main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beth's Oscar Commentary

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Wormie2, Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wormie2

Wormie2 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    This

Show

Is

Sooooo

Looooooooooooooooooong!

Guys, you might wanna go check out a real news source cause I'm about five minutes from chucking all this and seeking pillows.

2. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    Halle Berry won best actress and starting bawling uncontrollably. It was hysterical. And endearing....until she thanked her lawyers. Then I started rolling my eyes. Can't these people just say "Thanks, guys. You know who you are." That'd cut about an hour off the show's running time.

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I'm still here, Beth. Don't give up. Your're doing a grand job.

Denzel?

Nah, didn't deserve it. He only got it because of Russell's fights and the fact that Denzel should have won it in the past for Malcolm X and the like

4. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    Russell got it last year. This year it's the "Let's find legit excuses to reward black contributions to film."

So ok, Beautiful Mind will win Best pic for sure.

5. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    And there ya go. It's official. Beautiful Mind wins and I'm off to bed. It's been a pleasure, Mark. Night.

6. anakin_pm

anakin_pm Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    You really do like the sound of your own voice :p

7. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    I for one was quite pleased to see Washington win.

Crowe has an attitude problem. Well, he seems to have anyway.

and have you heard his record? Sheesh..

8. Gav Daragon

Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 25, 2000
    I was shocked to see Denzel and Halle Berry win the best actor/actress awards :eek: I did try and stay up but I fell asleep. Was glad Jim Broadbent won, he is fantastic - Jennifer Connolly winning was a bit predictable, I've started to find her really dull, as was a beautiful mind winning best picture. Was surprised that Ron Howard won best director though.

Did anyone else notice Sir Ian and his tomboy holding hands? Gads

9. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    lol!

Couldn't be arsed with staying up and just as well I didn't by the sounds of it.

10. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    What I saw wasn't bad. Whoopi Goldberg had me in fits. Halle Berry and Denzel were not deserving winners though IMHO (though that's probably cos I don't like either of them)

11. Beckymonster

Beckymonster Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 28, 2001
    Mornin'!

I've only had 2 hours sleep in the last 24, so please be aware that my typing is going to a bit off... ;)

Why? I stayed up and watched the entire ceremony!... up until they dished out the Best Picture.

Anyhoo - for what it's worth: The good and the bad of this years Oscars...

THE GOOD
    Make-up, Cinematography, Music and FX for Lord of the Rings

Halle Berry winning Best Actress (I sat there nearly in tears! Talk about being overwhelmed!! May she be the first of many!!)

For the Birds winning best animated short!

Cirque de Soliei - very classy!

Enya singing 'May it Be' - wow! Even though it did look like she was wearing one of Mitzi's (from Priscilla, Queen of the Desert!)cast offs!

Ian McKellen's partner - OMG! He was gorgeous!! I humbly bow before his great taste not only in roles but in men too. :D
    Hubba hubba! <Becky wipes drool of keyboard>

EDIT - I thought it was so sweet that they were holding hands... awwwww!!! I dare anyone to find anything wrong with that!

Randy Newman finally getting an Oscar after 16 noms!!

The 'nominees' for Best Animated Films - they actually had the characters in the audience - Mike from Monsters was wearing a top hat! ;)

John Williams conducting the montage of soundtracks - clips from SW, ET and Jaws in there amoung others.

The clothes - so I'm a right 'girl' when it comes to Oscars!

THE BAD
    Beautiful Mind winning best adapted screen play (he wrote Batman and Robin!!?),best film and best director. Can you say 'daylight robbery?'

Jim Broadbent beating Ian to Best Supporting Actor... :mad:

Shrek beating Monsters Inc :(

That it's taken nearly 75 years for Oscar to break the colour barrier. Let's hope the sexuality one is next to go!

JLo's hair and Gwyneth Paltrow's dress - major disasters! ;)

That's all I can think of right now - as I said two hours sleep is making me act funny! ;)

12. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    I'd agree on the Shrek vs Monsters Inc issue too.... Shrek was a bit underwhelming to be truthful... not that I was expecting a lot, but everyone was talking about it and it wasn't that good, imo...

For The Birds was classy! I didn't even realise it was nominated!!

13. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    Don't get me wrong Becky, I aint a homophobe or anything - but can you say Gold digger?

14. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    I saw it in on Sky News this morning. What they called the highlights. Halle Berry is gonna be a laughing stock. Gwyneth Paltrow must be feeling relieved that someone else made a big @rse of themselves finally.

15. ObiJohnKenobi

ObiJohnKenobi Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    The very existence of the oscars disgusts and baffles me. Self-indulgent, pompous, back-slapping crap. It is inconceivable that the morons of the public actually queue up to confirm film stars' delusions that they are in some way special, and not just attention-grabbing spoilt b@st@rds who should really be lined up once a year and smacked, hard, right in the face.

Everybody please repeat after me:

Making films is not a competition.

16. Beckymonster

Nov 28, 2001
    Gav - I very, very much doubt it! The gorgeous young man has been Ian's partner for nearly two years.

To call him a 'gold digger' would hint that Ian is not to be considered a bit of a catch.

Okay - the brain isn't working at top whack so please forgive my lapses in logic here (and any faux pas I make :))

I will lay my cards on the table here... I think Ian McKellen is a very beautiful, intelligent, sexy bloke, with a gorgeous voice, amazing talent and (from reading interviews and his website) a lovely personality.

Anyone in their right mind would snap him up in a cold minute - I know I would! I get the distinct impression that the partner isn't after Ian's 'glamour' or 'fame' but after him as a human being - this is the second time he's been seen on McKellen's arm. If he wanted more - surely we would have seen this gorgeous young specimin (sp) before?

I know you don't mean to sound homophobic (you didn't)but I just wanted to set the record straight (sic!)

Forgive me - gay rights is one of my 'hobby horses'... a couple of friends of mine are gay and they're no different from anyone else...

And who the hell put that soapbox there!?!

17. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    I hold the Oscars in the same regard as the Eurovision Song Contest.

I only watch it to see people make an arse of themselves.

I hold the BAFTAs in higher regard.

18. MayhemUK

MayhemUK Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2001
    Got to agree with Beth on her "black" comment above. Halfway through (yes I too watched the whole lot like Becky!) I was wondering if this was going to be the "black" Oscars. After Whoopi's jokes, Sidney Poitier's Special Achievement Oscar (fully deserved I might add) and the subjects of BOTH winning documentaries being black... Halle and Denzel winning did not surprise me much at all when it came.

And yes, she made a right arse of herself a la Paltrow heh...

19. Beckymonster

Nov 28, 2001
    I don't think that Halle's response is in the same league as Gwyneth's.

I mean look at the situation. She is the very first black actress to win the most prestigious award of the whole pile. As Whoopi pointed out - she has opened the door for others now.

Not only that but this was the first film that she had been up for any kind major awards. If you listened to the gossip that award was going to be going home with either Ms Kidman or Ms Spacek.

The poor girl really didn't know what the blessed hell had hit her! I like Halle - she was a damn good Storm (in X-Men) and I think she'll make for a good Bond Girl too.

Gwyneth was just another white actress winning an award - nowt to see!

20. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    I wonder how she feels now that shes an oscar winng actress, shes gonna be a bond girl.

Not to cheapen James Bond but, I wonder if she'd have done it with an oscar under her belt.

21. Tanktopgirl

Tanktopgirl Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2001
    It is inconceivable that the morons of the public actually queue up to confirm film stars' delusions that they are in some way special, and not just attention-grabbing spoilt b@st@rds who should really be lined up once a year and smacked, hard, right in the face

Smack them. Poke them all in the eye. And chin all those pillocks who line up on a balcony to scream @ "stars" walking past on the red carpet.

I'm holding each and everyone of them responsible for the X Files being cancelled last night and replaced with Hollywood Arse.

Mulder is missing - does nobody give?

22. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    But it shouldn't be a big deal that she won and she was black. It should have been on merit......

Let's see how many more black actresses win. She is famous cause she is a pretty face. Nowt else. Let's see her do shakespeare and show everybody her acting talents. Halle Berry has two talents. And mighty fine they are.

And what were the americans wearing? compare it to the brits.

[image=http://news.bbc.co.uk/furniture/in_depth/entertainment/2002/oscars/pics/night_berry.jpg]

[image=http://news.bbc.co.uk/furniture/in_depth/entertainment/2002/oscars/pics/night_goldberg.jpg]

[image=http://news.bbc.co.uk/furniture/in_depth/entertainment/2002/oscars/pics/night_windlet.jpg]

[image=http://news.bbc.co.uk/furniture/in_depth/entertainment/2002/oscars/pics/night_mirren.jpg]

23. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    and I think she'll make for a good Bond Girl too

NooooOOOOO!!! Can anyone say Teri Hatcher?

Halle Berry has two talents. And mighty fine they are. That's one thing Tery Hatcher certainly doesn't have in common with her...

24. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    wants the girl from Goldeneye back

25. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    See? This is why I hold the Baftas in higher regard.

The Oscars just have no class.

Look at the state of Whoopi Goldberg!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.