main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Batman] Gotham City Chronicles - URGENT MESSAGE INSIDE

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Reynar_Tedros, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Title: Gotham City Chronicles
    Author: Reynar_Tedros
    Genre: Mystery, Crime Thriller, Action, Drama
    Summary: This story tells the tale of Gotham City's masked protector, Batman, as he seeks to bring peace to his home and himself.
    Other: Special thanks to Bob Kane for creating such a rich mythology to enjoy and work with, to the folks at TheForce.Net for allowing me to host this story, to the many users who help me with my writing, and to the readers who give me the motivation to continue.

[b]Part 1[/b]

[i]Gotham City; 10:32 PM[/i]

"What is it?"

Gordon didn't jump this time. The first several times Batman's fierce voice pierced the darkness, it gave him quite a fright, even if he was expecting his presence. But he'd become accustomed to it, which was both good and bad, depending on the way you looked at it.

He was leaning on the bat signal, a giant spotlight situated atop the Gotham City Police Department HQ with a large symbol on it that caused a "bat" to appear in the darkened sky whenever Batman's presence was needed. It was on, but it wasn't hot yet.

Gordon pushed his glasses up. "That didn't take long," he spoke to the shadows of the roof.

"Slow night," Batman responded, stoically dark as always.

"Well, I'm not sure how much longer it'll last. It seems that Arkham Asylum's newest arrival has developed a... following."

"Joker."

"The bank robbery that happened yesterday. The culprits are calling themselves the Jokerz, with a z. They left calling cards, naturally."

"Naturally." Gordon thought he may have heard a hint of amusement in Batman's voice.

"What do you think?" the commissioner asked.

"Was the robbery their first appearance in Gotham?"

"As far as we know."

"If they're really affiliated with the Joker, the bank was just the beginning."

"How do we know for certain?"

"I need to talk to the clown."

Gordon paused. "Do you think he'll talk?"

There was no answer. Batman was gone. Gordon checked his watch. It was still early. He walked to the stairway door, the spotlight shining brightly.

++++

"Arkham, Master Wayne? I didn't think that'd be on the top of your vacation list."

"I need to talk to the Joker, Alfred," Batman spoke through the headset built into his cowl. "The bank robbery yesterday could have had something to do with him."

"But he's been locked up for the past week."

"I know. It looks like I'm not the only one in town with a fan club."

2. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    First post!

I like the snappy back-and-forth dialogue. Very noir. :D And even though he's done it so many times, I still laugh whenever someone's left talking to himself because Batman left the conversation early.

3. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Thanks!

This story will be very dialogue heavy, as I'm not a very descriptive writer (both by choice and the lack of ability :p), so I'm glad to hear that you enjoy it. :)

4. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I eagerly await more. :)

5. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    Ooooh excellent opening, I do agree the dialogue is excellent, I could hear the voices reading the dialogue like a script. :D

I look for more of this story!

Will you keep a PM list by chance? :D

6. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Very nice opening. I've always loved a good Batman story with good Gordon/Batman scenes. Looking forward to reading more. :)

7. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Thanks folks!

Yes, I am keeping a PM list. If you want on it, let me know. :)

8. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    I absolutely loved the dialogue (I mean, even Alfred's line sounded just right). I'd very much like to be on the PM list.

9. NickLitYouAFlame

NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master star 5

Feb 27, 2007
    Nice beginning. I can't wait to see you write the Joker. Send me a PM when you next update, will you?

10. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Part 2

Arkham Asylum; 10:58 PM

"He doesn't want to see you."

"Excuse me?" Batman looked down at the stout doctor before him.

"He has specifically denied your request to speak with him, sir." The pudgy doctor was sweating bullets, and had to repeatedly push his large spectacles up the bridge of his nose.

"Why?" Batman was clearly frustrated at this.

The doctor gulped. "He, uh, didn't say, sir, only that he did not wish to see you."

"I don't care. Open the door."

"Sir, I'm afraid I cannot-"

"Do you want to try and stop me?" His voice was fierce, almost feral in tone.

The doctor looked up at the masked man, eyes bulging. "Mr. Mann? Open the door."

There was a loud alarm, and the gates popped open. Batman stepped through.

The doctor watched him walk away. "His cell is-"

"I know where it is," Batman called back. He walked down the hallway lined with brick walls, not bothering to look at the cells he passed. One resident seemed to be choking, another arguing with himself, and another snoring loudly. The fourth and final cell of the hallway was the one Batman was looking for. He walked up to the transparent glass barricade that had a few small holes in the center, on the other side of which was an empty room with merely a cot and a toilet. On top of the cot was a man in an orange jumpsuit, lying on his back with his left foot bouncing on his risen right knee. His long, straggly hair was a dark shade of green, his skin chalk white.

"When they told me I had a visitor, you were the last one I expected it to be," the man said, his voice a strange, high pitched, almost childish tone, yet simultaneously chilling. He giggled. "The funny thing is, you were also the first."

"I need to talk to you."

"Oh, well, I think you made that fact clear when you verbally assassinated my good doctor friend over there. You must really enjoy my company." He giggled again, still lying on the cot, still bouncing his foot on his knee.

"I didn't come here to play your games."

The Joker leapt off the bed without warning, rushed to the glass and slammed his hands up against it in a spontaneous rage. Batman stepped back. "Oh, I beg to differ!" the Joker cried. He laughed for a moment. "You should know, Batsy, with me, it's all fun and games!"

"You're sick."

"You would know!" There was a pause. "Hm?" He licked his lips. "Wouldn't ya?"

"I came here to talk to you about your friends."

"Friends!?" The Joker let out a raucous laugh. "You're the only friend I've got, why would you want to talk about you!?"

"I'm not your friend."

"Oh, you and I both know that's a lie."

"You have people working for you on the outside. You're going to tell me why they're here and what their plans are."

The Joker shook his head, his hair swinging back and forth in his face. "Uh-uh, no, nope, nada. If they were really like me, they wouldn't have plans."

"Where are they?"

"Hm? Where are who?"

"Your friends."

"He's standing right in front of me! Honestly, Batsy, I think you're losing it."

Batman slammed his palm against the glass. The Joker didn't move. "Where are they!?"

"Guards?" the Joker called. "I think our friend here has worn out his welcome. Have a nice day, old friend." The Joker winked, and lied back down on his cot.

11. NickLitYouAFlame

Feb 27, 2007
    Joker was near golden. There was something just a bit off, but it was still a fantastic performance. Good writing.

Is this after the Dark Knight?

12. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    "He's standing right in front of me! Honestly, Batsy, I think you're losing it."

[face_laugh]Very nice update.

13. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I am loving it. I am acting out the lines in my head as if Heath Ledger was actually saying it. Good work. :)

14. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    Great story! You've really got the Joker down. Update soon!

- Serena

15. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Thanks for the great comments everyone, I appreciate them tremendously.

Nick, this story isn't a part of the films. It has its own continuity. :)

16. NickLitYouAFlame

Feb 27, 2007
    Oh, true. I didn't think about the Batman part.

17. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    Can I have PM's when you update? This looks like it's going to be good :D

18. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Part 3

Bang! Bang!

Bruce kneeled next to his parents. They were now lifeless corpses, had felt their last breaths of air leave their bodies as the bullets pierced their skin. Blood poured onto the concrete ground beneath them. Their eyes were blank, dead. And from the shadows, a man with green hair and a purple suit stepped into the light.

"Why so serious?"

Bruce's eyes darted open just as Alfred was opening the curtains of his room, letting the sunlight bathe the area in a warm and unwelcome brightness that caused Bruce to close his eyes just as soon as he'd opened them.

"Rise and shine, Master Wayne," the butler said, setting down a glass of water on the bedside table. He paused as he did so. "You're sweating. Shall I go turn the thermostat down?"

"It's nothing," Bruce replied, swinging his legs over the side of the large mattress. "Just a nightmare." He rubbed sleep out of his eyes and exhaled.

"Anything worth mentioning?"

"Nope." Bruce stood up from the bed and grabbed the glass of water, downing it.

"Well, whatever it was, I should hope that it won't have a lasting effect. You've got a date in a few hours, might I remind you."

Bruce nodded with a sarcastic, "Thanks, Alfred," and walked into the bathroom to brush his teeth. "Anything else on my agenda?" he said, dodging the toothbrush and half gallon of paste in his mouth.

"The Knights game starts at three this afternoon," Alfred called from outside the bathroom doorway, his tone of voice heightened so that Bruce could hear him over the loud brushstrokes. "I assume that you will be taking Miss Kyle with you?"

"Well, Selina does enjoy hockey." Bruce spat into the sink, turned on the faucet, and continued brushing.

"Right. Anything specific you'd like for breakfast?"

He spat again. "Surprise me."

"Hah," Alfred chuckled. "I'll try." The butler began to walk off, but stopped, turned around, and pulled out the morning's newspaper from his vest. "Oh, I almost forgot."

Bruce dried his mouth with the handtowel, and turned to Alfred. "What is it?"

Alfred turned a few pages and handed the paper to Bruce. "Thought that might interest you."

"Joker Gang Apprehended," Bruce read the headline aloud.

"Turns out they were a bunch of cheap knock-offs after all."

"Yeah," Bruce said absentmindedly, his brows narrowed as he read the article. After a few seconds, he handed the paper back to Alfred, satisfied. "Anything else in there I should be aware of?"

"Actually, there is. It seems your reign as Gotham's Hottest Bachelor has been usurped by Mister Harvey Dent."

"The D.A.?"

"Quite right."

Bruce paused, then shrugged. "Well, it was a good run."

"Yes, sir. Well, I suppose I'll go prepare your breakfast. Your eleven o' clock breakfast, I might add."

Bruce grinned. "I appreciate it."

19. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007

"Yes, sir. Well, I suppose I'll go prepare your breakfast. Your eleven o' clock breakfast, I might add."

Bruce grinned. "I appreciate it."

Nothing wrong with an 11:00 breakfast, I subscribe to it pretty regularly myself. :p

20. NickLitYouAFlame

Feb 27, 2007
    Exquisite. I only wish it were longer.

21. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    Marvelous. I really liked the nightmare, and the dialogue was once again excellent.

22. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Thanks, guys! :)

[b]Part 4[/b]

Bruce pulled the chair out from beneath the round table for Selina to sit in, and she did with a smile and a "Thank you," as she pulled a long brown bang behind her ear. She had dark brown hair, a short, angled style, and she wore a black blouse with tight blue jean pants. It was one of Bruce's more casual dates, which he wasn't very accustomed to. He took his own seat at the other side of the small table.

"Can I get you anything to drink?" the tall, effeminate waiter asked. "Perhaps some tea, or a coke?"

"Water's fine for me," Selina said.

"Ooookay, and for you, sir?"

"I'll have the same."

"Ooookay, I'll have those right out for you." The waiter left the table with a smile.

"So," Selina said, setting her small handbag next to her feet. "Can you believe those Knights? Nine goals in their past ten games, we've got a fifteen and twenty-five record heading into the halfway point of the season, and Ramirez is out with a dislocated soldier. I don't know how Philly thinks he's going to get us to the playoffs this year."

"Well," Bruce shrugged. "Ervin's hit a slump, but with the career he's had, he'll break out of it. Once he does that, I think everyone else will follow suit."

"Yeah, well, you sure have more faith than I do."

The waiter approached the table with two glasses of water in his hand, and set them down in front of Bruce and Selina. "There you go," he said. "Are you ready to order or do you still need a few more minutes?"

Bruce and Selina each looked down at their menus.

"I think we'll need a second," Selina said, smiling at the waiter.

The waiter returned the gesture. "Alrighty, no problem." And he walked off.

Bruce opened his menu, as did Selina. "It's been forever since I've been here," Bruce said, scanning the pages for anything that caught his eye.

"Oh, this place has [i]amazing[/i] shrimp, Bruce, you should try it."

"Yeah? I think I'll go with that, then." He closed his menu.

Selina felt the cell phone in her front pocket vibrate. "Could you excuse me for a minute?" she smiled, getting up from the table.

"Sure," Bruce pursed his lips into a smile and set his chin on his fist as she headed towards the restroom.

Just as the door to the restrooms closed behind Selina, she was slammed into the wall by an unknown pair of hands. A palm was pressed to her mouth, silencing her. Quickly bringing up her knee, Selina connected with the other woman's stomach, sending her stumbling backwards a few steps. She then brought up her left foot in one swift kick that connected with her opponent's face, knocking her to the floor. Selina knelt beside the bloody woman, who was gasping for breath.

"What do you want?" she demanded.

"Falcone," the woman started. "He wants his money back. He says that," she tried to catch her breath. "He says that if he doesn't get back his three hundred grand, you won't live to see next month."

"You tell Falcone I'm working on it." Selina stood up and got some paper towels from the dispenser next to the bathroom sink and tossed them on top of the woman. "And if he dares to inconvenience me in the middle of a date again, he won't live to see next [i]week[/i]." The woman nodded, soaking up her blood with the towels. Selina turned around and looked in the mirror, fixed her hair, and walked back out to the restaurant where Bruce sat, waiting for her.

23. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    Ooh, the plot thickens! I must say, Batman/Bruce feels just right in my head.

24. NickLitYouAFlame

Feb 27, 2007
    Your Bruce is extremely well-played.

25. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Nicely done! Can't wait to read more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.