main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Brian - Can you talk to me a bit about meditation, please?

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother Guys' started by OBIWAN-JR, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    Bri,

In the 3PO thread I made under: What are your main hobbies/interests/freetime activities you mentioned meditation. It's something that I have read about in the Conversations with God books I mentioned to you, and is something I'd like to become a part of my life on a regular basis.

I wondered if you'd tell me a little bit about it: How often you meditate; how long for; what you meditate on; how you DO it; and whether it's something that was taught to you, etc, etc.

I've kinda tried, but I have to say, I have also felt a little goofy trying and wouldn't mind a little help in getting started.

[Jar Jar] Any help here would be hot! [/Jar Jar]

Mucho thanks, my friend.

Jay :)

2. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Jay,

Happy to help in any way that I can. Let me see if I can start by answering your questions:

How often you meditate

Well, there's how often do I meditate and how often I should meditate. Sadly, they're not the same thing. I meditate about once every other day or so. I should be meditating every day. To me, it's just like PTing (exercising for you non-military types). It's something you should make a habit and carve out time to do. Fifteen minutes of meditation is about all you need and you can actually schedule it every day.

how long for

Well, I sort of answered that, but let me expound. You'll get lots of disagreement on how often and for how long you ¡§should¡¨ meditate for. The simple answer is this: meditate only as often and only for as long as you need. I feel incredibly rejuvenated after about 15 mins of meditation. I have meditated for hours on end as well, but that's only happened when I was alone in the woods or something and there are no outside pressures to concern myself with.

what you meditate on

Nothing. Nothing at all. As Yoda would say, "Clear your mind." :p

Seriously, though, I don't meditate with a purpose other than to attain balance. I focus on my center--my connection with my Chi (kinda like the force, but without the midi-chlorians and moving things with your mind). Other people have different approaches to meditation, but this is mine.

how you DO it

Now that's a tougher question. How do I teach one to meditate without being there with him to coach him through it? Generally speaking, I find a secluded spot with no distractions. I have a room in my house expressly for this purpose. It's a place where there is very little sound and, when I'm there, no one bothers me. I kneel on the floor (a rug or carpet is nice) and then I steady my breathing. I close my eyes and begin to take steady, rhythmic measured breaths, focusing on the rhythm of my breathing. I listen to the sound of the air flowing into and out of my body. I listen more closely and I can hear my lungs expanding and contracting as air flows into and out of me. Eventually, your mind begins to settle on that process and you can slowly disconnect from that activity and begin to wait.

Yes, I said wait. Meditation is a passive process, not an active one. If there is something that's on my mind that prompted me to meditate, then I allow my mind to drift toward that thing. From here, it's kind of hard to explain. In many ways, it's like being in water. Sometimes when I meditate, it's like being on a calm sea, and all I do is drift along. I don't fight a thought when it emerges, I just follow it to wherever it leads me. Other times, it's like being in a turbulent river. I treat it the same way, but I bounce all over the place. Almost always, if I trust the process, I end up in a calm place, drifting along, and steady.

That's usually when it's time to stop, but you don't have to. I've stayed in that place for long periods and loved it every time.

Hope that wasn't too cryptic.

whether it's something that was taught to you

I was taught to meditate by my Sensei when I was 7 and continued to study with him until I came here when I was 14. For many years, I thought of meditation as this annoying thing that my Sensei made me do and I just ¡§put up with it.¡¨ But after my dad died, I found great peace in meditation and it became an integral part of my life. Much of my approach to meditation stems from those early teachings, but just as much, if not more, is self-taught based on what my individual needs were.

Hope you found that helpful, Jay! :D

Edit: Wierd stuff happened. I think I fixed it all.

3. OBIWAN-JR

Oct 25, 2002
    VERY helpful.
    Large thanks, Bri, much appreciated. :)

I want to come back and answer each point, and may have some more questions, if that's cool. But right now, I have to go to a Circus Party!!!!!

Jay :)

4. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Circus party!! Awesome! Have fun! :D

5. OBIWAN-JR

Oct 25, 2002
    I know!
    I reckon I'm gonna have my arse kicked by the guy whose 40th it is, because I am going as a Ringmaster and (if he's not a clown) no doubt he will too.

But I couldn't think of another costume that meant I could take part, and still look cool!!

:p

Pics tomorrow!!

-JR :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.