main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

C-IV MEMORIES (and speculations on C-V)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by ValedaKor, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Good Maker. I thought DCon in September was bad but frakkin' Orlando in August? I hope everyone invests in that Prescription Antiperspirant. [face_frustrated]

2. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    [face_thinking] how many hours flight from CA to Orlando?

Also they are asking the next celebration in 2014. :eek:

3. MightyMass

MightyMass Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2009
    No matter where it is, most of the convention will be indoors, and large convention centers are typically very well air conditioned.

Is it reasonable to think that Sansweet and friends will account for the temperature in the planning stages? They have to be aware of the fact that 90 percent of the attendees will be in costume.

Love,
    Matt

4. joesdomain

joesdomain Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2006
    Thank goodness I am dead broke now! I know I am noot going if they choose Orlando. Why give Florida residents another star wars convention. They already have Disney Weekends every year. I am sticking to Indy for my choice. That is the only way I am going. Just buy a one day pass if they chose Indy! Why have a celebration in 2014? I read that article and wonder why they mentioned that. Return of the Jedi turns 30 in 2013. Does not make sense!

5. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Well, Orlando won't be any hotter or sweatier for me than it is in Panama City. It's not the heat I'm worried about. I have two words to say about Orlando.

Hurricane Season.

One big blow in the Atlantic and CV gets canceled at the last minute. Definitely not fun. This year has been a bust, but believe me, there is always a hurricane in Florida's future. It's just a matter of when and where. If they have to go for Orlando, they should go for the non-storm season, when it's cooler. The Midwest is really better for people to get to.

6. MightyMass

Jul 23, 2009
    I would agree, but you really have to go to Star Wars Weekends to get the full picture of why it isn't really up to par with a real convention. Most weekends it's a couple of games, a Star Wars dance-off (youtube it!) and two celebrity guests. They did panels this year, but I think that was more in response to Clone Wars Season II.

The concerns about Florida are valid though. I've lived here for 24 years, so I'm used to the wacky weather and heat. Still, I think August is pretty much in the clear as weather hazards go.

All we know is that there will be a presentation. Nothing official so far.

Love,
    Matt

7. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    Well, if it is in Orlando, its a good excuse to stop over at Universal to check out the Harry Potter park. That and two words: Porkins, speedo. :p

8. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    That will be a big economic disaster for CV if a hurricane comes the day of the convention.

9. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    A hurricane would really ruin the convention. :(

10. Grand Admiral Strife

Jun 21, 2001
    And an earthquake would have hurt C IV. Why worry about things out of any person's control?

11. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Because we can! :p

12. JEDI-KNIGHT-JAY

JEDI-KNIGHT-JAY Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2003
    aint that a little early for hurricanes?

13. Grand Admiral Strife

Jun 21, 2001
    Hardly. Hurricane season is June 1st to December 1st. I remember back in 04 when Florida got hit by 4 hurricanes in September alone. :p

14. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Actually, the first hurricane, Charlie was in August with Francis in early September and Ivan and Jeanne after that. August is when the hurricanes start to crank up, though this year has thankfully been very quiet.

15. JEDI-KNIGHT-JAY

JEDI-KNIGHT-JAY Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2003
    Well for one to affect C5, would it need to hit around May and wouldn't that be early for hurricanes?

16. mercsailor

mercsailor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    If CV is in May, sure.. But according to the the article, the dates that Orlando is bidding for are Aug 12 - Aug 15.

I think it's odd that they're asking for those dates in 2014, too.. why late summer?

17. MightyMass

Jul 23, 2009
    No new updates this week. Kind of weird. We were getting little slip-ups of news here and there for about a month.

Last we heard there was a presentation in Orlando. I'm wondering how that went over. That was this week right?

Love,
    Matt

18. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Please help! I posted a while back that I received an email from a GenCon rep., that they were not running the convention this time. Does anyone know who will be? Can I email Steve Sansweet from anywhere on SW.com? In the event Orlando is chosen, my company wants to partner with them for one some of the events...

19. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Wait for the official announcement, mrsvos, then you'll be able to contact someone, I'm sure. At this point a site needs to be selected first, don't you agree?

20. MightyMass

Jul 23, 2009
    What do we know so far:

1. CV will be held in the summer of 2010.

2. A logo has allegedly been created. It looks official anyhow.

3. Orlando has apparently made a presentation.

4. CV will be on the east coast.

5. We still have no set date, location, cost, or any actual details otherwise.

Anyone have anything else that not listed here?

Less relevent (but good no less) information:

- An announcement was rumoured for the end of the Summer, 2009. Obviously we are well past that date, so all we know right now is an announcement is coming soon.

- Hasbro's CV diorama contest is now closed.

- Ray Park is awesome on Heroes, but has the worst super speed effect since the The Flash (1990). It had to be said.

Love,
    Matt

21. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006

As much as I REALLY REALLY want CV to be in Florida, August will be STINKING HOT there for costumes.

LA was very far for us but the weather was perfect!!
    Although, hoping it is on the East Coast

22. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999

Actually, I believe the location was mentioned as being "east of the Mississippi". The lawyers still need to sign and confirm final details, and hopefully they'll announce it on sw.com by November (at the very latest).

As for The Flash, I liked that show, and I think it was ahead of its time back in 1990. It came out right after The Abyss, and right before T2. For one, it gave us Mark Hamill as the Trickster, a foreshadowing of his turn as the Joker a few years later.

Me with John Wesley Shipp, aka The Flash:

[image=http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/JedHead1/MattwithJohn.jpg]

Love,
    Matt

;)

OK, now back to our topic....

23. MightyMass

Jul 23, 2009
    No rip on the Flash here! That show and Superboy got me interested in Superheroes as a boy. Super speed effects haven't changed since though. Kind of depressing for our favorite Zabrak.

On topic though: I thought Sansweet said 'east of Chicago' or 'on the right-side of the country' or something to that effect.

I just have to say that I really hope the official announcements happens at fan days. That way I'll stop checking TF.N and Starwars.com every ten minutes.

Love,
    Matt

24. SandtrooperScout

SandtrooperScout Jedi Youngling

Dec 13, 2007
    I think the quote was somewhere "between Chicago and the East Coast."

25. CJBOOK520

CJBOOK520 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2009
    Seriously? Still no updates about C5? Come on, people

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.