main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Anakin/Vader Characterization - Anakin in the New Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by rhonderoo, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I like the description in the game, roo! She sounds like an interesting character.

2. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    She does! And in the wookie article, notice she's wearing a glove.

3. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Interesting to think of Anakin as responsible for the education of a Padawan in the middle of a war. I can only think that war would be even more soul-killing for Jedi than it is for non-Jedi, since there is so much needless suffering. I wonder how much the war contributed to Anakin's fall, with or without a Padawan, who I would guess, may have died on a mission -- since there is no mention of her in ROTS. All the losses, great and small, that peppered his life from childhood forward.

4. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    Anakin has a Padawan... wait, what?!

This changes everything.

For one thing, she is never mentioned, EVER. Not in ROTS, not in any of the previous Clone Wars stories up til now. One wonders how they're going to explain that.

It makes his whole slaughter of the Jedi (including the Padawans) a completely different thing mentally. It becomes way more personal.

Plus... the Jedi Council was flat-out like, "We don't trust you". I can't see them approving him teaching someone else, especially given his history of actions and emotions they find sketchy.

And, he's questioning his own belief in the Jedi so much that I can't see him being cool with trying to make someone else into a Jedi right now.

5. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Yeah, it says in the game details that it's against his wishes... weird.

6. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    :oops:

Plus... the Jedi Council was flat-out like, "We don't trust you". I can't see them approving him teaching someone else, especially given his history of actions and emotions they find sketchy.

That's about the understatement of the YEAR.

Sometimes I wonder about these EU ppl. What WON'T they do for another buckaroo???[face_money_eyes]

The only way I can see this happening at ALL is if the Padawan in question is very serene and old beyond her years, with already plenty of the qualities the Council is beginning to despair of ever inculcating in Anakin. If she needed a little help with combat and Force skills only, that might make an acceptable pairing.

I can't see Anakin making a good influence on any young person otherwise.

7. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    There's a discussion on starwars.com about what is going to happen in the Clone wars movie - a lot more indepth story about Anakin and something of Obi-Wan. The person doing it also talked about Anakin's padawan. It's a cool video.

I'll link it. Let me know if I should delink!

Clone wars video

8. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Thanks for posting the link.

Interesting......I'm not in love with the art at all. Looks like a video game. I hope that the movement, editing and action distinguish it from that.

Much as I think that Anakin would be a bad influence on any young person, there could be valid reasons for him getting a padawan. From the clips, it looks like she's assigned to him out of the blue. With the Clone Wars going they could be very short on masters for promising students. And some apprentices, or maybe a lot of them, could be orphaned when their masters get killed. Anakin might be considered a last resort choice, especially if he's working with Obi-Wan all the time -- though I don't know why Obi-Wan wouldn't get the loose padawan instead.

The most promising aspect is showing Anakin's 'good side'. Since he's always cruising toward becoming Vader in the movies, I don't think we get enough of that.

9. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I'd also like to see more of Anakin's good side. I think he had a lot of it but he became overwhelmed with his ambition and it overruled his good sense.

On an alternate note, while they aren't using Hayden's voice in the cartoon, he said he was interested in doing it. Same with Sam Jackson for Mace.

Do you think it would make a difference to have the original actors' voices?

10. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Oh wow! That video is great and it definitely has me very excited for the Clone Wars cartoon.

11. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    I think it would sell the movie better with the original actors' voices. There are animated features/characters out there with SW actors' voices already. But I don't think it is absolutely necessary to have them.

In some ways I like the idea of the characters being independent of the actors. For example, Spiderman can be played by various actors; it just has to be somebody good for the audience to like him. That's because Spiderman originally was a comic book and isn't tied to a particular actor's face.

But Star Wars started out as movies and so the actors are associated to specific people's faces. There is some disassociation since Vader and Obi-Wan, Owen, Beru, etc. have been played by different people. But if the story is to stand on its own, it would need to be independent of specific faces.

So, in the long run, it could be liberating that the characters can be played by different people.

I'm still not wild about the art though.

12. Queengodess

Queengodess Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    I would vastly prefer to have them use the actors' voices - hearing the wrong just makes it very hard for me to... believe in the tale.

Anakin's good side? The closeness of Obi-Wan and Anakin? Oooh, I'm so looking forward to this. [face_dancing]

13. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    I would prefer Hayden and Sam Jackson voice their characters as well, but it won't bother me if they do not. I enjoyed the Clone Wars mini-cartoons that were released prior to ROTS, and they did not use any of the movie actors.

14. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Hmm . . . I wonder if the padawan was assigned to further Anakin's education.

Teaching others forces you to think hard about what you know, or think you know. Especially when your beautifully prepared lecture runs aground of your student's puzzled looks.

Also, this would have made pushed Anakin out of his normal perceived role of "slave" into that of "master". I think he will do his best to be the master he wished he had.

Of course, this might not have worked, what with Anakin being Anakin - which is why Obi-Wan is close by to keep a discreet eye on the pair and offer assistance if needed.

Hopefully, some of that made sense.

- lazy

15. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I figured I'd ask here. It's driving me absolutely batty. I have to make a choice on how an AOTC age Anakin would act and I just can't decide.

I'm making up this scenerio so that my readers won't know what I'm talking about but the essence is there.

Anakin has the choice to go look for his Master - who may or may not be hurt or killed in a nearby building (he can't tell because of the darkside) or he can go after a darkside Dooku who just taunted him and is walking away. Anakin wants desperately to kill Dooku to the point of utter fixation.

He can look or he can fight. He can't do both. He knows he can look for Obi-Wan afterwards, but it might be too late then.

So what do you think he'd do?

16. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    IMHO, I think he'd go after Dooku. Without anything else to distract him or someone there to say, hey, Obi-wan comes first, I think he'd go with his feeling of revenge... I'm assuming this is soon after AOTC.

17. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    Hm. I'm inclined to think he'd go for Obi-Wan, myself, although if it turns out Obi-Wan was fine (or at least not Imminently Doomed) he'll be something of a brat after the fact about having missed a chance at Dooku. It's a bit of a fine balance, though, and depends on the details of the situation, so the fact that this is a "substitute" situation throws things off.

There are both good and bad reasons for either decision, is the thing. Vengefulness is an in-character but dangerous reason to go after Dooku; still, Dooku is a key player--chasing him down might be worth prioritizing over either immediate body retrieval or rescue from moderate injuries, if not over rescue from imminent doom. Confidence in his master's ability to look after himself also could play in. On the other side of things, fear of losing Obi-Wan is probably, again, both in-character and potentially dangerous, though it probably wouldn't get him in immediate trouble at this point directly. Loyalty and concern are also very real in him; a lot of the "teetertotter" effect in RotS is based on it. And if this is very shortly after AotC, I really think Anakin would realize he might not be ready to solo Dooku again yet, in which case in addition to the priority balance you'd add weighing the chance of success.

Of course, this sounds like pretty much a split-second decision, so you'd probably have to limit which ones actually go through his mind before the decision, and he might think through the others after committing.

18. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Both of your answers have been very helpful. I know that Anakin has both vengence issues and loyalty issues. I think that's part of my problem because I can see him doing both things and he can only do one. Plus no matter which one I choose, my readers might object that he didn't do the other thing. LOL. I think I'll probably have him go after the 'Dooku' character since I really need him to do that anyway for the plot. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't out of character for him to do so.

19. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    That decision point reminds me of a similar situation with Anakin in the Jedi Quest book, 'School of Feer'. Should he rescue Ferus Olin, or continue with the undercover mission. He rationalized going for the mission. I don't think he hated Ferus that much then, but he didn't like him and he really wanted to go after the mission. Anakin seems to be very good about rationalizing why the thing he really wants is the right thing to do. One of his biggest failings.

20. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    ^^Jude Watson HATES the Anakin character...I believe she once gave an interview stating that she had a hard time separating him from Vader, even when he was a child...*sigh*.

It was obvious to me anyway that she wasn't fond of him when she continously propped up her OC Ferus at Anakin's expense. :(

I don't remember the entire plot, but IIRC Anakin's biggest mistake was not telling Obi-Wan or Siri that Ferus had gone missing and Anakin went into space battle against a planet or something....(oy!). The end result was Anakin looking bad (as usual) like he really didn't give a damn about the other padawan at all. Eh, then again it was Ferus...I wouldn't give a damn either LOL.

21. Jedi_Master_Cazz

Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2005
    Personally, if I were Anakin, I'd go after Obi-wan. From where I'm standing, Anakin's train of thought would probably be, "Well, I can go kick Dooku's @$$. Probably a 20-70% chance against victory, but I could do it anyway. I could go find Obi-wan. 50-50% chance of him being alive, or dead. Dooku can wait another day, better odds for Obi-wan's survival, that are getting lower as the seconds go by. Plus, he's my master, what I want from Dooku is nothing short of revenge."

Although he'd definitely try and rationalize that last point later!:)

Why?

1) Obi-wan is a person, his very own master. Anakin isn't stupid enough just yet to not understand that if Obi-wan dies, thats it. You can't bring him back, Once the times up, its up. In other words, Anakin, taking into account his background, knows that life is valuable.

2) If this is recently after AotC, which it seems it is. Anakin would still have his failure ringing in his ears. But, so would Obi-wan's, and Padmé's counselling. I think Anakin would be aware, that, yes, when Obi-wan's life is in jeopardy, Dooku can wait. He would know that if he resisted Dooku, Obi-wan would be pleased with him, if he's alive. All the more reason to hurry up!

3) Padmé. From what I can see of the Clone Wars, his marriage to Padmé has evened him out a little, until it all went to pot in RotS. He matured. He had someone to off-load all that emotional baggage that the Jedi wouldn't take. I think it would be a position of, "Well, what would Padmé do?" Because he admires her.

Thats my two bob anyway.:)

22. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Your answers were all very helpful. I ended up writing it both ways and then choosing the one that sounded best. So in my story, he goes for the rescue of someone he loves rather than going after the bad guy. Thanks!

23. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Did you know that when you become angry you lose 15 to 30 I.Q. points? That would explain why some people act like idiots when they are mad.

Love the banner.

By the way would any one know how to access the bloobers for episodes 4,5, and 6?

24. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Today when I was in my local Wal-Mart I was flipping through the posters and I found one that was black and gray, it said: Vader was framed!

25. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Hope everyone is getting excited for the new Clone Wars movie!

I'm thinking Anakin's padawan won't make it out, and it will be another notch on the "I failed" belt that Anakin wears for most of his Jedi years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.