main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bad news everyone. Infinities is spreading. To Dark Forces Novels and the Handbooks

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Valiento, Jul 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I knew this Infinities crap was a bad idea when it started as only the comic strip. I just knew its evil would spread.

So if Dark Forces is Infinities, I guess that means Kyle Katarn never existed, huh? I suppose he's still mentioned in various sourcebooks but when their source is now Infinities I suppose they can't be completely credible anymore.

And I was REALLY hoping to see Kyle Katarn make an appearance in the NJO, but I suppose that won't happen now.

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    It's listed under, "outside the timeline".

but your right if click on the infinities logo, Dark Forces isn't highlighted in blue like the others. This is good news. This means it isn't appocryphal, Yay. so happy.

There still is the sickly problem that "outside the timeline" is one of dave land's definitions of infinities.

And since handbook has been locked in by 2 of the essential guides, it really shouldn't be marked with infinties either.

3. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    It's about time we let DH, know are stance on what they've done, click on this to go to a place on DH you can let it known.

Here's another topic(click on this sentence), you can leave comments on. It's about time we let them know how we feel about this new going's on.

I also recommend contacting ben harper care of gamer magazine, starwars gamer editorials, swgamer@wizards.com

If anyone else can find a way to contact him, or someone higher up, then let us know.

We might also let Dan Wallace, continuity guru, know, and see what his feelings are about this.

4. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Thanks for the links.

Who do you think the person is behind the DH official comments?

Notice how they try and pass the buck and blame LFL . . . perhaps it IS LFL's fault?

5. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    Part of the responsibility may lie with LFL, but I can't believe that all of it does. Dark Horse are the only ones really using the Infinities icons, besides WOC. I think if it was LFL's insistance, then Infinities would start popping up elsewhere as well, wouldn't it?

6. darthwedge2000

darthwedge2000 Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2001
    I find it ridiculous. Not just them but all of you too. Yes I'm a Star Wars fan, and yes I hold strongly to the EU set timeline, I don't want to deny myself an entire group that forms the backbone of the saga. Without EU, 80% of the SW galaxy would be empty.

But here's what I'm getting at: They're all playing you for fools. Dark Horse, Lucas Films, Randomhouse/Bantam/Del Rey. They are totally aware of the mistakes they're making, they know that taking Dark Forces off the EU 'canon' although the term is an oxymoron will upset people because it's one of the pillars of several SW novels and comics and more importantly, one of the key points of your fantasy life playing JK. They're doing this for the exact same reason you shake an ant farm: Some sort of sick pleasure they take in crushing your dreams and watching you scramble to preserve what you can, save what you can't, and remember what you've lost. There's a possibility that someone REALLY screwed up here, but if you take into consideration that their bread and butter comes from you guys, they'll be looking over every detail with a fine tooth comb. Or they could just be complete morons.

What allows DH to compete with Marvel and DC? What do you think? Petition, and they'll laugh in your faces. I'm just giving it to you how I see it, maybe it's different, maybe I'm wrong, but I go where logic prevails.

Darthwedge

7. Moridin

Moridin RPG Author star 3 VIP

Apr 13, 1999
    This is getting recockulous.

Dark Forces is Infinities now? Lame. Handbooks? Double lame.

What's next, my precious RPG? This is really starting to bother me. They changed the era names, they put some things int he wrong place in the timeline, they Infinitized things that should remain in continuity...things were going fine until someone decided to fix what wasn't broken.

I must now throw my hat into the ring with those who think this whole era tinkering is messing things up.

8. Jerba_Bantha

Jerba_Bantha - SWRPG Designer -Former RPG Staff VIP

Jan 14, 2001
    About Dark Forces: DO NOT BE ALARMED! It is not considered INFINITIES, just OUTSIDE TIMELINE.

If you go on DH.com's timeline, and click on the infinities era icon, you will notice that Dark Forces does not become highlighted:

http://www.darkhorse.com/products/zones/z_starwars/zp_timeline/era_infinities/index.html

Also, the Infinities icon does NOT appear in the Dark Forces entry. Thats why i did not include this title in my story in the comics section.

I also noticed an error on the timeline: both UNION and CHEWBACCA are included in NJO. I do think that UNION should be in the New Republic Era, since the NJO officially starts at 25 years ASW4, as of Vector Prime.

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, going by what Dave Land has said on DH message boards, "outside the time line" was definition of infinities. It may not be highlighted but still it's being treated like the rest of the stuff outside of continuity.

It's in the similer boat as things like handbook(shouldn't be considered outside the timeline).

Though on another added note, if you look of rebellion years, you'll see underworld doesn't get highlighted. Does that mean it's neither continuity, and neither infinities? does that mean it's in it's own little world, of gobbeldy goop?

things may not be exact, but there are things that don't match up. We still need to discuss these things, and make sure it doesn't spread, if there is any thing we can possible do about it.

10. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    They're doing this for the exact same reason you shake an ant farm: Some sort of sick pleasure they take in crushing your dreams and watching you scramble to preserve what you can, save what you can't, and remember what you've lost.

darthwedge i think that's a bit drastic and dramatic. i truly don't think that they take pleasure in recieving complaint after complaint. i'm sure LFL higher ups aren't sitting there reading the complaints and laughing their heads off.

i like to believe that they're just corrupt. :) star wars has become HUGE since the seventies when ANH was first released. back then, GL was hoping against hope that someone would like his movies. he was interested in what the fans wanted. he cared, because he if he didn't the movie wouldn't make sales.

but now, star wars isn't just the weird trilogy that had a lot of special effects. its bigger, its better(imo), it has a gigantic fanbase.

Oh, and it's commercialized. there's star wars birthday party plates, hats, cups, napkins, and tablecloths. there's star wars t-shirts, ties, and watches. there's star wars everything! i can go to my medicine cabinet when i have a scrape and pull out my box of star wars bandaids. i think LFL and GL are taking advantage of the fact that since there are so many fans, doing this will not upset the fanbase enough to hurt it. "hell, what's a few fans when it's all said and done? there's still new generations...they'll still buy all our merchandise!" just the other day i said to someone(maybe matt?), that lucas doesn't have to worry about appealing to the fans as much as he does about appealing to the average, every day, mediocre star wars fan. the little kid that's just starting to show interest. the sci-fi fan that never really got into it but owns the trilogy. the fans will buy anything(i bought the sticker book ;)). the others have to be convinced.

i think that we have to prove to LFL that we won't just stand by and let them get away with this. i agree that this whole situation is ridiculous! i was never into the comics, and so i never was thrilled about Infinities. But then while making my normal trip to B&N i saw it on the rack and picked it up. I must say i love it, and wish they'd hurry up with the issues, but if this is what we have to live through to keep Infinities i'll be the first one to throw it out.

this is unacceptable in my mind. perhaps if they had started this from the beginning, it wouldn't be as terrible. but the EU wasn't something that was planned to grow this large and this expansive. one book's or comic's events...even to the tiniest of details...has been integrated into probably at least 5 others. as someone said, it's a chain reaction. ban the right thing, and we're done for.

11. Jerba_Bantha

Jerba_Bantha - SWRPG Designer -Former RPG Staff VIP

Jan 14, 2001
    I just read the UNDERWORLD: The Yavin Vassilika series, and even though Dave LAnd admits in the letter col. that it might not entirely fit into the continuity, I do think it fits within the novel REBEL DAWN, in the final chapter right between when Han goes to visit Lando and gets punched, and before Bria dies. The only problem is that there is no mention of Han jettisoning Jabba's spice. But that's another story. Look out for the return of the comcs reviews soon!

BTW, I really don't envy editor Dave Land. He gets all the blame, but he's just the messenger. Everything about SW continuity and Timeline eras comes from Lucas Licensing.

12. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    I don't think it fits.

13. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Chas (Jerba_Bantha) has worked it out, trust me! :)

14. darthwedge2000

darthwedge2000 Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2001
    Oh they're corrupt all right. I would love to have Lucas' marketing scheme's down by heart: Let's take my book for instance, say I don't edit it today because I don't have the proper tools and I release it anyway, but by some fluke of nature, people love it. When I find some editing tools to my liking, dollar signs start going in front of my eyes. I release a newer version of my book, with bold face type (THX sound's comparison) and say 'this is the last time you get to own the original book!!!' A year later I release my 'definitive vision' of what my book should be like, first in large market, one-time use print, then over a year later to the general public for repeated readings and libraries for rentals. The next year, in a clever marketing scheme, I release a second book entitled "prequel." I refuse to go to a new type of paper to help my fans read easier, electing to sell my book yet again in a re-release of my 'definitive vision' then decide I will only release my "prequel" in this new paper format (DVD)
    And so it continues.....

I'm not bashing them for reselling all their stuff 80 times, I'm bashing the capitalist consumer, who could be finding alot more profitable and rewarding things to do with their money. Go to inner St Louis and you'll know what I mean.

I guess you could say I'm right and wrong, because you have full rights to spend your money how you want it and I don't have a right to judge if you like to entertain yourself (because I do too) or you could say I'm right and we're all whining over something in the grand scheme of things, isn't all that important. Just something to chew on.
    Darthwedge

15. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    I still don't think it fits. Too much.

16. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    Dude. Mick, Jerba is Boiven, Chas posts under mavrick.

And I think everybody is being waaaay too alarmed and reactionary over what amounts to nothing.

17. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Whoops - I thought in the back of my mind I might have got that wrong! :)

Sorry Jeff, sorry Chas! :)

18. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    I agree that LFL has become corrupt. Just look at the situation with WOTHC taking over Insider,JawaTrader,and the RPG.

19. Xenomaniac

Xenomaniac Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 8, 2000
    I think you could go alot of places to see what you mean darthwedge, but thats a little off topic but uh, yeah! damn infinities!

anyway, I'm making my call right now, before anyone can say "ooohh, hindsight, blah blah" anyway, in life, everything has a way of working out to your satisfaction, you go to a new school, you're all SCARED and SHAKEN UP, worrying about things, then a few weeks pass, you make some friends, get to know the place, and realize, man, things turned out pretty good actually, well... I think this is one of those situations where it will eventually turn out to our satisfaction and pretty soon we will all look back and say:

"Remember the Infinities fiasco?? Man that had us ******* in our pants. I'm glad that something happened to make it ok."

So let's just calm down and enjoy the roller coaster. If anything, it gives us something to talk about, get us all fired up, and really, isn't that what we live for?

20. NerdyNathan

NerdyNathan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2001
    What's so wrong about WotC getting the rights to the Star Wars RPG? I personally think they've done a great job, so far, on the new game. The SW Gamer is also a great magazine.

21. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Yes, WOTC is coming out with good products. I am talking about the business end of the company. I have had a few problems with them.

22. NerdyNathan

NerdyNathan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2001
    Really? Like what?

23. Master Windrider

Master Windrider Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 1999
    I would of prefered if they went with the orginal idea of Luke and Leia going to the dark side in the comic series! The label should not of gone outside the comic series.

24. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    It's all good Gatherer :)

25. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Did anyone notice that the Handbooks, as well as Dark Forces, no longer have the Infinities icon on their individual pages?

Now, why the Handbooks are tagged with the "Rise of the Empire" icon is anyone's guess. Guess "Dark Empire" and "Crimson Empire" now precede "The Phantom Menace." :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.