main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**BANNER submission contest for SCIFI 3D forum & SITE**

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by George Mezori SCIFI 3D, Apr 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    We don't have an official... description like that. For a long time on the old site it said "Professional high quality meshes". But why not "Ultimate in SCIFI 3D". Maybe the "Ultimate in CGI SCIFI". We're not just a MESH site. We're really interested in all mediums. And maybe one of these days adventure, etc. It's really more about film/tv, even original designs, etc.

Just include a CSS file. You DON'T have to follow any color scheme... that's what makes yours different. We'll do something with the color scheme on the website too.

2. Darth_Steven

Darth_Steven Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    Hey Guys,
    everything looks great so far! Can't wait to see all the designs in a rotation. I have a submission for the banner, it's not all too hot but take a peek and see what you think. I threw it together in about 20 minutes or so...So don't expect anything special. I went with a monochrome look, if you don't like the colour scheme I can change it. The first one may take a few seconds to load up but it is there! :)

Later,
    Steve

whole banner
    background
    main bar
    sidebar
    curve
    post banner
    left ad holder
    right ad holder

Wishart Graphics

3. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    I like this one also. what is that stuff, on the right, behind the tie? it looks like a icon from max.

Like the color, I've always liked blue in general.

Just crit, but not really important: you used almost the same pics than the two others banners already done, for the characters on the left.

but it's good work

4. Darth_Steven

Jul 14, 2002
    Thanks, Dr. Jones! I like the blue colour scheme too! That is a Max icon by the way...Take a peek at just the background panel and you'll see what I was trying to attempt. It didn't quite work as well as I wanted it to.

I think the only character that appears to make mine look similar is that picture of Darth Maul. It kinda bothered me a bit, but there wasn't too much variety of images with regard to darkside characters to choose from in the image gallery here. Hopefully some more can be posted.

5. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    Few things.. ODJ's will probably go up first b/c (1) he has all the files ready to go.. (2) we don't need a color scheme change. Nobody has sent me in a CSS file to go with theirs. But they have shown their banner with a schemed forum so I assume you have access to the file that did this. I NEED that too.

I updated the FAQ about the file names, the CSS, etc. I'm waiting for info about an appropriate compression level. If you don't understand CSS like me then lets ask for help here. Gandolf The Grey gave me a link to a blank css file but I think it'd be easier if we had one more filled in??? So lets help each other with this.

Don't worry on people who have made submissions already.. I'll rename yours with the right file names. We'll rotate these maybe every 2 weeks?

MAKE an appropriate website banner too guys. Read the FAQ.

MUNDI: Have everything from you but a CSS.

ODJ: Have everything from you but a CSS.

SETH: No postreply, no "website" banner, no CSS.

6. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    Darth_Steven: This one is kool too. I like the way you situated Vader to hold the text. I think it's just a little SIMPLE. All you need to do add a few more things. Suggestions:

Forget the MAX icons. Drop that. You can have main banner have one side with characters, the other with craft. Drop the xwing and just use craft from those 3 characters... Vader, Fett, Maul, etc. Make it a SITH or bad-guy theme. (1). Move the text closer to Vader, squish it together and fill in the space more. (2). Mirror and flip Maul and use him on the other side of the text full height. (3). Drop xwing and add other stuff like Slave 1, Mauls speeder and/or sith craft, etc. etc. Fill in that other 1/3 or 1/4 of the right side with craft... and just fill in the mainbackground image with craft. Boba is kool the way he is. VERY GOOD for 20 minutes.

AND don't forget a "website banner" and a CSS sheet.

7. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    Good point Dr.Jones. I think FOR NOW it's ok tho. But eventually with the lack of material, etc. etc.. it will all start to look the same. SO it's really a first come first serve situation.

8. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Oh, yeah, these are some great and wel thought out banner designs. Ones to which you have a great idea of what this forum is about. Its a hard choice to make in order to decide. And I wish the judges well, as this is a hard choice for me. 8-}

9. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    Anybody know how to make CSS files for diff. color schemes for each banner? I'm not really finding the right person who can do this. I thought people who put this banner test shots together already made a CSS file for their color scheme. If so then we just need that file.

ODJ's Final:
    http://www.mikedingleyjones.btinternet.co.uk/alltogether.jpg

MUNDI's Final:
    http://members.optusnet.com.au/paulhaps/scifi3d/board.html

SETH's Final:
    http://www.bootlegproductions.net/final.html

DARTH_STEVENS Final:
    http://members.rogers.com/fender/

All of these guys seemed to be using color schemes but I don't know how they did it and nobody, so far, seems to know how they did it or what a CSS file is. I need one of these to go with each banner so the colors match it. I like what they used in their sample images above. ODJ and MUNDI's seem to use the current color scheme, and the other two are kool blue ones. Anybody know how to help with this?

10. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I can make the CSS File for Mundi's or Seth's right now (well maybe not right now, but within a day), and could make one for ODJ's or Darth Steven's in the same timespan, but starting from when I got the HTML file from them, cause it'd be toooooo much of a headache to try and peice one from a JPG.

Do you want a CSS File to upload to SciFi3D and link to from here, or the CSS fragment that you just paste into your admin style section?

OR, are you trying to do the rotating banner like Lit had. It used Javascript to pick a new banner randomly each time the board is loaded. Is that what you're after, that could take me another day or so to find/modify.

¤Night

11. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    Well... lets see if these guys can respond and give us something they used to make their "final pics" with. I'm not gonna do anything manually by hand either.

In the FAQ on page 1 I added more info about all of this. I was given a link to a sample CSS template... but it's empty. I don't think we really need that either.

I don't know?? After looking at it and the template all a CSS file contains is this fragment. BUT we are gonna use CSS files and have one for each banner.

It is going to rotate bi-weekly probably... but the files are on our server on SCIFI 3D. So we're gonna make a script that rotates the files around that's all. It's just basic copying and overwriting files. The forum will point to our directory and look for one set of files. Nothing fancy. So we don't need any java or anything.

I guess what we need is the code these guys used to make these banner sample FINAL images and we can just copy/paste this info into a css file for each.

12. PapaFett

PapaFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 16, 2002
    If you view the source code on one of the forum pages, the css is embeded in the sheet. All you need to do is change the color (and/or font) values, delete all the non css code and save as a .css file. then someone needs to add a link css tag in the head of the page and remove the embedded css.

link css tag look like this...

<link href="http://path&filename.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

replace "path&filename.css" with the (you guessed it) path & filename of the css file you just saved. Since it's an asp forum, I'm not sure how difficult it would be to add this link css tag, but I'm sure it can be done.

13. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    PapaFett's right, that's what I was going to do. Like for Mundi's (which I really like) here's the CSS:
    .MainTable {
    background-color: #787F9B;font-family: verdana,arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-weight: normal;font-size: 8pt;color: white;text-decoration: none;
    }
    .MainMenuRowAlt {
    background-color: transparent;font-family: verdana,arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-weight: bold;font-size: 8pt;color: #E4EA83;text-decoration: none;
    }
    .MainMenuRow {
    background-color: #AAB9C9 ;font-family: verdana,arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-weight: normal;font-size: 8pt;color: white;text-decoration: none;
    }
    .MainMenuLink {
    background-color: transparent;font-family: verdana,arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-weight: bold;font-size: 8pt;color: white;text-decoration: underline;
    }
    .BoardColumn {
    background-color: #336596 ;font-family: verdana,arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-weight: bold;font-size: 10pt;color: white;text-decoration: none;
    }
    .BoardColumnLink {
    background-color: transparent;font-family: verdana,arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-weight: bold;font-size: 10pt;color: white;text-decoration: underline;
    }
    .BoardRowA {
    background-color: #BEC9DB ;font-family: verdana,arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-weight: normal;font-size: 10pt;color: black;text-decoration: none;
    }
    .BoardRowALink {
    background-color: transparent;font-family: verdana,arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-weight: normal;font-size: 10pt;color: black;text-decoration: underline;
    }
    .BoardRowB {
    background-color: #FAFAFA;font-family: verdana,arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-weight: normal;font-size: 10pt;color: black;text-decoration: none;
    }
    .BoardRowBLink {
    background-color: transparent;font-family: verdana,arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-weight: normal;font-size: 8pt;color: #336699;text-decoration: underline;
    }
    .SubjectLink {
    background-color: transparent;font-family: verdana,arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-weight: bold;font-size: 10pt;color: #336699;text-decoration: underline;
    }
    a.SubjectLink {
    background-color: transparent;font-family: verdana,arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-weight: bold;font-size: 10pt;color: #336699;text-decoration: underline;
    }
    a.SubjectLink:active {
    background-color: transparent;font-family: verdana,arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-weight: bold;font-size: 10pt;color: #F9DB35;text-decoration: underline;
    }
    a.SubjectLink:visited {
    background-color: transparent;font-family: verdana,arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-weight: normal;font-size: 10pt;color: #264E75;text-decoration: none;
    }
    .AuthorLink {
    background-color: transparent;font-family: verdana,arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-weight: bold;font-size: 10pt;color: #336596;text-decoration: none;
    }
    .VersionText {
    background-color: transparent;font-family: verdana,arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-weight: normal;font-size: 8pt;color: #white;text-decoration: none;
    }
    .InputSection {
    background-color: transparent;font-family: verdana,arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-weight: bold;font-size: 10pt;color: #2B0054;text-decoration: none;
    }
    .InputNotes {
    background-color: transparent;font-family: verdana,arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-weight: normal;font-size: 9pt;color: #E4EA83;text-decoration: none;
    width: 65%;
    }
    .SignatureTitle {
    background-color: transparent;font-family: verdana,arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-weight: bold;font-size: 8pt;color: #336596;text-decoration: none;
    }
    .SignatureText {
    background-color: transparent;font-family: verdana,arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-weight: normal;font-size: 8pt;color: #000000;text-decoration: none;
    }

TaDa.

If you're using ASP to rename, move, or delete files, on a schedule, you'll either need to set it up on a Cron Job (which I don't know how to do), or make it so whenever you go to the page it executes the code. Then just visit /scifi3d/admin/secret/forumcodechangeSECRET.asp or whatever it is ever couple weeks.

I'd just pm Darth_Steven and and ODJ and ask for the html files.

¤Night

14. Darth_Steven

Jul 14, 2002
    Hey Zoo,
    great ideas...I have no idea what you are referring to CCS... I don't really worry too much if the information portion of the screen matches my graphic or not. I just photoshopped it up to match....I really disliked the Max icons in my stuff cause obviously people use other programs other than max...So I'll ditch it and do up another banner for ya....I'll have to send it to you in a little bit as I'm at work right now. I did it up on my home computer.

Later
    Steve

15. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    Remember... don't forget to make a corresponding banner for the website too. Use the appropriate text... something like SCIFI 3D: Ultimate in CGI SCIFI. Or something like that. "professional quality CGI". etc. etc.

AND add your name at the bottom like the one on the site now is.

Night: I just PM'd you. I have a Mundi css file and it's totally diff. than what you have. As far as I know... the forum can be setup to look for the images and a css file from our server. SO we can define the css for each banner. And our site can run a simple script to just rotate files around. We don't need anything fancy.

The asp file just has the color scheme in it. All we're going to move is the asp file itself. I have css1 for Mundi , and css2 for ODJ. So after week one a script will just copy his images an css file and overwrite the old one. Simple. It's not gonna be any fancy asp or java script or something.

16. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    Oh, I think I see what you're saying now.

Point the forum to banners/CSS on another server is no problem at all, What I meant was if you wanted something automated so you wouldn't have to manually either overwrite files or edit the template.

And I replied

¤Night

17. Jedi___Hunter

Jedi___Hunter Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2003
    i have made a banner and and split it into all the corner pieces like it has to be but i have 3 problems

1. i do not understand what a CSS file really is.

2. i do not know where to put my banner can i send it to some one and the will put it on the site.

18. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    CSS file has been sent.

As for the text, I wrote what the last header had. I can easily change it. :)

19. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    Night: We are going to do something automated but not on the forum. On our own server where all the files will be. Now how that will work exactly I'll let Paul figure out. I'm thinking of rotating every couple of weeks... or maybe we'll do one that changes everyday for every person. Paul has a script like that now on the website that we're testing.

Jedi_Hunter: If you don't know what a CSS is then don't worry about it. Somebody else will try to help. Or maybe an existing scheme will go with yours. If you can't post files anywhere (read the forum FAQ about this if you want about file hosts) then just email it to me at: scifi3d at theforce dot net. I'll take a looky look.

Mundit: Nah, that's ok. Don't worry about it.

20. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    We gots the banner! And since I'm fairly certain that these colors are the default, maybe we should rotate the banner/CSS file to make sure it'll be all purdy blue :D

¤Night

21. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    It works. The first time I saw it the colors WERE blue. I don't know how that happened but I had to quickly upload the right css file.

22. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    This looks so cool. I [face_love] it.

¤Night

23. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Wow, that works out nicely! :D

Want me to fix up the curve image next to the Kaminoan so that it's liney?

24. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    I never noticed but I got the file and updated it here already.

OH.. now I see what you are saying. I asked Gandy yesterday about adding a simple tileable image to all that white background area... and he did it already but I didn't notice the curve OR the adholders are in this area and have white backgrounds to them. Hmm... now I have to have people make those with transparent backgrounds or add the lines to it. JEESH.

I GUESS what we should do is have people make their curves and adholders with TRANSPARENT backgrounds. Then it'll either be whatever the background is or white. What if the background was taken off... then there'd be these lines on Mundi's.

25. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.