main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Aurélia's drawings - Update: Han Solo WIP finished

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by aurelia-acc, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    o.

m.

g.

that looks amazing.

2. Handmaiden_Azul

Handmaiden_Azul Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Oh my. oh my. You are beyond good. You are beyond great. Wow.

3. aurelia-acc

aurelia-acc Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2005
    First, belated thanks for your kind words :* Sorry for staying away from the boards that long. I've spent a lot of time drawing since my last WIP here but nothing SW related.

Anyway, I've at last started a new SW related artwork. It's a kind of double portrait if I can say so because it's picturing both Han Solo and his "carbonite double". This summer I tried to make artworks with background like these ones (well, for Jensen it's in fact a foreground lol)
    [image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/lotr/frodon01.jpg] [image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/jensen/jensen22.jpg]
    and I thought drawing carbonite would be a good exercise to use dark tones. The idea is to have Han Solo beside his carbonite version (you know, like when we see an actor before the poster of his movie during an interview) with a little smile as if he was saying "It's not that great if you ask me" or "Carbonite? I wouldn't recommend it to you". I hope it makes sense [face_thinking]

Here is what I've done so far
    [image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/starwars/wip/hansolo01_etape06.jpg]
    and here are the links of the previous steps: step 1, step 2, step 3, step 4, step 5.
    The artwork is made on Arches watercolor hot pressed paper, with graphite.
    Size: 20x24 cm

4. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    one word: WOW.

I LOVE your artwork, aurelia!!!!! Han Solo REALLY looks awesome!!! I can't wait till we get to see the finished vrs. of that one!!!

God bless!
    ~N

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Glad to see you back, aurelia! :D

I have to say you came back in full force and I'm really loving your Han drawing so far! The concept is an interesting one and I'm sure it'll look great when it's all set and done. Anything with Han gets me all giddy. :p

6. wise-bi-wan

wise-bi-wan Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 8, 2006
    Had to post..... The talent is with you, Aurelia.[face_hypnotized]

7. Daenna

Daenna Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2006
    Haha! Supernatural is such a KICKASS show!!! And Dean rules! I love it!!!
    *thumbs up*

8. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Aurelia's back!! Aurelia's back!!

[face_dancing][face_dancing]

And what a way to herald a return!!

:eek::eek:
    =D==D=

I can't even describe the feeling when I looked at your latest posts, Master...awe is the only word that even comes close! The LOTR piece is...perfect. There's no other way to put it: perfect. The tonal quality throughout is astounding, but the way you rendered the ring, with its reflective and engraved surface...unbelievable. Perfect likeness of Frodo--you absolutely captured his innocent gaze.

And Jensen... =P~=D= I know he's one of your favorites to draw, but this doesn't even look like a drawing--it looks like a b/w photo!! Your skill and talent just leaves me breathless (so it's a good thing I can type this rather than have to "gush" it aloud!)! And the car!! How did you do that?!

The Han/Frozen Han piece is amazing even as a WIP--your deep contrasts are really making it explode off the paper--it looks real enough to touch! And I love the concept--sort of a "before-and-after" from ROTJ! ;) Thank you (again!) for sharing the progress shots--it's always such a treat to see them--and I cannot wait to see the finished piece! BTW--did your Leia braiding her hair win the contest you entered her in...? (Like I have to ask...silly Falcon! :p )

It just makes me giddy to have you posting again, Master! Welcome back, and I know I speak for all of us here in the forum when I say we couldn't be happier to see you again! :D

FF

9. aurelia-acc

Jun 14, 2005
    @ Nidrail : Thanks for your message [:D] I hope I'll have the time to finish it in the coming week so you shouldn't have long to wait ;)

@ HanSolo29 : Thanks Steph [:D] I'm glad such a Han lover likes the concept ;)

@ wise-bi-wan: Thanks for your comment :)

@ Daenna: Supernatural is a great show and Jensen plays an amazing Dean [face_love]

@ FalconFan: Thanks for the warm welcome Deb :* and of course thanks for your kind words about the artworks[:D].
    Yes, I won the little contest with Leia. Talking about Leia, I know I did the drawing quite a long time ago but I have redrawn her hair as a step-by-step for a member of another art forum so if someone is interested, let me know and I'll post it in the next update. If you want, I also have a step by step for blond hair this time, from this drawing of Amanda Tapping:
    [image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/stargate/amandatapping01.jpg]

Here is an update for Han. Some tones are missing on his cheek and the middle part of his forehead is not finished but that's all I had the time to do today
    [image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/starwars/wip/hansolo01_etape07.jpg]

Thanks again for all your kind words *hugs to everyone*

10. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    *bounces up and down*
    YYESS!!! I absolutely LOVE your tutorials (i.e. step by step) on drawing!!!!!

And Han is sure coming alone nicely!! I like how shiny his eyes look. Very cool :)

11. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    OMG... **breathless sigh**

The Amanda Tapping piece is stunning! Geez, it almost brings me to tears, everything looks so real! Her hair...just incredible...how in the world do you get all the soft, single strands to be highlighted that way...? I keep looking at it and looking at it, and it just doesn't seem possible with graphite...amazing.

Han looks fabulous--and I so totally agree with Nidrail: his eyes are just photographic! Absolutely jaw-dropping, Master! =D=

**sits down to study the new work some more**

FF

12. NLSkywalker

NLSkywalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2005
    Oh ,my goodness! I've just seen your art works! They are BRILLIANT:eek: I can feel your passion for fine arts and I really admire you have such patience to draw those delicate little things like locks of hair etc.[face_love]

13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Amazing, simply amazing! Each pass you make on it really brings the piece to life! I can't wait to see the finished product!

And a belated congratulations on winning that contest with your Leia drawing! It was well deserved and count me into the camp that would love to see that hair tutorial. ;)

14. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    =D= Outstanding as always.

15. DarknessofDeath

DarknessofDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2006
    wow. your really good with likeness...-sighs- ... could u do me one of Famke Janssen and Hayden ? :p

16. aurelia-acc

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks everyone for your messages.[:D]
    and as I already said, I don't do request ;)

Here are the hair tutorials I was talking about. To make it more practical, I've placed all the scans & explanations on a jpg file.
    For Leia, the scans are in real size:
    [image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/wip/tutohairleia.jpg]

For Amanda Tapping, the size of the scans on the tutorial is 50% so I also give you a link to versions scanned at 200dpi.
    [image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/wip/tutohairamandatapping.jpg]
    scan 1, scan 2, scan 3, scan 4, scan 5, scan 6,scan 7

If your interested I also have a turorial to draw an eye
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/aureliacc/tutorial/panel-en.jpg]

and here is today's update for Han
    [image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/starwars/wip/hansolo01_etape08.jpg]

17. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    OMG thank you thank you thank you for the tutorials!!! I LOVE how you drew that eye!!!!!!!!

And Han looks... well, Like Han!! REALLY awesome!!!!!

18. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    **joins Nidrail in grateful bowage!**

=D=[:D]

These are outstanding tutorials, Aurelia!! =D= A perfect gift for all of us who so love and admire your work!! The one for the Amanda Tapping piece is especially wonderful (the skintones under hair over cheeks and foreheads were always an after-thought for me before! Thank you so much!)!

And the eye tutorial is superb as well!! What a beautiful eye--it needs a face now! lol! ;)

Han looks....yummy!! [face_love]=P~ He looks so real...and so handsome (I think you've actually made him more handsome, to tell the truth! :D )!!

Beautiful, beautiful work--you're so generous with your advice, comments and tutorials--thank you so much, Master! [:D][:D]

FF

19. aurelia-acc

Jun 14, 2005
    ;) Thanks Nidrail, thanks Deb, I'm glad you enjoy the step-by-steps. :)
    Deb, I apply the graphite on the forehead before drawing the hair because I usually blend at least the 1st layer of graphite and if I was doing it after drawing the hair, I would risk blending the hair at the same time and would have to draw again the hair locks.

Here is an update for Han.
    [image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/starwars/wip/hansolo01_etape09.jpg]
    Don't pay attention to the tag, the drawing is not finished yet, it's just a kind of protection as it's almost done. With the problems I've already had with some stolen drawings, now it's better safe than sorry.
    I've added a part of the carbonite tonight after that scan and hopefully, the drawing should be finished tomorrow evening. :)

20. TheOnlyJediPrincess

TheOnlyJediPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2006
    Wow that's really cool! I like how you show it step by step. I was just wondering how long it takes you to work on something like the Han Solo Picture?

21. semicooke

semicooke Legacy Concept Artist star 1 VIP

Dec 1, 1998
    HAD to say, these portraits are absolutely amazing. Great images, informative thread!

Always had my share of problems with full shading in pencil. Every single one of these is on the mark!

22. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    The texturing/shading on the carbonite is absolutely mindblowing...

23. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Wow, that is an amazing drawing of Han! When I saw the thumbnail I thought it was actually a photo of him. You attention to detail is amazing. And great job on the hair.

So people steal your drawings? Are they saying they drew them or simply using them in their websites?

Great job!

JL

24. aurelia-acc

Jun 14, 2005
    @ TheOnlyJediPrincess: Thanks. The finished artwork, that you can see below, has taken about 50 hours. It's a little more than usual because of the carbonite and the double portrait aspect of the drawing. It usually takes me about 40h to complete a black and white portrait.

@ Madine and That_Wascally_Droid : Thanks for your messages [:D]

@ Jedi_Lover : Thanks for your kind words.
    About people stealing my work, unfortunately both cases have happened. Padmé was stolen at least 3 times but each time, the thief in question had kept the "ACC" on the drawing . For Marilyn, both the signature and the tag had been removed.

Back to Han ;) Here is the finished version of the artwork. His face shouldn't appear as light as it is but all the dark parts of the artwork kinda alter the contrasts on the scan.
    [image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/starwars/hansolo01.jpg]

25. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    WoW

Not much to say on that one--
    What a beutiful piece!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.