main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BROKEN ALLEGIANCE Trailer B

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Azeem, Feb 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macman

macman Jedi Youngling

Feb 27, 2002
    Hey guys, macman here - alias Stephen Rees, the Editor of the Broken Allegiance Trailer B.

I am facinated to see the reaction to Nick's epic film. Of all the things you have all reacted to - the sets, the music, the acting, the 3rd pixel to left of the 56th fx shot - I am surprised you haven't notice one particular thing we were worried about.

What am I talking about? Well lets start a little nit-picking competition - specifically 'flopped' (or perhaps 'flipped' to some of us) shots...

As you would be aware, switching the direction of an actor to suit an edited sequence (particularly trailers) is common practice.

So, which ones are which, eh?

One clue...'scar'.

That should set the cat amongst the pigeons!! :)

2. icicle

icicle Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 2000
    Okay. everyone here has a point. Anyone and everyone should be allowed to make a fan film. That is our god given right. Am I envious of the scale that Vidman and BA are working on. Hell yes. The imaginary bar? Ok. I imagined that. There is no chance that as films get better and better that the little man will get cut out of the loop. That never happens. Life is always fair and everyone always gets a fair chance at everything. Thats the way life works.

So when more and more production houses start making fan films and the effects and acting and production start to reach Lucas Quality will the little man still have a place to post his backyard film? Who knows.

I thought I made it clear that I believe that there is a need to discuss the future of Fan Films heading this direction. But I regret that it is monopolizing the BA trailer thread. I know that if our SOD thread got Hi-jacked like this I'd be upset.
    So again.....I apologize to Vidman and the BA crew. They look to have a hell of a movie coming out and I applaud them for their efforts.

Also.....just to clear up something. My case here is not against Vidman or BA. I am simply pondering the effects of fan films in general becoming more and more Studio based. Maybe BA isn't a perfect case of this. But there sure seems to be an emphasis on newer films coming out of bigger "studios" or film crews. (Except DaftMaul who obviously does incredible work on limited resources).

Also.....JediTac. Just in case you forgot....SOD had an entirely original score other than the Main Theme for the scrolling text at the begining. So its not all envy here. Some. But not all.

3. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    cool macman, the only thing I noticed is the flipped troopers and flipped officers that appeared to be shot down. and the separately composited troops and officers in the back ground as vader is walking toward his shuttle...

That was pretty interesting though, anymore tricks in there?

4. Vidman

Vidman Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2001
    Thanks everyone for you kind words. I am pleased that the trailer is popular. I only hope that we havent made it TOO good and the film will suffer from too much hype and wont live up to expectation. Well needless to say we are going to work hard to make is as good as it can be.

We are hoping to release the film in mid-April, about a month before AOTC hits cinemas. But that is entirely dependant on how hard I crack the whip on the FX boys, and Im already cracking pretty hard! :)

Thanks to H, Cam, Steve, John and others who worked many long and hard hours to get the B trailer online as looking as good as it does.

5. teri

teri Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 13, 1999
    Man that trailer was good, it really got jme pumped to see what the acctual finished product will be like, can't wait to see it.

>>> also the comments, this looks way better that Knightquest, I really didn't dig that one, since being a member since '99 this is second to my favourite Troops, heh a crackup,

Nect to AOTC and Spiderman this
    is what I wanna see, a preveiw worthy to be up THERE>>>

6. citizen-X

citizen-X Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2001
    I rarely have a oppurtunity to post here anymore due to study commitments.

All i can say is. I have got to be one of the most fortunate ppl in the world to of been able to of known vidman in person. I remember a dark night a year back in january i believe where i put a news post on my old Counter strike clan website asking for anyone in the gaming community that would want to help me with a fanfilm to be done in Melbourne, Victoria. Few days after that a email from a "Nick Hallam aka [CSM] Vidman" emails me saying he was interested. From there it grew into its current state. (incase you were wondering where Vidizen came from for those who dont know..combination of *Vid*man and cit*izen*-X)

After filming finished i couldn't help out due to school so it was all up2 nick to work his heart out to get the CGI and editting done and all i dont think theres a word that could describe the thanks to him and the rest of the BA crew who made a 16 year old kids dream of co writing/producing a script and seeing it turn into what it has today.

The only disappointment i can see from being a part of this would be to not see nick workin for lucasfilm on episode III :p Cause the guy has Talent, vision and a heck of a lot of patience (especially when it came to the $$$)and understanding.

I rarely get to see how the film is going due to not being online much so seeing trailer B was the first thing since i saw trailer A a while back and it was jaw dropping to say the least. I know that when all is said and done, the film will reflect everyones hard work and with all the behind the scenes footage..(around 5000 times longer than the movie length) i wonder if theres gonna be a codec that could keep the filesize down to fit a 40gig hdd :D Its definitly gone way over our original $400 budget we had estimated each :)

Great work so far Nick with trailer B and im looking forward to seeing the big grin on your face when your finished with the rest of BA.

Cheers

7. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Well, I couldn't connect for the last five days, and here's what I get when I come back...

I got two things to say :

1) I really liked the trailer. BUT, don't ask me why, it didn't get me that excited for the movie. Something bugged me a bit : all the fade in/fade out shots of the beginning... I HUMBLY and PERSONNALY think there are too many of them...(for example, I had to watch and watch again before actually seeing that force push...and yes, it does look TOTALLY COOL !!!!!! MORE OF THIS, PLEASE !!)
    Anyway....I still really want to see Broken Allegiance... But... The BTS featurette about the fight choreography got me more excited...

2) Maybe you didn't know, and I think this is the first time it happens, but a fanfilm got mentionned on the Dark Horizons News & Rumors page... I guess this trailer does look cool 8-}

And, something that was mentionned before : the CG shots are very cool ! I especially love that shot, Vader, where he's looking at the dead troopers (with the sunset and all...WOW.)

8. Cunard

Cunard Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2001
    I actually noticed that the bounty hunter wasn't wearing his helmet at one point. It seemed like a mistake, but I would have to see the whole film to know :)

9. macman

macman Jedi Youngling

Feb 27, 2002
    Regarding the use of fades to & from black; this is a device common in trailers which allows only glimpses of a shot - thus saving something more for the actual film. If you had to watch the trailer a few times - good, that was the idea. I wanted 'impressions' of things - hints and feelings, not detail.

As for the concern that we may have given too much away, well there are a few key points where we deliberately mislead you in the trailer. All is not quite as it seems...

We have held back several shots I wanted to include, but Nick felt they gave too much away. He was right. It is a tricky balance, but I think we succeeded.

Macman
    BA Full Trailer Editor

10. Plague

Plague Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2002
    Well all I can say about this movie is I cant wait for it to come out and i do wish they posted when the movie will be out. As far as some of the people complaining on how the lightsabers do not look that good or they do not look like the ones from the fantom menace.
    Well if all the movies lightsabers all looked exactly the same it would get dull and boring. When I finally get a project going and make my movie I hope my sabers look different then others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.