main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mary Anyone Want to Help Put Together a Star Wars Event in Maryland!?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by TheDarthTony, Jun 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDarthTony

TheDarthTony Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2013
    I was just at Jedicon WV the other day and I had a really good time, and I was wondering if anyone wanted to get together to try and plan an ever a little closer to home. I love all aspects of Star Wars so please chime in if you have any ideas, experience, or just comments.

Ideally I would like to have some vendors selling SW stuff, a few artists, hopefully a guest speaker or two, and maybe some kinds of competitions, Like a cosplay contest, lightsaber tournament, art contest, or anything. Let me know what you think!

2. Motterman

Motterman Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 22, 2000
    Hey there... Yes, I have started a group in Frederick, MD for Star Wars fans. I am hoping it culminates in an Official Star Wars Line for each of the upcoming Star Wars movies, and who know what other goals we may set. It's an open group, so everybody is free to join!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/392545920854399/

3. SookMidrub

SookMidrub Jedi Knight

Mar 18, 2009
    I would be down to collaborate with anyone willing to put on a Star Wars event. I live in downtown Baltimore, so there are some prime spots to generate excitement. Convention Center, the Inner Harbor, even the more famous, historic parts of the city, like Fort McHenry and Federal Hill.

Let's even do something for a Ravens or Orioles game! I've always wanted to meet so many SW fans near me, and Baltimore is a hub for some heavy hitters...(Jovial Jay, Eric G and Eric B from the podcasts are all nearby...James Luceno lives in Annapolis).

Let's DO IT!

4. Hello_Fett

Hello_Fett Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2013
    I live in Harford County, but would love to help in anyway I can! I would be able to put in volunteer time and I personally know one of the theforce.net admins if we wanted to get him involved.

5. TheDarthTony

TheDarthTony Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2013
    I was actually checking out Hello Fett's page earlier today after you posted in the Frederick group. What are your guys interests/passions with Star Wars and would would you like to try to put together? In addition to planning a larger scale event, I think we should consider some smaller events for fundraising/gaining interest. There is a pretty good 501st pressence in our state and I see them at events in Ellicott City all the time, so they will be fun to bring into the fold.

6. Hello_Fett

Hello_Fett Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2013
    Right now I am the only admin, but I'm hoping if it can be a part of something larger, that Hello Fett will be able to grow, or maybe merge with something else.

I want to help in anyway possible as long as it works with my schedule. Maybe we should all take the time to sit down and jot ideas, and then start brainstorming as a group. Maybe even a recruitment off of the forums would help?

7. Django Fett33

Django Fett33 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 19, 2013
    I know this post came out a while ago, but what happens at a SW convention? i have been to the comic book conventions in Baltimore and there really fun but i never been to a SW convention.

there should be someone dressed in star trek gear lol that would be funny.

Hello_Fett likes this.
  8. Motterman

Dec 22, 2000

Bump...1 year and counting.

9. Orwick

Orwick Jedi Knight star 1

May 13, 2014
    Hey Motterman,I'm organizing a grand party for the midnight premiere at the Alamo Drafthouse One Loudoun. Here is a thread tagged with Wash, DC in this forum: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...emiere-alamo-drafthouse-one-loudoun.50024851/. We'll be featuring reserved seating so while we may not have that epic camping in line feeling, there will be a party starting probably around 6 pm the night of with lots of Star Wars related activities. Perhaps we can join forces to make this a coordinated effort?

10. Orwick

May 13, 2014
    My dream was to organize something that I hope will have more gravitas and spectacle than a typical midnight release at a local for Washington DC Metro area fans who want to participate. I'd like this event to ease fans' minds about waiting in line, and the Alamo Drafthouse has reservation system for all seats. However, just because there are reserved seats doesn't prevent celebration of all things Star Wars beforehand. Luckily, Aaron Prescott, the creative manager at the Drafthouse, is also a big Star Wars fan, and has been really helpful and responsive.

Here are a few things I'm actively working on for the premiere party day of December 17:

- 501st Legion Appearance - I'm working with the Nothern VA Garrison coordinator to have the 501st in attendance and keeping them in sync with the latest details.
    - Electronic Arts Game Showcase - I'm hoping to have Electronic Arts showcase their upcoming (maybe released by then) video games; particularly Battlefront at the event. I'm talking with an EA contact now on the details, this is not confirmed yet, but I'm optimistic.
    - Fantasy Flight Games Showcase - Similar to EA, I'd love to have Fantasy Flight there demoing their tabletop offerings like X-Wing, Imperial Assault, and the Star Wars LCG. Similar to EA, this is not confirmed yet, but I'm in contact with the Fantasy Flight Games Event Coordinator and I'm optimistic.
    - Other possibilities I'm trying to secure include Star Wars media personalities and much more.

Perhaps we can see if the Alamo is also willing to host an official line (even if there are reserved seats) for exposure and community outreach. Let me know what you think.

11. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    So, I wanted to reboot this thread, and find out if Alamo Drafthouse is doing anything "official"...that is, a Star Wars event they're planning on their own.

Orwick which theater are you trying to plan for?

12. Orwick

May 13, 2014
    Rookhelm Luckily the Alamo Drafthouse One Loudoun's event coordinator, Aaron Prescott is also a big Star Wars fan. and I've been working with him to plan the midnight premiere party since the beginning. Things are moving along great with planning the event. We have a website is up to sign up for updates: http://awakensdc.splashthat.com/. Unfortunately, ticket sales and advanced reservations are controlled by the Studio, so they probably won't be available until the fall. I would love to get as many Star Wars fans in the area to join in! I hope that answers your questions, but let me know if you have any other questions or want to help out with Planning.

13. Motterman

Dec 22, 2000
    Return of the Bump-a-saurus

14. Motterman

Dec 22, 2000
    I guess if TFA didn't re-ignite this place, then this place is truly dead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.