main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA ANTI HYPERSPACE

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Des_Colmar, Sep 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Des_Colmar

Des_Colmar Jedi Youngling

Sep 29, 2005
    SORRY FOR DOING SO MANY POSTS THIS IS MY LAST FOR A WHILE
    anyway i was reading stuff and i think that hyperspace shouldnt be the offical fan club. Because you ahve to pay, this is like selling out. The members get to see deleted scences and addiontial info on the databanks and i am sick of it. Star Wars isnt about paying to see all of it, its should be free to enjoy the complete star wars. WHy shouldnt all fans be aloud to see everything. HYPERSPACE isnt to prove your the best fan so its benefits should be given to everyone and it should be liquidated. The only stuff you should pay for is those gift packets you get for joining but all the deleted scences and such should be free.
    Thank you
    DES COLMAR

2. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Doesn't Lucasfilm have the right to charge people for their intellectual property ?

I'm not a hyperspace member and don't intend on becoming one, but I couldn't care either way if they charge for what they provide or not.

And I'm pretty sure that most of the exclusives that hyperspace members receive will be available to everyone else in due time.

3. Des_Colmar

Sep 29, 2005
    well i hope it is

4. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    So what exactly are you complaining about ?

5. Des_Colmar

Sep 29, 2005
    ok sorry this is going to sound weird but my friend was over and he doesnt like hyperspace so when i left he got onto the computer and write this stuff up. SOrry im changing my password so he cant get back in.

6. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    I have hyperspace.

It's good. (better if you live in the U.S because you get a membership package for the $20 you pay for the year.)

And you get discounted prices at Starwarsshop.com

all the exclusives will be on the DVD anyhoo.

7. Des_Colmar

Sep 29, 2005
    isnt it like $40 over here but i think the ad i saw that with showed that membership came with heaps of stuff

8. Symmbian

Symmbian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2004
    This was the straw that broke the camel's back in my regard for collecting SW merchandise and turned me semi-anti Lucas in the process.

After reading that a section of SW.com was going to be subscriber based, I realised that Lucas could get greedier. This is considering that SW Insider was supposed to be the "Inside scoop" as far as exclusive content was concerned. Even in that respect Insider is bloody expensive, I remember buying a copy in the US in 2001 and it was close to 10 US dollars, but dont qoute me. How much do these merchants that sell sanctioned stuff, expect you to buy before you realise you've spent the weekly shopping allowance and wont be able to eat for a week/fortnight?

As per usual with all American franchises, they flog it till its dead...and then some. And if its appeared on a lunch box you've only quarter flogged the horse.

Symm

9. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Did it ever occur to anyone that George didn't make that decision? Other people work to make money in that business, you do realise right? :p

10. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    When TPM was coming out and everyone started jumping on the collecting bandwagon, Susie wanted to collect something that most other people weren't collecting. Something that was actually fun and good for more than just propping up on a dusty shelf. She was happy to discover a range of starwars lego had been released (everyone likes lego). She figured that would make a nice little set that wouldn't break the budget like the hundreds of figures that were being churned out. She got some. Then some more and before too long had the whole set, hence her username of princess lego on the rare times when she posts. Then she brought out some more. She got all that. Then they released more. Eventually she realised they weren't going to stop bringing out more sets and she decided enough was enough. We have a cupboard full of boxes of starwars lego and only room to display a couple of the completed models and those are only the deluxe sets.
    Back when I was young :p The Kenner figures weren't produced in anywhere near those numbers. I had the complete set and even including doubles there wouldn't have been much more than 100. In those days they were marketed as toys. These days they're nothing more than things to collect. Most of them are pretty useless as toys for kids since they only look good if they're in certain poses. No way a kid could re-enact a scene from a movie with figures unless they've got at least 50 of the bloody things. Rather than having one or two figures for each character, now you get dozens. Obiwan holding light saber. Obiwan not holding light saber. Obiwan with his hair not combed. Obiwan scratching his butt. That's why I've avoided buying any of the new figures.

11. Symmbian

Symmbian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2004
    Yup good point Kart.

Though its known that GL surrended everything to Fox in the early days 'cept the merchandis rights. I find it hard to believe that in this case, as much as CEO's get tucked away in their "never to be found again" offices, someone has to give the green light to do this stuff. And somewhere along the line GL has to be consulted in the Hasbro/Lego and anything else 'fest. Its a kin to the CEO of Holden not being told theres a new car being released. Actually in the case of the Monaro, that kinda did happen.

Ok so maybe my arguement is invalid after all.

Symmbian

12. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    I'm happy to pay for all the exclusives and information on Hyperspace. Its worth it if only for the discounts at starwarshop.com.

But why shouldn't they charge for it? It means the site is always updated and is of a high quality, and some poor bugger is wading through old conceptual art in the lucasfilm archives for all this stuff that's always seing the light of day.

Plus you get the online Bantha Tracks magazine which you'd normally have to pay for anyway, plus they dig up on old issue each month so you can read artivles from the 80's etc..

Plus all of the stuff like Audocasts are pretty good, and are always updated, and the you still have access to the databanks and heaps of other stuff on the site without buying an annual subscription anyway.

So I'm happy to pay $20 for a year of updated exclusive info. -Think- if you bought a Making of cd rom for $80 buck like you used to- it doesn't get updated!

13. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    A little off topic here,

How did Holden not know of the production of the Monaro Sym ?

14. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I think the reference is to the CEO not knowing about something that people in the company were doing (ie producing the monaro). Not uncommon in a big company. Certainly happens all the time in the IT industry. Some of the best software has been produced by programmers in a company without the bosses knowing and in some cases deliberately hidden from the bosses until completion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.