main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Anakin/Vader Characterization - Anakin in the New Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by rhonderoo, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I was skeptical, but I'm getting excited now that they're showing the trailers on TV. :D

2. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    I'm still reserving judgment on the Padawan thing, but it's always exciting to have Star Wars on the big screen. :D

3. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    When I read that Anakin was going to have a Padawan, I was like, "Wait, WHAT?"

That was really out of the blue... I'm not sure I care for that. Especially when she's not at all mentioned in ROTS for obvious reasons - she wasn't created then. I think this is just a little bit too much.

And, don't get me wrong, I adore the Clone Wars, but how many different versions will they make? There are books, then the cartoon series, now this - I'm afraid it's getting a little old.

Still, I'm excited about this new movie and am looking forward to seeing it.

- Serena

4. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Well, if nothing else... we have Star Wars in theaters this summer! :D

I've heard that George wants to show the "good man" that Obi-Wan referred to in ANH. Now, I'm sure most of us in THIS thread, anyway, already saw the good man, but I'm glad they're going to drive the point home, to those who claim they didn't. Various faults and actions aside, he was good for most of the PT.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the novelization for this book comes out July 26. That's two days from now! [face_dancing]

5. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Well, I've read the book and saw the movie! I loved them! I thought I'd be disappointed by the Anakin/Ahsoka thing, but it played out well.

Anakin is a very caring master, and she's got the right temperament to work with Anakin.

6. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    I was initially very against the idea of Anakin having a Padawan, but Ahsoka was one of the few parts of the Clone Wars movie that I didn't hate, and the idea has definitely grown on me. It's an entirely new facet of Anakin's life to explore, anyway.

7. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Cartoon Anakin is hot. :*

Oh, sorry. I should say something meaningful, shouldn't I? :p I really like Ahsoka - she's got major chutzpah, like Anakin, but she's still a bit naive and inexperienced (and still very young). What I liked the most about CW Anakin is that he had a lot of maturity when dealing with Ahsoka - despite all of his own wild and unorthodox ways, he picked up a bit of Kenobi wisdom.

One thing that really surprised me was how informally Ahsoka addressed Anakin. Moxie she may have, but she's still a little punk who needs to learn some respect for her elders. [face_laugh]

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I'm torn - I liked Anakin and Ahsoka's interaction. A lot.

Unlike a prior poster, I did not see a lot of "good man" in movie Anakin - oh, it was implied, but it wasn't shown until the beginning of ROTS.

Ahsoka showed Anakin what dealing with an impulsive youngster was like, and I think he appreciated Obi-Wan a bit more after that (while determining to follow his own way).

What I'm not so happy about (but can accept):

Why is such a young lady, girl really, dressed so - it would probably bother me more live-action. Here, it's a just a minor bug about the way women/girls are dressed - whether it's catsuits in Star Trek or tube tops on young girls in Clones (I am totally disregarding real life - this is popular entertainment aimed at kids and a war situation).

I don't see how Anakin having a padawan can possibly translate into future viewings of ROTS when she's not even mentioned. Can any of us see Anakin totally writing off this bright and talented girl without a single comment?

This may be explained, but as yet, it messes up the timeline (there's some great thoughts on this in one of the other forums).

All in all, I liked this Anakin and wish this sense of greater maturity had been able to carry over into the future so that Vader wouldn't have happened.

9. star_writer24

star_writer24 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 15, 2006
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I was thinking the same thing!!!
    I could never understand why Padme went for such a creepy kid, obviously there was side to Anakin we never got to see on the big screen. Sorry if it sound like I'm bashing Anakin I just never really cared for him until I saw this cartoon. I don't know why but for some reason he really reminded me of what Jacen would have been like if he hadn't gone off the deep end as well. Oh well.

10. TNPredsFan

Nov 10, 2004

11. Lord_Redav

Lord_Redav Jedi Master star 1

Apr 29, 2005
    hey, as long as we're on the whole padawan/apprentice thing, has anyone read the new force unleashed novel? What did you guys think of that one? I'm sort of thinking about a fanfic on Vader and Starkiller. It'll be cool, won't it. Personally, the character of Starkiller, Vader's apprentice, interests me slightly more than Ahsoka.

12. TNPredsFan

Nov 10, 2004
    I skimmed a friend's copy of The Force Unleashed graphic novel today, and the story intrigued me enough that I want to read the novel now.

13. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    I read the Force Unleashed graphic novel and enjoyed it very much. (Vader is badass!) I'm not a gamer, but like TNPredsFan, I want to read the novel now.

14. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Would an admitted Obi-Wan fan, and Kenobi-Skywalker fan, like that? I'm not a big Vader fan, or A/P either, for that matter.

That's the other quibble with Clones - we don't get to see much Kenobi-Skywalker team action.

15. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    I think pretty much any fan of the Saga era would like it. The main story is about Starkiller, but there's a nice representation of other characters: Bail, Leia, Vader, Palpatine, Shaak Ti and all the new Jedi/Sith/Fringe. It's a good ensemble cast.

16. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    After going to see Clone Wars, I did like Anakin - Ahsoka annoyed me a bit, but Anakin was better - not as whiny. It's hard to see him go from this to Vader. Obi-Wan was great as always, but I agree - it's too late to bring in a new padawan for Anakin.

There's so much new stuff that it'll be hard to follow this and then dive straight into ROTS. I think Lucas should move onto a new era - preferably after ROTJ. But apparently, he has no interest in doing so. WHY???

- Serena

17. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Well, the live action TV show is supposed to be post ANH, but from everything I've heard, he's leaving post-ROTJ to the EU (Expanded Universe). There has been so much written and done post-ROTJ there, that to change stuff too much would be a disaster...that is if you're one who wants a "continuity".

And I agree with others on the characterization of Anakin before, and him totally "forgetting" someone who would come to mean that much to him. Let's face it, Anakin forms attachments to just about anyone who will treat him with even a small bit of respect or show him a minor bit of attention. I can't see him totally forgetting her, or if something happens to her and he can't "save" her, it not being one of his demons that bother him closer to ROTS.

And he is totally hot in the cartoon. [face_love]

18. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    And because I actually like Ahsoka, the knowledge that she is inevitably going to be forgotten (and in such a short space of time), just makes me really sad.

19. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I was surprisingly taken with Anakin's character in The Clone Wars. He was likeable, caring, and though reckless in the traditional sense, he was also protective of his padawan.

I thought the movie did very well in staying away from Anakin's dark side. He was frustrated now and again, and even angry, but he never lost control.

Thus my lead in to a fic I read recently from karebear214. It's called The Things We Don't Talk About and its one of the most rich self examination fics I've ever read on Anakin Skywalker. Make no mistake, I'm not an Anakin fan, but this movie and this fic have, at the very least, made more sympathetic to him than ever before. They make me want to believe his fall could have been averted. It's kind of tragic, actually. To finally feel some sort of sympathy for him and know what horror he will become. It's much easier to despise Prequel Anakin.

Excellent work GL and karebear214.

20. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I agree. They did a really good job not beating us over the head with Anakin's "issues", and made him more likable and sympathetic.

21. BloodRaven77

BloodRaven77 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 2005
    I actually didn't mind Ahsoka to be honest... But then I went into the movie expecting nothing save that it had two of my personal favorites --Asajj and Dooku. While it was a kids movie (that was a given) I found I rather enjoyed Ahsoka and Anakin's relationship how brother and sister it seemed to be. Although it made my head spin with ideas of what could have happened had she survived Order 66...

22. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Considering Ahsoka isn't even mentioned in ROTS, I have to wonder if she survives that far, let alone until order 66.

23. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Hey, you know that on the wookieepedia they wonder about Vader's Sith name and how if you put 'in' in front of Vader you have invader, an outsider that takes over.
    Weel a few days ago I was at a friend's house trying to watch a Bones episode at 11:30pm. We had read a few Star Wars related articles and I was thinking about other possible combinations and one was the letter e. Put that in front of Vader and you have Evader.

24. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    When the Clone Wars first came out you know how it got flamed? And called a 'kiddie' movie?

Well I went to see it with two brothers and one sister their ages at the time were eighteen, fourteen and and ten. We loved it!

I bought it and my siblings watched it. My seventeen year old sister loved except Ahsoka's smart mouth.

A friend and I babysat five children and we watched it. She loved and she was twenty-three.

And we started to watch the episodes on the 'net and we have had a great time!!!

25. Phobus

Phobus Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 24, 2008
    I think they should have have made a movie from the Force Unleashed instead of the Clone Wars,The Forced Unleashed had a more interesting story,but I do like the series they're showing on cartoon network.Anakin probabaly kills Ahsoka during the Second Jedi Purge like he did to many other jedi that survived order 66.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.