main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sac, CA Beware the ides of March... and their topics.

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by TaintedJedi, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaintedJedi

TaintedJedi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2004
    Okay, so I'm a day late for the joke to work, but I blame daylight savings time.

So my thought for this month's topic is... with the "Saga Complete" (for now, knowing Uncle George), what would you like to see next out of Star Wars?

More movies? Different characters? Novels? That TV show we always hear about being "just around the corner"?

For me, the most interesting thing I've seen done with the Star Wars franchise since about Episode I has been, ironically, a "step back" from the Timothy Zahn renaissance (Zahnaissance?) of the novels. I was really turned off by the ideas introduced in The New Jedi Order series, and the bleakness of the Legacy of the Force books. Instead, I think the first new novel to pique my interest is this book called Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor. It's not that I think the novel is in and of itself the second coming of Skywalker, but that the flavor of the novel is more in the spirit of the old adventure serials the original movie was based on. It's more pulpy, fun... just plain more adventurous in what I've read of it. And I like it. It explores and plays with a familiar part of the canon's timeline in a familiar tone that contrasts with the "serious business" that was the second two movies of the OT. For similar reasons, I like what I've seen of "The Clone Wars" television series - I'm a huge sucker for the art style (which I know turns at least one or two people off if memory serves), and again the tone is more pulpy/adventure serial then the movies, which I dig.

But what about other characters? Do people think there are meaningful, interesting stories to tell in the franchise that DON'T revolve around the movie characters? There seems to have been some success with "The Old Republic" video games and comics, which do play with the idea of looking at the far past of the Star Wars universe and seem to have produced some real gems - but I'm no connoisseur of that material.

Or should they just leave it all alone because they've "done enough damage" to your childhood?

2. Quinlan_Vos_1

Quinlan_Vos_1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 11, 2007
    I would have to say that I would love to see The Legacy series in different formats.
    Anything the J. Ostrander/ J. Durssema touch is instant SW gold to me. But, I find myself lacking more love from this era. The new books: LotJ/FotJ all touch on early themes for this era which for continuity's sake flows well.
    They have created some great memorable characters on their work w/the Republic series that have seen the changes throughout the galaxy.
    Chak was a wookie cub during the Clone Wars as Villie's co-pilot and returns as Capt of his ship w/a female Devorion(perhaps Villie's girl...)as the mech.
    A'sharad Hett started as a tusken & Jedi Padawan to his father till his death and went to become a great knight & survive Order 66 by returning to the Sands until Obi banished him & turn to bounty hunting, then captured/tortured by the Vong B4 the NJO, to be consumed as Darth Krayt.
    And the hero has a drug problem.
    Them seem to touch a few areas of our today life in the galaxy 137aby.
    Would make a great video game or anime. Not really into the mini's game thing but noticed that hasbro is going that way for the 33/4 line also.

Vos

3. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    Speaking of Hasbro... a long running (and i mean looooong - since like 2005 or earlier) idea of mine has been to run a Star Wars RPG for the group. While the minis game is "kinda sorta not really" the same - anyone familiar with Dungeons and Dragons would "get" how to play Star Wars (more or less).

The problem is of course that game sessions tend to run about 4+ hours in order to really get anything out of them - and the more people in the group the longer it can take to run through each person's turns/chance to participate. Still, if I had the time and/or money to make the time, I'd like to see us try it sometime.

-TJ

4. DarthZemog

DarthZemog Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Well, for me since the rumored live action series is supposed to take place in between ROTS and ANH and tell stories of other characters in the SW universe other then the ones we all know about, I think I would like to see some stories from before TPM like the Knights of the Old Republic. Don't know if I'm ready for a new live action movie, but an animated series would be cool, maybe in a 2d style like Justice League or Ben 10 Alien Force. Would be cool to see animated tales about the old Republic, the Sith the Jedi Knights and whatnot. Maybe how the Jedi became the peace keepers of the Universe and all that jazz.

Speaking of animated SW, did you see this on the main page about a cartoon for little kids based off of the "Galactic Heroes" toyline called,.....ready for it,.....I'm not making this up,.......it comes from the "Maker",.......simply horrible,.......ok here it is,.......did I drag this out long enough,........it's working title is Squishies!?! "Squishies"?! What the.....?! I think ol George has gone off the deep end with this one. If anyone has caught the "Super Hero Squad" which is the kiddie cartoon based off of the same type of toyline but for Marvel superheros then you already have some insight on how bad that idea could be. It's bad enough to see Dr. Doom all cutesy trying to stop the Abomination from fighting with Modoc over whose turn it is to play the new videogame system they got, but imagine a cutesy version of Vader I don't know getting thrown into a mud puddle and then yelling "Curses you Rebels!" back at Han, Luke and Leia as they stand over him laughing. Oh man, shoot me now. I know its just a cartoon idea, but c'mon, do really little kids,Pre-School to Kindergarten aged children which are the targeted demographic really need a silly cutesy SW cartoon. GROAN

SW goes Cute!

Anyway, the floor is open!
    ~DZ

5. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    And people thought Indy IV was bad. Don't ever say "this is the worse thing they could ever do..." because good ol' Uncle George will surprise us all. ;)

EDIT: I think I heard it on wiki so I don't know that it's reliable, but supposedly his next project is supposed to be a CGI musical. =/

-TJ

6. DarthZemog

DarthZemog Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    A CGI musical?! Uh ok, because thats a good direction to go with your career! Can't be worse then the Broadway production of Spiderman that was/is/might be in production.

Anyway, the main page has another update about the live action series that should be materializing sometime before flying cars. Here's the link: SW Live Action Update

Also, the actual article pointed out this 7 part review of TPM and it is hilarious and points out A LOT of things that GL and the script writers for the TV show should keep in mind while writing the scripts for the show. Warning for adult language: TPM Review Part 1

~DZ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.