main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Arizona Book Fest April 3 with Zahn, Foster and Stackpole (+ others)

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by leew, Feb 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leew

leew Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2003
    Following the response to the initial thread about the book festival and other events, I figured it would be best to start up a separate topic just for the Book festival.

The (Current) Details:

The Arizona Book Festival
    April 3, 2004 - 10 am to 5 pm
    Carnegie Center 1101 W. Washington St, Phoenix, Arizona

Appearing on the Festival main stage will be:

Ron Carlson
    Nancy Farmer
    Alan Dean Foster
    Diana Gabaldon
    Ursula K. Le Guin
    Tom McGuane
    U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

Appearing at the Central Arizona Speculative Fiction (CASFS) Booth and participating in a sf/f program block:

Timothy Zahn
    Emily Devenport/Lee Hogan
    Ernest Hogan
    Dennis L. McKiernan
    Adam Niswander
    Michelle M. Welch
    Michael A. Stackpole
    John Vornholt

The festival is a free event with 100+ booths of various local book dealers, literary organizations and such. I am in charge of the CASFS and LepreCon booths where we will have the listed authors appearing. We will have signings scheduled throughout the day and will also have a two hour program block at one of the side stages. Times have not been set - I'm waiting to find out when our program block is and will schedule the signinhs around that.

The main stage authors will sign at the festival's Author's lounge.

CASFS has received a grant from the Arizona Humanities Council (the festival sponsor) that has allowed us to bring in Timothy Zahn for the festival. He will take part in the program block and sign at the CASFS booth. Since he is being brought in by CASFS and not the book festival, I won't guarantee that the book sellers at the festival will have any of his books, so you'd do best to bring some with you.

The book festival's web site is at http://www.azbookfestival.org/

Details on the CASFS/LepreCon activities are at http://www.casfs.org/azbookfest.html

At the CASFS and LepreCon booths, we're planning to also have some prize drawings and will have lots of info on all the upcoming conventions.

From the prior thread, it sounds like a lot of you are interested in coming out, and in costume. That would definitely be good to have and draw attention to our authors and the booth. We don't have a lot of space to set up any big displays, but we might be able to do a poster or two. We will definitely have room for some club flyers.

I've asked Tim if he might be willing to do something special with the Star Wars fans on Friday or Saturday night. I'll keep you posted on his response.

Any questions, please post them here or email me at leewsftv@yahoo.com.

Lee Whiteside

2. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    Man...this sounds so cool...

I would love to see Zahn again...I have other books that I would like signed.

And I would like to meet Stackpole too.

3. LORDPARSEC

LORDPARSEC Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Sounds great, Lee! Keep us posted! :)

4. LORDPARSEC

Feb 5, 2002
    'Might not be a bad idea to get get some sort of a list going of costumed people that want to partake in this event. Sand_Dancer and I are down!

Kyle Katarn
    Jan Ors

5. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    I will be there as Grand Admiral Thrawn.

6. LORDPARSEC

Feb 5, 2002
    Nice! We're waiting to hear from Dooku... he has wedding to attend that day and isn't sure what time it's at. :) I'm pretty sure JediHUnterAlpha wants to go as his Character from our upcoming fanfilm. :D

7. leew

leew Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2003
    I now have a schedule for the Book Festival.

On the main stage:

Nancy Farmer 10 am
    Ursula K LeGuin noon
    Alan Dean Foster 1 pm
    Diana Gabaldon 3 pm

The CASFS Programming block will be from 10 am to noon. Signings will be scheduled throughout the afternoon. I need to verify with the authors if they want to see Foster or LeGuin before getting the signing schedules done. Zahn's solo talk/reading portion of our block will likely be around 11 am.

Lee

8. LORDPARSEC

Feb 5, 2002
    ...Plus a little something I'll let you all know about at the meeting! ;)

9. LORDPARSEC

Feb 5, 2002
    I just wanted to bump this back up as a reminder! Webb put this on the home page of PHXFF.NET!

I also wanted to bump it so you costumed people could start thinking about whether you want to attend this event(Of course non-costumed people are welcome to join us! I always seem to get flack about that ;) ). I know I do. I think it would be great and it would be some good publicity for the PFF! Especially in this time of change! I'll PM Bunny about possibly getting some flyers to take with Brenda and I. Lee said there was room for flyers! I'll also be emailing him again soon!

-LP :D

10. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    Joel, I don't suppose your dad could make an appearance as Pellaeon...? ;)

11. LORDPARSEC

Feb 5, 2002
    If we had the costume... (shrugs) ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.