main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Are the OT cast too old now?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhinyLuke, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I think you're not getting the point: the EU isn't as sacrosanct or untouchable as you'd like to believe. I'm certain that some of the stuff in the PT created the need for EU retcons here and there. I honestly don't know or care whether these retcons ultimately worked or not; that's how little regard I have for the EU. Don't get me wrong, I read a bunch of the Bantam and DelRey novels. But ultimately most of the stuff therein is fluff -- officially sanctioned and published fanfic, IMO. And if most of the Bantam stuff was bad, the DelRey stuff from the NJO forth was atrocious.

Lucas (supposedly) didn't care about the EU, especially if it affected his so-called creative vision. So if the Creator of SW didn't care about it, why would his succesors? Perhaps the publishing arm of LFL is very succesful, but that doesn't mean its output is more important than that of the studios. So...if the new keepers of the lore decide to utterly ignore if not outright steamroll existing EU content, so be it. Truth be told, I really won't mourn Mara, the Solo kids, Thrawn, Pelleaon, Karrde, etc., etc. if their stories are wiped out for the sake of a new SW flick. Besides, most of those guys are already dead anyway. :p

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    No it's not, but if you have to retcon a lot of stuff if you directly go to NJO era, including good EU like Thrawn Trilogy and X wing. Especially the EU is very well known and expanded right now and there is very little chance that they could create good plot and history of 4ABY-40ABY in 2-3 years. The PT only retconned like some old comics plus some short stories of Boba Fett.

3. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    So why not choose TotJ or KOTOR? The story is awesome and we don't have to retcon so much EU or take the risk of recast/old cast.

4. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Mark hamill was contacted last august.

Hamill: Yeah, last August, he asked Carrie and I to have lunch with him and we did. I thought he was going to talk about either his retirement or the Star Wars TV series that I’ve heard about—which I don’t think we were going to be involved in anyway, because that takes place between the prequels and the ones we were in and, if Luke were in them, he’d be anywhere from a toddler to a teenager so they’d get an age-appropriate actor—or the 3-D releases. So when he said, “We decided we’re going to do Episodes VII, VIII, and IX,” I was just gobsmacked. “What? Are you nuts?!” [laughs] I can see both sides of it. Because in a way, there was a beginning, a middle, and an end and we all lived happily ever after and that’s the way it should be—and it’s great that people have fond memories, if they do have fond memories. But on the other hand, there’s this ravenous desire on the part of the true believers to have more and more and more material. It’s one of those things: people either just don’t care for it or are passionate about it. I guess that defines what cult movies are all about. We’ll see. I’m anxious to know what’s going on, but the main story [yesterday] was the sale to Disney. I have mixed feelings about that, but they haven’t done badly by Marvel and the Muppets and Pixar. It’s one of those big decisions that at first seems unusual but then the more you look at it, the more it makes sense.
    EW: When you had lunch with George, did he get into any details with you about where the story would go in the next three films, or whether you would have a part in them?
    Hamill: Well, no, he was just talking about writers and the fact that he wouldn’t be directing. I guess he wanted us to know before everybody else knew. He said, “Now you can’t tell anybody!” [laughs] Even now I’m nervous about saying anything. I just don’t know!

5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'm just going to go ahead and say that I ****ing already hate the term "the big three."

6. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Yo, Saurion-Fett... source?

7. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    Christopher Lee, Ian Mcdiarmid , and Alec Guiness were all older gentlemen who played significant roles in the Saga, and did quite well at it I think. As long as they don't try to shoehorn the original cast into roles that aren't age appropriate, I think they would do just fine.

8. darthjj88

darthjj88 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 31, 2012
    Agreed

9. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    LawJedi likes this.
  10. Womprataouille1974

Womprataouille1974 Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    I think that Mark Hamill returning is likely to happen. The entire Saga is in essence, the story of the Skywalker's. I do not think that we necessarily need to see a film about " the old gang" getting back together for another adventure. LFL and Disney want to tell a new story and we as fans want to see a new story. Luke Skywalker is the one thread we really need to bind the saga together.

11. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I think Hamill is a must! The other 2 are not needed...

12. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    See I don't quite get that. Why wouldn't we want to see the other twin? Personally, one of my biggest frustrations with ROTJ was always the idea that we learn about Leia's heritage, but nothing else. I wanna see ole dame Leia rocking a Jedi Council chair.

13. Rodimus1980

Rodimus1980 Jedi Knight

Nov 1, 2009
    If Christopher Lee can play a convincing Sith Lord, then Mark Hamill can play a convincing Jedi Master and Head of the New Jedi Order. Just please move the Jedi's away from being monks and more like King Arthur's Knights. That's how I pictured them back in the 80s.

14. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Jake Lloyd is too old for these next generaation of Starwars movie. Absolutely no one from THE saga should appear or partake in these new next generation of films, bring on new talent, new actors, new direction. Its many hungry actors & actresses out there, give them a chance.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  15. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Yes recast, reboot! Ctrl Alt
    Delete install new OS! Give creaters & writers a chance to create new icons. We don't need anyone from the old 6 films.

16. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    I bet we see a re boot ...in 2027 three years after the ST finishes 50 years after Star Wars......Disney you sly bastarads

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i just really want to know what happens to the rancor keeper, so i hope he's not too old. he was so sad after his rancor died. i hope he gets a new rancor.

18. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I was hoping one day they would do the Sith overthrow of the First Republic, which happens a thousand years before TPM. Maybe one day, right? Now with new owners, anything is possible.

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Emperor is 68 right now. Hopefully Ian McDiarmid has a cameo

20. fettmaster39

fettmaster39 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 9, 2005
    Do you know what 'reboot' means? It means erase the page, and start all over again.

For example, when Sony rebooted Spider-Man, it meant that all previous Spider-Man movies ceased to exist, and this character was made new again in his new movie universe.

Do you really want them to erase the Star Wars movies from Star Wars movie continuity? That wouldn't make too much sense would it?

By all means, give freedom to new writers and directors to move the story forward how they want to. But leave the existing movies and their continuity alone.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  21. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Mark seems the most relevant, especially if it has anything to do with Luke passing the torch to the next generation like some have suspected the sequel trilogy to entail. Harrison and Carrie would be nice but might not be relevant to that. And I also think Mark could put on Jedi robes and pass as an older Luke without feeling too out of place, while Harrison and Carrie trying to pick their characters back up might just seem out of place. I mean, what's Leia doing thirty years later? Does it have anything to do with some space adventure of the next generation? Would Harrison as Han Solo after decades of living a responsible life and being with Leia even really feel like Han Solo anymore?

darthgator1217 likes this.
  22. AbelothIsSexy

AbelothIsSexy Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2012
    They are the perfect age to come back and have the series pick up right where the novels are now, 40 years after Endor. They could kill off Luke, Leia, and Han in Ep7 and pass the torch on to their kids. They need to keep the EU as Canon. There's too much invested already to change it now.

23. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Agreed. Luke is the most important character and he is the most likely one to appear in the next movies. The question is is Luke going to be old or will they do the reboot? Starting fresh with a "next generation" might help avoid some unnecessary baggage.

24. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I think none of them are too old, but agree that they only need one of them.

I think it should be Carrie Fischer. Hamill's the obvious choice for needing a passing of the torch type of thing...but I don't see why Leia can't serve the same purpose at all. She is "another" afterall. Luke could have passed on what he had learned to her and she could have done her own research/training herself in between trilogies. It's so easy for us to presume that she'd just fall right back into step as a politician/royalty or one of the three most overused female arch-types in any medium: love interest/mother/victim. I would find it absolutely refreshing to have her be the one that restored the Jedi Order and it's place in the New Republic. Luke can appear in spirit to her and would avoid the difficulty of having a non-Alec Guiness Ghost!Obi-Wan still hanging out with Luke instead. Ghost!Hayden is possible, but would totally symbolically take away from any narrative progress and impact. And of course Ghost!Yoda would completely be possible...but having any of the three missing would still bring up "why isn't Ghost!whoever helping out or giving his input on whosawhatsit situation? A Ghost!Luke for a Jedi Master Leia would just be simple and not messy - she has no attachment to Yoda, Obi-wan nor Anakin. It's not like Ghost!QuiGon was ever like "Hey, hey Luke! Yeah you...can you hear or see me? Yeah, hi...you don't know me but I knew Ben and Yoda from back in the day, you can trust me..."

25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Then how are you gonna explain all the conflicts between this 40 years and all the new characters and development? Their children already experienced a lot, you cannot just put them in.

Original kids? Then it means tons of EU would get kill off.