main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Brent Weeks - The Night Angel Trilogy and The Lightbringer Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Evil Incarnate, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    Didn't see a thread for him, and he definitely deserves one.

The Night Angel Trilogy reminded me of a mix between Ender's Shadow and Mistborn. Though it's not really the most accurate comparison, it does skim the surface of some of the basic points in the series. I was able to devour the series(about 1800 pages) in less than two weeks, though it was only because I couldn't stop reading. :)

I'm about to start The Black Prism, the first book in the Lightbringer Series. Hopefully he releases these books as quick as the Night Angel Trilogy was released, but I doubt it'll happen. :p

brentweeks.com

Evil.

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Read the Night Angel Trilogy a couple weeks ago - it was pretty good. The comparison I had (the first book in particular) was to Lynch's Lies of Locke Lamora/Red Seas Under Red Skies, though that is far from a perfect comparison either. The second and third books were definitely better than the first, though.

3. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I will pick up The Black Prism at some point. I though it looked interesting.

4. Fallen-Hero

Fallen-Hero Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 5, 2009
    I'm some 50 pages in The Way of Shadows and I like it so far. I'm going to wait till I'm done reading this one and perhaps Shadow's Edge before thinking of buying The Black Prism. I got a habit of buying books and failing to read them because I bought a new one meanwhile.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I suspect I'll probably read the Black Prism (and sequels, once they're published) eventually, but probably not anytime particularly soon.

6. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    I'm about halfway through The Black Prism right now, and I must say, Brent cant spin a fantastic story. He may not have the most polished writing style in this book, but the quality of the story more than makes up for it. :)

Evil.

7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I know I've already asked, but that was several weeks ago, so . . . what are these books about again 8-} And would I like them?

8. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    Nat, I just bought The Way of Shadows today. I will comment every 100 pages on whether I approve or not to give you an air about them.

Also, they are a series, I presume, about an assassin.

-b

9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    What we would still call an assassin, at least, though the book shies away from that term - something beyond a simple assassin (the term used is wetboy). Perhaps "super-assassin" is more appropriate :p

10. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    Yes, I believe you would like them very much. :)

Evil.

11. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    I really, really hope The Way of Shadows gets better. The author's style is unbearable, however I'm not that far into it, so I will bear with it.[face_tired]

Please tell me that the end of the book is worth getting to guys. Otherwise, Neal Stephenson Anathem...HERE I COME!:p

-B

12. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, I like the second and third books better than the first, but I didn't really have any major issues with his style of writing.

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'll put him on my list :D

14. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    Finished The Black Prism on Monday and I must say, Brent has started a very intriguing series with a fascinating system of Magic. Some things in the book I saw coming, others jumped out at me and slapped me in the face. I'm looking forward to the continuation of this series. :)

Evil.

15. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    I was slightly annoyed by the writing style during the second half of book one. I can't put my fingers on exactly what it was. It just felt like the flow of words wasn't natural. But book two is much better! There are more surprising turns to the story and I like that.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    So, I actually saw his books in a store a few days ago. I'll definitely have to find copies :D

17. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I havent had alot of time to read it yet but so far 155 pgs into The Black Prism and it is really damn good! This magic system is really neat and wild. I hope this book keeps it up till the end. How many books is Lightbringer supposed to be anyway all told?

18. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    The magic system in this one is full of so many possibilities! :D Can't wait for the next one.

Evil.

19. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Yes it does that is no lie. I literally JUST finished this book. So good, my head was hurting with all those twist and surprises he threw at us.

20. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    Haha, I know how you feel. There was a lot to swallow in this book. :p

Evil.

21. Darth_Fred

Darth_Fred Jedi Master star 5

Mar 1, 2004
    I just noticed this, since I am usually absent from these boards.

I have yet to read the Night Angel books, but I did read the Black Prism. Quite enjoyable, and more complex than I would have expected. I'm eager for more.

22. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Excellent! You went the route I took and enjoyed it!

23. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    I'm about halfway through the last Night Angel book. I'm really liking the series, but I cant stop thinking about how some things are SO much like other series. Like the Lae'knaught=Children of the Light and the Chantry=The White Tower. And then a lot of it reminds me of Mistborn too. I still like it a lot though.

24. Darth_Fred

Darth_Fred Jedi Master star 5

Mar 1, 2004
    I happened across it by accident, via a book club. It came paired with a Terry Brooks novel. Wound up liking it a lot more than the Brooks book. :p

25. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    I know what you mean by that. There's a lot of it that reminded me of the Ender/Bean series too, especially the beginning.

Evil.