main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hawaii any decent places to live in oahu that isnt two grand a month

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by beezel26, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    yeah I have a job opportunity with my company in Honulu and there is a good chance I want to take it. I know everything is expensive and getting my tools there wont be cheap but finding a place to stay via the internet doesnt look that appealing. the advertiser has nothing but condos for rent.

is there a certain area I should be looking at thats at least nearby a busline thats not outrageous. and no I dont need to see the ocean, my new jobsite will provide that.

what kind of neighborhoods does the city have that are good bad and kinda ugly.

hell kinda ugly is probably still better then what we have here in NY.

2. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    well, a decent studio in a nice neighborhood will be around $1500 or so. You would want to be near the bus line. Car insurance here is mighty high. Gasoline is almost $3.00 a gal. Adult kids don't move out of their parents' home; too expensive to live on your own. I hope your wages will be high enough to cover your basic expenses.

3. JayTee_Erricck

JayTee_Erricck Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    beezel26,

Aloha.

WHERE your new jobsite would be will probably determine where you will want to live. Can you tell us where this might be? As small as O'ahu might be, with all the people & cars, rush hour can get downright unruly. Living near where you work is a great luxury if you can manage it even though most people in Hawai'i aren't so fortunate.

Jay Tee
    http://www.rebellegionhawaii.com

P.S. Saying "Honolulu" can be rather vague considering how much area Honolulu encompases. Can you be more specific? If so, perhaps we can be of better help.

4. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    land rover honolulu

5. JayTee_Erricck

JayTee_Erricck Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    Hi, beezel26!

If you work in the Kaka'ako or Punchbowl areas, you might try the 1) Makiki area for places to rent. You could also try 2) Manoa (the University of Hawai'i area) or 3) Kaimuki.

You're right, though. Finding a decent place to live for under 2 grand a month is quite a challenge. You could try around 4) China Town / Downtown but certain parts of that area aren't as "pretty" as others even though the city administration is now making efforts to clean that area up & make it more family friendly.

I hope this helps.

May the [Good Side of the] Force be with you.

Jay Tee
    http://www.rebellegionhawaii.com

6. fraken8902

fraken8902 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2004
    I was wondering how bad are the taxes there. I am gearing to take the Police exam in Las Vegas in August. I was looking at move out there and finding a contract job until I can get hired by the Honoulu Police.

7. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    have you applied to the Honolulu Police Dept? There was a job fair last week; lotz of opportunities, but wages here are low compared with the rest of the continental US. We live in tax purgatory. Everything is taxxed. We do not have sales tax which is at the consumer purchase end of economics. We have excise tax, which means each level a product moves is taxxed at 4.12 %. By the time we buy the product at the consumer level, it's been taxxed to about 25% all total. It's called the paradise tax. It's a lovely place to live as long as you can afford it. Not trying to discourage you, but this is reality here. Everyone, except for the mega rich, struggle financially.

8. fraken8902

fraken8902 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2004
    I also have some other business plans once I am there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.