main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bad news everyone. Infinities is spreading. To Dark Forces Novels and the Handbooks

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Valiento, Jul 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Dave land and who ever is in charge of the Official DH timeline. Has just added more products to the infinities label.

Remember all those products not locked down in the actual part of the timeline?

Well, devilworlds is now official infinities, which I can understand, since it was always considered apocryphal.

Tales now has the Icon placed on the whole range of issues, on it's section.

The excellent Resource guides, Star Wars handbooks are now infinities. Why in the world is question to me. Probably cause it's not a comic. Me thinks lfl needs to make a icon for just Resource material now, to show it's not really timeline applicable, but good for the arm chair Encyclapedia readers. It shouldn't however be infinities, and therefore Non-continuity.

Even worse news, Just because Dark Forces was never put on there comic timeline because it's not a comic, it too has been marked with infinities. Who ever works there really is an idiot, because as you know that series has already been locked in by del rey as part of the official timeline. So like I've always been saying it seems like Infinnities is Just DH/wotc, excuse to ignore stuff it doesn't know what to do with. Also since a subsidiary of bantam co-owns the dark forces novels, that also makes no right to make them infinities. They exist on novel timelines througout Del Rey's resource books. Even Lucasarts says the story is valid.

As you can see this whole infinities fiasco is just plain stupid. It's just dave Land's lazy excuse to ignore those things He's too lazy to date.

Edit: Locked at author's request to prevent confusion with current facts.

2. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    This is bad news for all of us in the canon EU debates. All of our thunder has been taken away...

Dark times...

3. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    All I can say anyone with concern should start petitioning LFL corporation for some strictor rains on what DH/WOTC is up too, and Correct this attrocity. Kyle Fans this means you if you support that character.

4. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Ladies and gentlemen welcome to your future!

If anything conflicts with the PTs or isn't widely accepterd by fans,all they have to do is make it infins.No need to come up continuity fixes.Just get rid of it. :p

5. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    I agree that a petition should be organized. While I have questioned some things in EU continuty, I always thought that Dark Forces fit in some way or another. At first I thought WOTC and DH were handling infinities in a fair manner besides the issues I have with some of the stories in Tales. Now I am just P.Oed. The thing that gets me is that DH's Jedi vs. Sith's background comes from the DF books.

6. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Yes, I agree.

On another note, they Lock in underworld on the Official timeline, something that shouldn't be considered as part of the timeline, cause it does make mockeries of several of Crispen's ideas. While Dark Forces gets Whacked. Such morons.

7. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    There goes Jvs S...

Oh well...

8. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    This is not Dave Land's fault.

and come on, the writing in those Dark FOrces graphic novels sucked really bad anyway.

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    well, it makes no sense, but J vs. S is locked in.

Not dave land's fault? come on.

It's surely not LFL's fault, they already locked the novels in with Del Rey's official resource books, and the fact lucasarts is official subsidiary of LFL with Lucas partly involved, even more so than other 3rd party publishers, they have it as Main Line EU continuity.

Well the novels might not be the best written in your oppinion but they are as good as several other Bantam, and Del rey books, especially taking the Audio drama's into account.

Since Random house subsidiary published them, and DH was only involved with the art, then DH really has no right to make that choice sort of thing on there timeline. Del Rey's got more right. Especially considering Random House owns, bantam and del rey.

So this is just some person in DH behind this cause it's not a comic.

10. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    I enjoyed em.But you have a right to your opinion DL.

But the EC already has em locked in so....they can't really be infinitties...they've been referanced... :p

11. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I view the Dark Forces books as novellas and not actual novels. However, I do view them to be a part of the normal EU. The games themselves give a date within the EU, which the novellas share. So does this mean that the games as well are now infinities? Like you say, someone is being lazy and simply wants to do as they please.

12. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    That Series was horrible and not for the sole reason of conflicting with the HST.The whole thing was too goofy and childish for my tastes. The way they portrayed Greedo as a whinny wuss just made me creng. Plus I wanted to punch those Jawas that had no purpose in the entire story.

13. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >Even worse news, Just because Dark Forces was never put on there comic >timeline because it's not a comic, it too has been marked with infinities. Who >ever works there really is an idiot, because as you know that series has >already been locked in by del rey as part of the official timeline. So like I've >always been saying it seems like Infinnities is Just DH/wotc, excuse to ignore >stuff it doesn't know what to do with. Also since a subsidiary of bantam co->owns the dark forces novels, that also makes no right to make them infinities. >They exist on novel timelines througout Del Rey's resource books. Even >Lucasarts says the story is valid.

Ok, that's just plain ridicules. Why Dark Forces? Why not GoDV, or even the Marvel comics, for that matter? How can anyone possibly ignore or contradict DF? It's in the EC and there's a new game coming out. Even Land's minions used the Ruusan (SP?) back story in a "canon" comic! I think someone at DH is having fun with the Infinities icon. What does Darth Land have to say about this?

TC

14. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Greedo?He was an idiot in the movies. :p

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    The games are not infinities for one good reason, Lucasarts a 1st party lfl company has stated they are officialy part of the EU, and lucas was partly involved. They and they only have the right to say what is and isn't infinnities. Does any one find it weird that infinnities only comes out of the DH/WOTC side of LFL? which is under the charge of Ben Harper? Ben harper and his goons are under there own agenda. He actually has nothing to do with the DH timeline, that is something done by DH alone.

Dark forces has always been left off of DH's timeline because it's not a comic. Now there considering it infinities for the same reason. Technically it can't since it's Random House's property. But it really shows off Dh lameness, and moronousy.

Lucasarts department,and Delrey, haven't even touched the icon, nor have made commotion to do so. Infact they locked in yaddles tale in Luceno's COD.

16. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    "Greedo?He was an idiot in the movies."
    True,but in Underworld they took it to the 9th degree.

17. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    DL, whose fault is it then?

This is turning into quite a large mess.

Let me give everyone an example!

Dark Empire Handbook - says Duro's & Neimodians are the same race . . . initially causing headaches, since Duro has very long history.

To fix that error, it is addressed in Ann Lewis's Essential Guide.

Now, Dark Horse goes back now and says that the Handbook is now infinities . . . so it didn't really happen all along anyway . . . or did it?

It all makes your head spin.

18. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Infinities should have been restricted to just one series. The current one that they are doing...or I think they are doing since I still haven't found issue 3. Spreading it to the once-great SW Tales and others stories is getting ridicolous.

19. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    You know it seems that LFL is tring to cover there a**es with infinities. Think about it. To begin with it was a way to tell stories outside the EU realm or at least presented to the fans that.But is this really a tool to try and fix an integerity that the EU has always upheld by challenges that that the PT may bring.Like Gather said it is very confusing. Certinaly if this is the case many fans will be driven away.

20. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    It will end in an domino effect. some story that doesn't fit because some new story conflicts will be removed. But because something else might have been resting on that story for support, will have to be removed as well. So on and so forth, until the whole EU is been removed, or is scattered out in a pile of dominoes, with nothing to hold it together.

21. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
  22. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    Well, I don't know WHAT to think now. Until lately, I thought this was indeed all Dave Land's fault. But considering the Underworld/Crispin fiasco, and the fact that WOTC seems to be going all Infinities with their titles, I really am starting to wonder if something has gone catastrophically wrong within the echelons of LFL itself. Valiento, you said this Ben Harper is in charge over the DFC/WOTC section of LFL? How do we contact him? If anybody knows what's going on here, it's him (if he's not in fact the guy behind this mess).

I've been opposed to Infinities from the very beginning, but even I'm shocked at how fast it's undermining everything. LFL, please don't repeat Rick Berman's mistakes!

23. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, all I know is the best way to contact Ben Harper is to check gamer magazine. It has several emails and letter directions. That might be the direction to take.

24. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Just a minor note - I haven't seen an Infinities Icon on the Dark Forces audio adaptations.

That means that the stories do in fact exist "officially" - just according to the audio's. And, actually, the audios include a bit more to the whole Katarn mythos than the Dark Horse novels do anyway.

That's not to say that it's a whole big pile of Bantha poodoo with what they're tacking Infinities on, but Katarn is still safe in the continuity for now.

Amazing that the reinforce the classic nature of Marvel and make it Canon, yet are retro-ing other newer stuff into Infinities.

I just have to say to LFL, someone lay off the spice - it's frying your brains!

25. Wampa_Joe

Wampa_Joe Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2001
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see Dark Forces under Infinities. Whenever I click on the Infinities symbol to highlight Infinities materia, Dark Forces isn't highligthed...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.