main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by LAJ_FETT , Mar 24, 2013.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    BBC News

Blizzard has taken the wraps off the new video game it has been developing - a collectable card game.
    Called Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, the duelling game is based around cards players gather.
    The game will be free to play in that people can earn cards by playing, but they will advance faster by buying cards in stores.
    Blizzard said Hearthstone was going through internal testing but would be released before the end of 2013.

Looks like this is a combo card and video game. Hit the link above to see the rest of the story and some pics.

2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Ah, I am not sure what to think of this, Warcraft is the only Blizzard universe I am unfamiliar with, and I still only have Diablo II/LoD and StarCraft/BW.

3. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I like the concept. I don't know anyone locally to play CCGs with so the online side interests me, and the cards would be good to sort out decks with for those who can make the most of both or can't play online. I'd probably try out a demo of the video game version and see what it's like before I decide to do anything.

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    So the open beta for this started today. I have zero experience with CCGs but all the hype surrounding it got me interested plus the fact that it seems to be a bit more geared towards casual players or total noobs like me (free to play is nice too :p ). I just finished the tutorial and I think there's a good chance I'll enjoy this.

Also, someone might wanna edit the thread title.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Title updated by user request.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  6. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Just went 10-3 in the Arena. I am the best. :p

I'm pretty much waiting for a new card set now though, there's still a very limited amount - to the point where I recognise every single card in the game now by sight alone.

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Well I'm nowhere near that point but I am starting to get a better handle on the cards, especially class specific ones (i.e. if I'm against a Mage and they play a 3-mana Secret then I'll know it's most likely Mirror Entity).

8. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Yep, and turn 7 is flamestrike. Always. So don't play a bunch of minions with 4 health.

I just think it's very impressive that Blizzard have managed to create a fairly strategic CCG so user-friendly and easy to pick up. The rules are simple, and the UI is beautiful, but dig into the game and you suddenly realise that you have to really focus on your tempo and bait out removal before playing your crucial cards. The deck size is so small too!

Arena's definitely my favourite mode though, love the fact that your draft throws you something completely different every time. It's also much more tense given that you have 150 gold on the line.

I do wish they'd allow you to create more than 9 decks though. I have one of each class so I don't get bored which means I have to delete a deck if I fancy creating a new one.

9. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Ughhh yes Flamestrike is so annoying. :p

10. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    The game is now officially released!

11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Fooling around with it in spare time.

It's decent fun, but I'm pretty sure I'll get owned by dedicated players at higher levels... I've got no desire to fool around in detail with some special deck layouts or whatever...

12. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
  13. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Nice! I went 3-3 in Arena the other day....and I had both Ysera and Leeroy Jenkins in the deck. I'm sure someone with slightly better skill than me could have done much better. :p

Looking forward to adventure mode.

07jonesj likes this.
  14. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Ysera is a great card, but only if you make it to turn 9 in one piece. :p

I've spent over 500 hours on the game, so if I'm looking forward to some new content. Still haven't spent any money yet. I'd say the F2P model has been implemented pretty well here. It's great that they're allowing you to tackle the adventure mode with in-game gold - though I wonder if they are a one-time purchase thing or whether it's like Arena and you pay for each entry.

15. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Do you play ranked?

16. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Only occasionally. It's just not as interesting as Arena to me. I reached Rank 10 last season before the reset, and am sitting at 17 now. The concept of the draft process and how your deck is completely different every time you play... the game probably wouldn't have maintained my interest if not for this mode.

I mostly do my dailies on ranked, to slowly work towards dem Golden heroes. :p

17. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Well, in three days I've gone from Rank 17 to Rank 7. Am trying to get the Legendary card back. Running three decks - Warlock aggro, Paladin aggro and Mage control. No Epics or Legendaries.

I hope they don't introduce a new card back for reaching Legendary rank every season. That would be... unfortunate for any sort of productivity.

18. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    The game is now officially out for iPad in NA and EU. **** just got real.

19. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I'm almost glad I don't own an iPad. Still, pretty awesome to hear that it's been successfully ported.

20. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Oh man this is too good.

21. Duro_Blade

Duro_Blade Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2002
    i've been on this game since closed beta, very fun. They keep re-tooling it and it keeps getting better. this is a great concept for a game and Blizzard knocked it out of the park. Would love to see a Pokemon or Star Wars Card Game in this style. It would be a huge hit. as it is, i play this on my PC daily to do quests for gold and on my ipad when I'm just sitting around. The NAX expansion looks to shake things up, too.

22. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Definitely looking forward to Naxxramas. Still not all that great at Arena (6 wins is my best result) but I'm better than before.

23. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    The first wing of Naxxramas was great fun. Voice acting had a good sense of humour and the new cards make the game feel fresh again. First five battles were pretty damn easy but the heroic battles were... not. I actually found Anub'rekhan the hardest. A 4/4 every turn for 2 mana? Ouch.

Looking forward to trying out the 6 new cards in decks.

24. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Heroic Maexxna was the hardest for me. I ended up using this deck but it still took me like 10 tries to finally get the right opening hand. I beat Faerlina on my first try with just a standard Zoo deck. :p

25. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    So....Webspinner is kind of ridiculous. There's no way they can keep that at 1 mana cost.