main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Battling fan fiction addiction

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by brodiew, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm not sure if a post like this has surfaced before, but it's something that's on my mind at the moment. If I jest, it is only in part.

When I joined tf.n in October 2005, it opened an exciting new door. I had always enjoyed writing and had even experimented with an Indiana Jones story of my own as a preteen. But, good golly, miss molly, did I throw myself into Star Wars fan fiction for 3.5-4 years. It became a consuming hobby. I wrote because I liked it and because I enjoyed the reviews; the validation for a job well done. I was taught well how to review and board etiquette has always been something I take seriously. Plus this site is my 'home' when it comes to my fan fiction career.

Recently access to the site has been restricted at work and the time and freedom I had write, read, and review has diminished. This is not only a work phenomenon, but writing time at home has also gotten smaller and smaller.

With this new diminished capacity, my heart for fan fiction has not waned. In fact, it has grown. The fandoms and possibilities have grown ever larger. Once, SW was my whole world. Now, it has become but home base. Given the larger possibilities and the lessening of time available, I'm reduced to writing even smaller pieces than average 1500+ word fics which have been my standard. Not only that, but posting hurriedly just to get something out there; a quick fix if you will. Sometimes, it weird; the need just to post something for the sake of posting.

If it makes any sense, I feel like I'm writing on the cheap. I'm not necessarily sacrificing quality, but feeling the pinch of RL like never before.

Can anyone else relate?

Or am I just a crazy man?

2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Hello brodie,

This is an absolutely excellent topic for discussion. :D

We just ask that if anyone was interested in commenting, you do so at the exact same thread here in the SWFF Resource, so that we can keep this conversation in one place. :)

~MJ @};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.