main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anyone else feel like people overreact to the Prequels?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Mzukiller, Dec 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I mean even I'll admit that they weren't the best movies. I wasn't aware that they were so bad that Georgie is considered as worse than Hitler for making 'em.

march82015 likes this.
  2. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Yes, yes they do. Probably not as much as they used to, but there are still those that find it necessary to sling barbs when they feel the opportunity to do so presents itself.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  3. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Yes, I do.

By the way, the Original Trilogy movies weren't exactly the best either.

4. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    In what way?

it really depends in how people respond

"The PT suxx, everything is bad Lucas is a hack" yup, these people overreact

"THE PT IS LIKE SOOO AWESOME, there are no flaws in it what-so-ever- hates gonna hate, everything in star wars makes sense! why are you people here?!? love it or find another franchise!!!!" these people overreact as well

it's all about respecting each others viewpoints without being extreme, imo.

5. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Imo it's all very subjective. On one hand, there is an obvious resentment toward the PT, but on the other hand the same can be said for the OT, as those who defend the PT--usually--crack down on the OT pretty hard, themselves. Really, it's a two way street, and fault can be linked to all parties, not just one or the other. Obviously, some individuals go overboard, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles, as, sadly, there'll always be that small minority, who tend to ruin it for the rest of those who want to have honest to goodness, ol' fashioned debates/discussions to get their points across, and to hear others' equally valid points, as well.

Do I think some people overreact about the PT? It's all dependent upon individual interpretation of what overreacting actually is. For instance, in judging the PT, together, with the OT, if overreacting is a flaw based on ones' own preferences, then I, myself could be considered as overreacting, or liking one over the other + being vocal about it, and thus I'd be a hypocrite to state that others are overreacting for doing the same. It's very difficult to make that distinction without bringing personal bias into the equation, but if someone, somehow, attempts to force their opinions on others...then imho yup, that's irrational behavior, and thusly I agree 100% with such being considered as overreacting...and yes, I do think some people tend to do this, but, again, by no means do I feel as if such conduct is aimed solely at the prequels.

TX-20 likes this.
  6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes, people keep overreacting to the PT, it should die down by VII, but I doubt it

7. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    Something tells me that it'll flare back up as we get closer to the release of Ep VII.

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  9. thederekens

thederekens Jedi Youngling

Dec 24, 2013
    I wasn't a fan of the prequels but they did help explain a lot so they weren't horrible. But given the choice to watch the original trilogy or the prequels I'll take the originals. I could watch them all day, everyday

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    As do I. But I have learned one indisputable truth in my years as a fan of this wonderful thing we call Star Wars. Nobody hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans. Especially the PT.

11. thederekens

thederekens Jedi Youngling

Dec 24, 2013
    And I'm really looking forward to Episode 7

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

12. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Actually, 2 of them kinda were "the best" and those are widely seen as 2 of the greatest movies of all time, and not just by geeks like me. I'm talking 'bout, like, ya know, real movie critics.

The prequels were enjoyable, good movies. Their biggest problem is everyone was going to compare them to the originals which, as I said, contain 2 of the greatest movies ever. So it's an unfair standard. The sequels will benefit from the fact that they will be compared more to the prequels than the originals, so they have a lower standard to live up to.

13. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I think only casual fans or movie-goers hate on the PT. Most SW fans love the saga as a whole.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Seagoat like this.
  14. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    Oh, definitely, and on both sides. I don't mind if someone doesn't like them, but some people just love to bash them. Heck, I have family members and friends who claim to be huge OT fans who haven't even watched all of the PT yet bas them and Lucas freely. On the other hand, I've seen plenty of PT fans bash the OT and zealously explain away perceived faults of the PT. I think that, like them or not, the PT is always going to garner strong opinions because it will always be the second Star Wars trilogy. It's always going to be compared and contrasted with the original trilogy. It's always going to be judged by the rules of the previous films and not the other way around.

My guess is that a lot of the PT fans are either folks who grew up with them or were fans who delved into the EU and understood that Star Wars could be something different and more expansive.

15. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    ^ I'm neither. I grew up with Luke's Trilogy and have never been a big fan of the EU (though I've enjoyed some of it), but I love the whole Saga.
    I guess that makes me a Saga fan, though, so maybe I don't fit into the "PT fan" category anyway...

Yes, many do overreact - in many different ways. I've done it plenty of times.

- YOU TURNED HER AGAINST ME!!!!
    - NEVER!!!!

/LM

16. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

And there are those, like myself, who consider both trilogies to be excellent, yet flawed. I feel that all six are first-rate movies, but flawed. But, it's my opinion. Like other opinions, it is not set in stone.

"Real movie critics" my ass.

I don't care. I don't care if 2 of the OT movies are considered among the greatest films of all time. I . . . just . . . don't . . . care. Those critics are merely expressing their opinions. That doesn't mean their opinions should be accepted as fact. Because they're not by me. As far as I'm concerned, their views are still subjective, no matter how many share that view. I don't revolve my opinion of movies around film critics.

"Two greatest movies ever"? You seemed to make this comment as if it is a fact. And it's not. It's just an opinion.

17. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I agree. An opinion will never be more - or less - than an opinion.

- Good is a point of view, Anakin.
    - So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view.

/LM

18. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I understand people not liking the PT. I even understand those who think they are terrible movies (though I disagree with them on basically every count). What I can't understand is the amount of vitriol directed against the PT. It's something that boggles my mind. I just watched the new Hobbit prequel, for example, and I found it to be a rather poor movie (by and large) and, for me, it doesn't sync at all with Lord of the Rings. But that's the end of it. My brother loved that movie -- likes it more than the LOTR films truthfully -- and I'm not going to pretend that my opinion somehow supersedes his. Moreover, I can't imagine dedicating so much energy into thinking about a movie I don't like. Especially over 8 years after the last film came out. I mean, there's plenty of sites online where you can discuss the OT exclusively if you like.

19. Merkual

Jun 3, 2013
    What I can't understand is the amount of vitriol directed against the PT. It's something that boggles my mind.
    ------------------------

I keep hearing this from people but I just don't see it. I do see people showing their displeasure at certain bits and plots in the PT, but I haven't seen anything I'd describe as vitriol in years, and I read this forum often.

I can't imagine dedicating so much energy into thinking about a movie I don't like

I can't speak for people but my guess is because the PT is part of a saga, one which they enjoy a part of. And since we are meant to see these films as long one story it is difficult for some to accept that they are part of the same story, it's like a painting, one half is great, the other half the painting is smudged and colours ingrained, it's not like they can treat them (however hard people try) as separate movies. In other words, they ARE talking about a movie they like, they only don't enjoy the PT part, and stating as such.

Barbecue17 likes this.
  20. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    In pop culture people just need something to hate on so that they feel artistically or morally superior. Same thing with the way people bash Miley Cyrus even though she only does what every female popstar ever has done. The same way they hate on Tim Tebow or on Kanye West.

21. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    In @PiettsHat's defense there are a good number of people on this site who sinmply join up to hate on the PT just to piss us off, or those whose stick to their guns and continually bash the PT. They exist.

In relation to dwelling so much on something you don't like. I find it pretty sad. I mean, I don't like the CW series, I think the CW were covered masterfully enough in combination of the comics, novels, and micro series. The CW cartoon throws so much good content out of the window and turns our SW universe into a cartoony wonderland. But, I simply avoid that portion of the forum and can respect that there are those who do enjoy the series. I don't drop in there and discuss about how much I think it sucks. PT bashers should do the same.

Funny story I was at a house party and some guy who has probly seen each SW movie once started bashing the PT and I went on a tear. Shut him up pretty quick.

22. Merkual

Jun 3, 2013
    I think probably because I'm rather impartial to the PT I don't see it.

Don't get me wrong I don't hate them, definitely not the first two anyway, but eh, if people piss you off best ignore them, I would.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I don't really understand being pissed off at people for disliking something you like, no matter how vitriolic they are in their dislike.

And I can't imagine anyone posting their dislike of something just to piss off the people who like it, unless it's in a fan club or something.

24. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Well, when people set up accounts just to bash the PT, or create websites like "Jar Jar Binks Must Die", or make 90-minute YouTube video dissections, I'd say we're approaching overreaction territory, personally.

Furthermore, the claim that some PT fans go around denigrating the OT needs qualification: more often than not, they may make a jibe or two about the OT, but only in the context of briefly either expressing what they consider more palatable in the PT or arguing from precedent (i.e., a reminder, in their eyes, to those obsessed with the alleged superiority of the OT, that those earlier films have the same or similar "problems").

Overall, I'd say that those people who are prequel fans tend also to be fans of the whole saga, and are normally a lot better behaved. The reason for this should be fairly obvious. People who are happy and contented are more likely, by definition, to be at peace with themselves, while those battling displeasure and dissatisfaction rarely keep quiet about it, and are more likely to focus their agitation on certain targets and spend time venting and chiding others who don't share their frustration or occupy the same emotional frame.

That said, as Lars_Muul wisely acknowledged, overreaction takes many forms, so no-one is immune to extremes of behaviour. By default, we're all posting to a Star Wars message board: compared to the "average" Joe walking around, we're about as insular and geeky as it's possible to get. Differences of opinion become turf wars when there are already strong emotions on the line, pro and con. We would do well to remember that the word "fan" is derived from "fanatic". Still, people given to endlessly spew vitriol about something, or ambush others because their opponents happen to see value and worth in what they only direct hate or disdain towards, are quite feeble, in my opinion, and they not infrequently make me wonder about the sanity of the human animal.

25. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Perhaps we have different ideas of what constitutes vitriol. I saw AOTC, for example, referred to as a "cinematic abortion" a few weeks ago. Now, the person who said that has the right to hold that opinion of course, but it seemed…kinda harsh. To me at least. I mean, even if you think the story, performances, dialogue, and special effects are horrendous in AOTC, there is some stuff that I think would be pleasing to most viewers -- such as the art, the costumes, and the music especially.

But, see, that's the thing I don't understand -- you don't have to see the PT as part of the story if you don't want to. If I don't end up liking the ST, I won't consider it part of my personal Star Wars canon. Or, as an example, when I watch the Hobbit films, I don't consider them as prequels to the LOTR because I can't see them as such (personally). I feel I get more out of them by taking them on their own and accepting them for what they are. Not to say that others must do the same, but they went without the PT part of the story for 16 years. What's to stop them from going back? It just seems like if they feel that the story of Star Wars would be better served without the PT that they should ignore it and talk with like-minded fans.

Note, I'm not saying that these people should get off or be forced off the boards. I'm just saying that I (personally) don't understand their motivations here.

For example The Supreme Chancellor mentions a dislike of the Clone Wars TV series. I don't like it either. Or any of the EU really. So I've stopped reading or watching it and I don't discuss it.

I'm not angry at people for not liking the PT, I just don't understand why one would continue to dedicate time discussing something they dislike or even hate. Certainly, close to its release, I understand why one would vent and express disappointment. But…it's been a while since the PT was released.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.