main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Brothers to The End: Gears 3 discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Darth-Vassago, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I played some split-screen campaign with a friend who owns the game and was thoroughly impressed. All the things I didn't like about the first Gears were gone, replaced with pure awesome. We did go online, but I am downright awful at shooters and as a result hate any multiplayer they offer. :p

2. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    OK I decided to cave in and buy it because both my housemates have it and when we did splitscreen sessions over the weekend it was really really fun.

Glad I decided to get it now because as far as multiplayer goes it's pretty goddamn awesome (internet high five to anyone who recognises that reference)

3. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I got this with my new Gears Xbox last week and I'm about half-way through Act V... holy **** what a ride! So many memorable moments, awesome game.

4. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    QFT. :p

5. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Finished it last night. Nice ending, wraps everything up nicely. The ending was a lot easier than I was expecting, but I was only playing "normal" difficulty. I've restarted the campaign in arcade mode and bumped it up to hardcore, not quite ready for insane yet. :p

6. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    If you haven't tried out Beast mode and played as a Berserker yet, oh man is that fun. It takes some doing to unlock the Berserker and it can be really tough without a friend but that thing is a wrecking ball.

7. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Berserkers were the only class I didn't get to play as during my run to get that achievement for using all the classes in one session of Beast. Didn't quite have enough money to buy it.

8. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    So I got the game on loan and am going through the campaign for the time being, although I tried Beast mode last night (I mostly sucked, but it IS fun). It seems to be extremely forgiving even on hardcore, mostly because of the blessing (?) that your human controlled or AI squadmates can revive you if you get frakked, unlike in previous games where if you got killed, it was straight back to your last saved checkpoint (I'm guessing though that you could turn that off with one of those golden sku - I mean, "mutator" thingies, right?). Other than that, it's not really innovative except in terms of the new lambent enemies.

I am more than a bit impressed with the new competittive and career tracking frills. I guess CliffyB and them Epic folks must have sat through several Bungie "How To Do Fun (Yet Meaningless) Career Tracking On Your Games" seminars. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I guess the folks in Kirkland, WA must be proud of the legacy they've left.

9. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I didn't even consider going for that achievement. After a few runs with the lesser classes, it just felt like you needed a friend to do anything worthwhile. If the achievement is only playing as, rather than successfully playing as each species...then I could swing it. :p

To be honest, when I think of Halo and Gears, I believe Gears is much more fun and visually exhilarating than Halo ever has been. Yeah the story is all "beefy buff guys", but if you've played the entire series you have grown somewhat attached to characters like Dom, Marcus and Cole so you actually care about them. It's hard to care about an AI and an unstoppable super soldier in cool armor. I also find the online play more satisfying.

But, to each their own.

10. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I actually really like Cortana. She might be an AI but she has a lot of personality. I do, however, much prefer the Cole Train and Baird is hawt.

11. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    *sighs*

I'm not gonna heat up the ol' Halo Vs. Gears debate. Can we just agree that both series have their virtues and flaws and each appeal to similar/different gamers?

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Indeed. I enjoy both games. Both are appealing in their own ways and I don't think that either is inherently better than the other.

13. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Yes.

All I was pointing out was that when the entirety of the Reach team got off'd, I was hardly effected. Same with the overall ending of Halo 3. Just can't seem to bother caring about a faceless space Marine. But in Gears 3 when **SPOILERS**Dom died and the entire team was saved for his sacrifice I found myself genuinely moved. I didn't cry or pause and take a moment in remembrance, but it genuinely made me feel for Delta and their current struggle and just added a touch of hopelessness.

That's all. :p

14. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Yeah same here, although mostly because of the Mad World theme, a cheap trick. Still an awesome moment though.

I find myself enjoying these types of military bro games much more than usual at the moment. Having lived through (and continuing to live through) multiple terrifying moments in the real world that I have no control over, it's almost therapeutic to control these characters who go through hell moment after moment, only pick themselves up and keep pushing with determination. Yeah, video games helping me get through it! :p

15. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, Dom's death got me a bit misty eyed too and I found myself surprised at that, especially coming from a Gears game. By the same token, the only Noble death in Reach that did the same was Jorge's (and maybe Carter's), especially because of its utter futility. Again, both series have their moments, brief though they are.

16. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I wasn't going to get GoW3 until somewhen next year but I found an epic deal and caved, getting the Collector's Edition for just £30! Bit of a bargain and a Christmas present to myself there.

17. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Just finished Gears 2 so it's time to start kicking locust butt in Gears 3! [face_dancing]

I have a question though. There was a Baird skin available for preorder from somewhere. Is there any way I can get it? I love me the Baird. [face_love]