main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Are the OT cast too old now?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhinyLuke, Oct 31, 2012.

1. WhinyLuke

WhinyLuke Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2012
    Do you think Hamill, Fisher and Ford are to old? I could see Hamill is a Obiwan type roll but not sure if I could see Fisher or Ford having much need. Would ford even do a Star Wars moie again?

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I don't think they'd be too old to do it, but I'd rather they didn't, regardless.

3. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Ford might be (he's 70), but Fisher and Hamill definitely aren't (Fisher is only 56 and Hamill is 61). That isn't to say that I think they'll all end up being approached about returning, or that they'll say 'yes' if they are. Of the 'big 3' I think the most likely to be approached about returning is going to be Hamill.

Darthdave75 likes this.
  4. WhinyLuke

WhinyLuke Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2012
    Yes I think they need him as a older Jedi to tie the movies together. Maybe not a major role but they need someone other than droids to do that.

5. fettmaster39

fettmaster39 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 9, 2005
    Hamil would probably do it, Ford and Fisher might not have to.

6. President Kenobi

President Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    I think you have to have Luke appear at least in this first film if not all three. Star Wars is the story of the Skywalkers and we need to have a transition from Luke to the next generation.

The Corellian likes this.
  7. GargantuanThrillMachine

GargantuanThrillMachine Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2012
    upon hearing the announcement:

- mark hamill chokes on his pbr and run across the street to call lucas from his neighbor's phone

- harrison ford turns off his cellphone

- carrie fisher heads to the liposuction clinic

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Too old for what exactly? To be major characters in E7, yes. For a cute little hologram of grandparents... maybe not so much.

rhonderoo and PrincessKenobi like this.
  9. Hermi_Odle

Hermi_Odle Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 18, 2011
    I'd love for the "big three" to return and I think they would given the right circumstances, needless to say the pay check, haha! Anyway Mark seems to be on good terms with Lucas and SW as a whole, didn't he host Celebration a few years ago when they first showed that clip of Luke making his green saber?? Carrie, possibly, she was the only one of the main cast to agree to audio commentaries so she must have some good standing with Lucasfilm, as for Ford, I think he'd do it. He agreed to Indy 4 after all these years so why not resurrect Han Solo, even for just a brief cameo? We all want to know what happened to these characters, and while the EU fills in a lot of the blanks, it can't compare to an actual on-screen adventure with Lucas involved.

10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    It really just depends on how they are going to play this. I don't think they are too old if they go a little further in the future, they are if we start pretty immediately following ROTJ.

I hope Mark at least has a cameo; I think Luke needs to be included. Han and Leia, I really don't know.

11. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Recast the Leia character. Carrie just doesn't match the role anymore.

12. fettmaster39

Jun 9, 2005
    No recasting, no rebooting, please.

13. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Why use live actors when you can CG them? Hamill's a talented voice actor so I'm sure he'd be up to whatever the script calls for.

14. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    If ep 7 is set 30 years after ROTJ, then no, they are not too old. No actor is too old if they can still stand and deliver lines. Maybe they won't be running about like in the OT, but they can still do just as much as any other "old" actor did in the past films. Ian, Christopher Lee, Alec and Cushing are all older than Mark and Carrie. Harrison is ten years younger than Lee was when he appeared in AOTC.

ShelbySpencer likes this.
  15. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Be ready for the inevitable reboot. Once this thing hits 15 movies, it'll be time to remake the original trilogy.

IndyRedLeader likes this.
  16. fettmaster39

Jun 9, 2005
    I really don't think Disney would do that. Fox or Sony maybe, but I trust Disney to leave the existing properties alone, but continue with the stories.

Because then you end up with Episode II Attack of the Clones. ;)

ShelbySpencer likes this.
  17. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Mark Hamill recently just gave up voicing the Joker...why would he want to go all the way back to reprise Luke Skywalker?

18. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    With Han Solo in a General Riekan-like role...

Leia Organa-Solo in a Mon Mothma-like role...

... and Luke Skywalker in an Obi-Wan-like role...

... how can you possibly go wrong?

RareSaturn and ShelbySpencer like this.
  19. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Here's how I think it'll go down... Hamill would almost certainly say yes to returning, in any kind of role of any size, whether it's "passing the torch" (my own preference) or being a major character. The key actor in all this is Fisher. If she returns for some kind of role, then Ford will reprise the Han Solo role. But if it's just Hamill, I can imagine Ford saying, "What do you need me for, he's our representative," especially if it's a "passing the torch" kind of deal.

I have to agree with Darth_Harmon, if it's in the right timeframe, then no actor is too old. Someone mentioned Hamill's voice acting... he wouldn't even need to voice his own computer-generated younger self (no thanks), he could voice any character and be awesome.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  20. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Money?

21. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I think that besides Mark, everybody else is just to old. What I think they should do is leave episode 1,2,3 as they are, and remake the OT, and bring it up to date.
    Let's face it, the duels in the OT are just terrible when compared to the pt. The duel between Vader and Obi-one in a New Hope is cringe worthy. Rebooting the movies, and bringing in some fresh faces would be a good start, that way we can get the same character in the new movie that took part in the reboot..
    After we what we have seen what the Jedi and the Sith are truly capable off, the OT just doesn't quit cut it.

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Oh Jesus Christ.

I don't want any of the original characters except maybe the droids, and if Daniels is too old then it's fine if they're out too.

Adam of Nuchtern, Manisphere and tom like this.
  23. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Not too old at all. I would like to see Mark Hamill as the older, wiser Luke mentoring younger Jedi. A small role for Ford and Fisher would be nice, as well as Billy Dee as Lando.

24. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Exactly

jainasky and ShelbySpencer like this.
  25. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I disagree with every sentence in this post. There are senior citizens in every STAR WARS film to date, and since Carrie Fisher (who is looking fit and trim these days) is younger than Hamill your first sentence especially makes no sense.

The original films are gorgeous, there's no need to remake them.