main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive [Book] 'You Can Draw: Star Wars' - Coming Winter 2006

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by LAJ_FETT , Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I checked down a bunch of pages and didn't see anything on this. You Can Draw: Star Wars - written by Bonnie Burton and illustrated by Matt Busch and Tom Hodges will be published in winter 2006. There is more information and a few sample pages here on TOS. Sounds like a good Christmas present for any budding fan artists!

2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Wow! That'll be a nice book for beginners definitely! I'll probably pick this book up just because I'm an artist and I'm curious about some of the tutorials. :p

But blah! On the preview, there is one MAJOR thing that is bothering me! They have the proportions of the figure wrong]! The human figure is 7 1/2 - 8 heads tall, not 9! Grr... [face_frustrated]

3. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003

I can see why they did that; instead of counting the entire head, they end it at the mouth, which would definately throw things off a bit. Had they gone from top of the head to the chin, Han would be about 7 1/2 - 8 heads tall rather than 9.

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Hmm...I see it now, however, I've never seen that in an anatomy book before. Even in my anatomy class, they taught us to use the entire head. Not sure if ending it at the mouth is the best way to teach it. At least with the entire head, you have a solid, whole shape to measure by. I think for beginniner drawers, the method they have in the book will be way more difficult.

5. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    Oh, I agree. I was just explaining the way they did it. I was also taught to use the entire head; it's a method used by virtually every professional in the comic book field.

6. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    I always love how these books make everything look so simple to draw.

I was looking at the book cover and they showed how easy it is to draw a stormtrooper:
    [image=http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/6312/howtodrawzr5.png]
    And I am thinking, "I can't even draw the first image!"

They might as well have something like this:
    [image=http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8968/howtodrawlukemp5.jpg]

;) I am just joking. This looks like a wonderful book. I am sure to buy it. My boys love drawing Star Wars pictures.

AG88

7. rhi-sparks

rhi-sparks Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2006
    LOL @ AG88.
    I get the same feeling...
    :p

8. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    [face_laugh]

But yeah, good point, actually... [face_thinking]

Anyway, sounds like an interesting book, especially when art by great Tom Hodges and Matt Busch is in it. :D

9. Alishu06

Alishu06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2005
    I can't wait!!!!!

10. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I agree with AG88 actually.
    Every "how to draw" book I had as a kid did that to me. A major leap from the second to the last and final figures.
    Though I did learn to draw quite a few dinosaurs at least :p

11. Alishu06

Mar 29, 2005
    does anyone know when this comes out...I keep on getting different release dates...

12. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm not entirely sure but I was just wondering this the other day myself since I'm planning on picking it up. Although the winter of 2006 has me confused since that would've been back in January/February. [face_thinking]

13. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    As far as I could figure out, there are two versions:

1: Star Wars Characters with Stencils (You Can Draw (DK)) (Loose Leaf) for $19.99 [17.50?], which will be released in January, 1st.

2: You Can Draw "Star Wars" (hardback) for $12.99 [20.90?], which will be released in February, 1st.

It's a bit confusing....

14. Alishu06

Mar 29, 2005
    I saw that too, winter 2006 hmmmm? I've heard it could be a christmas gift, but if it doesn't come out till January...

Oh and the magazine (Insider) has it October 2006.

Oh and Chilla what is the difference between the two? The covers looked the same on Amazon...

15. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    The type of the book, the prize and the time when it comes out...

16. Alishu06

Mar 29, 2005
    Okay, so which one do you think is the better book?

17. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm just taking a guess here, but it sounds like the first one is more aimed at kids(it mentioned something about stencils). While the second one just comes with the "How to" part of it. Don't quote me on that, though.

18. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    I recall reading something about age: 4-8 there.....

19. Alishu06

Mar 29, 2005
    I just want it to come out...grrrrrr lol

20. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    It's aimed at 4-8 year olds and they expect them to get the same results as what is presented in that book? o_O

Talk about setting a high bar. If anything it'll make frustration set in a lot faster.

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just a heads-up that Amazon says this book is out today. For UK fans, Amazon UK says Feb 1. Tom Hodges, one of the illustrators, has also mentioned it in the Lit forum. As far as the different listings go, I am pretty sure they are referring to the same book.

22. TDHArtist

TDHArtist LFL Webstrip Artis star 4 VIP

Dec 31, 2000
    What he said. :)

23. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I was wondering when this would be released. I'm not really interested in the tutorials, I just want the book to check out the artwork. I think that in itself is worth the money. ;)

24. Alishu06

Mar 29, 2005
    I heard that this was out...going to look for it this weekend :)

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I finally got this from Amazon UK today. It looks pretty good. The book is broken down into three chapters: Pencil Drawing, Inking and Coloring, and Creating a Comic. Each chapter is broken down into sections.
    For example, under Pencil Drawings there are such sections as Basics, Male and Female Figures, Shading and Light, Droids, Starships, Clothing and Armor. There are three Master Classes as well - Anakin, Vader, and the Millenium Falcon.
    Under Inking and Coloring there are Color Basics, Manga Style, and a Yoda Master Class (to name a few).
    Creating a Comic has Shots & Angles, The Script, and Final Layout.

The Master Classes consist of a rough drawing on a heavy tracing paper and a finished drawing. You could probably photocopy or scan the rough drawing and finish it as an exercise.

Edit - I've looked through the book a bit now. It looks great! One thing I didn't pick up on earlier - each Master Class also has a finished inked drawing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.