main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Batman The Dark Knight Rises (Including Batman Begins & TDK) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Feb 24, 2006.

1. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Maybe a little bit of No Man's Land with the earthquake machine/class warfare stuff?

2. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    Have to agree :/

I enjoyed the First two films, but I saw the trailer for DKR, and just... I don't know - it just didn't feel like Batman...

3. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Really? You got villains in costume trying to destroy Gotham, you got Batmobiles, Batplanes, Batcyles, you got Bruce and Selina. This movie feels more like Batman than they previous two because it looks like he's finally reaching his peak Batmanness. The previous movies he was becoming Batman, now he IS Batman.

4. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm of 2 thoughts on the new trailer...

1) Certain elements seem to be in sticking with the first 2 movies...particularly the Gordon progression, the relationship with Alfred, as well as the "setting" being very real and very "bright of day" (the last being much more akin to DK then BB)

2) However, the "fantastic" element...the need for suspension of disbelief...seems to be ratcheted up a notch in this one...wtf is that thing chasing the pseudo-batmobile? The football player manages to outrun the collapsing earth? (or moreover, the earth stops collapsing at the endzone.) The thing Nolan sold us on was his "hyper-realism" for Batman...he did a 180 reversal on the "Schumachering" of the franchise, and even more grounded then the grimly-fanciful Burton vision. Moreover, it appears he's trying to incorporate these things into the previously established tone...and I think he doesn't give himself enough credit for how well he solid the "Nolanverse" to us.

That, or he drastically "over-estimates" the quality of the effects to work with the realism.

Shall I say it now? -- It looks like making Inception rubbed off on his film-making...I see lots of visual queues from Inception in this trailer.

That said, if the actors can continue to nail the performances...I didn't think I'd like Bane, and he seems alright...Hathaway looks like she's gonna work too...it may offset the overly-done bells and whistles.

----------

final note: Okay, Mr. Nolan, we get it...you don't want to make another Batman movie...at least not until another 15 years go by and your career has plateaued and you can't seem to make a hit...then suddenly you'll want to make another Dark Knight movie, only you won't be able to use the same actors again, and you won't get an unlimited budget and un-compromised control.

There is wanting to do what you want, and then there is being an ego-driven tool about making sure everyone knows and accepts your position.

Personally, I think WB will go right on making Batman movies...it might be another reboot...but they aren't going to stop now that they know the franchise wasn't ruined by Schumacher.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    A lot of things in Nolan's trilogy remind me of The Dark Knight Returns, including the chaotic atmosphere toward the end of BB. The Batman imitators in TDK remind me of the "Sons of the Batman", and I find myself wondering if the weaponlike device which we see Batman holding in leaked imagery has any similarity to the device that Batman used against Superman at the end of the comic.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't know if we've gotten an actual name for Batman's new toy yet- some kind of vertical takeoff batplane it would seem (which kinda makes it feel vaguely TAS Batwing or BB Batmobile, just with the seemingly militaristic functionality of design makeoverthat the Tumbler gave to the "batmobile" concept).

As for the football player thing- it looks like Bane took out the superstructure for the areas below ground (below the field), which apparently doesn't include the endzone (which I would presume is more "attached" to the foundation of the surrounding stadium), which is why it stops there.

Also, I don't think he knows he's outrunning the collapsing ground- he's just running all out like a player breaking for the endzone would.

I think WB has said they'll be rebooting after this, so that they can bring Batman more in line with the other DC properties and eventually do a Justice League film (as the Nolan Batman could never plausibly crossover with Superman or Green Lantern, etc).

7. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Only thing missing is a Batman voice that doesn't get on everyone's nerves. :p

8. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    Batman has some competition in annoying voices, it seems...

9. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
  10. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Wow. It's like Jetfire in the second Bay Transformers movie. Can anyone understand what he said? I had to turn on subtitles.

Yeah, not liking for first 2 Nolan movies (they feel so lifeless, and casting Michael Caine as Alfred?? Total mis-cue), I'm not expecting any better from this outing. On the other hand, this looks like he's digging himself into a hole he won't be able to climb out from. But maybe he'll surprise us. It could happen.
    Really, it could...
    Well, we could hope...

How about doing Batman (heck, any comic character) movies the way the Bond franchise works. Start with a decent script, get some good actors who are willing to do multi movie contracts (not just the lame trilogy package), and get to work. What Tim Burton did (as whacked out as his second movie was) owned the characters and provided the main interpretation for the Animated Timmverse for over a decade. Bond stories have been inconsistent in quality, but except for the ones since GoldenEye, only On Her Magesty's Secret service actually sucked.
    Something like that (or as good) is needed here.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

12. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    To the quoted poster.... Carmine Falcone is a major player in the early career of Batman in comics. Batman Year One, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory and Catwoman: When In Rome all either revolve around Falcone or his criminal empire. Same with Sal Moroni in TDK. Carmine Falcone was in no way some sly reference to The Penguin. In The Long Halloween and When In Rome Falcone is heavily implied, if not outright stated, to be Catwoman's estranged father.

Carmine "The Roman" Falcone in the recent animated DTV adaptation of Batman: Year One:
    [image=http://www.superherotimes.com/newsarchive/BYO-55.jpg]

Carmine "The Roman" Falcone in The Long Halloween:
    [image=http://www.dcleaguers.it/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/falcone1-300x291.jpg]

Also, thus far I have yet to see any kind of compelling evidence that Batman has been retired for 8 years in TDKR. Rather the implications seem to be that he's been active throughout and it's worn him down physically and mentally.