use-or try to construct it sturdier so I will not need it? I have found it in a couple catalogs, but I am not ordering $25 of the minimum supplies to have the adhesive...
    I also found what I was looking for...get ready girls...grey iridescent taffeta...If I get it-since I have to redraft the sleeves-NOONE TELL MY HUSBAND AT CII HOW MUCH IT COSTS!!!!!!!
    I have also got an idea...the arcs are chrome/silver, but it looks like there is a sort of ragged on gold finish sticking in the mesh and around the circles-I think it may really add to the real metal look...should I go for it when it is time to paint????
    qs

22. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    qs -- if I remember correctly (it's been a few years) I used the plastic adhesive to attach the jewels to the silver arcs, and for general use throughout when other glues weren't appropriate. Since the plastic adhesive is archival grade, it is less prone to discolor or break down any of the materials. It is not, however, a real powerhouse adhesive, in my opinion. It dries with some flexibility, so it's not really the thing to use for structural stability.

Most library supply companies, like Demco or Gaylord carry this in their online stores, and I don't know think that either of them have a minimum order amount. (I know the Gaylord brand, which I usually use, is called Magic Mend -- it's for book repair.) If these don't pan out, let me know, and I may be able to help out.

-sg

23. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    Things are going well with the embroidery on the front of the headpiece lace-it has been the easiest thing to do so far.
    I cannot find the right looking jewels anywhere-but I still have some time before I am at that point.
    qs

24. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    I ordered the perfect grey iridescent taffeta today-OUCH! on the pocketbook!
    If I am going to do this-I might as well do it right!!!!
    Still working on the embroidered part of the headpiece-then to sew on the pearls-I will probably make the arc assembly and put it on the head form on top of the front piece so I have a guide before I attach teh beaded strands-then I will take it apart and paint it and sew them together-give me a better idea for placement.

25. KirstenSolo

KirstenSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    I'm getting into this a bit late -- I've tried to read all the previous messages, but there's a lot to absorb there! I'm planning on making the blue Padme Tatooine costume from Ep. II for Celebration II. I have an African-style costume that I think I can adapt pretty well, but I'm having a problem finding nice fabrics. Is there anywhere online that I could order fabrics from? Also, I have the right hair color, but it's not longer enough. Anybody have any idea how much nice extentions cost? I'd rather not wear a wig.

Thanks!

-Kirsten

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.