main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Only makes me bitter for the lack of Watch Dogs.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The chatroom is just slightly more racist than youtube.

5. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Holy orders!

Pilgrimages!

300+ new events!

Event-driven crusades!

Rebalanced combat!

New traits!

Revised heresies!

Female priests!

Jewish mechanics!

November 18!

Even larger next expansion!

Ulicus likes this.
  6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

But... Pirates :D

7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    But my car isn't broken?

8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Yeah Paradox players can be pretty bad in that regard. I chalk it up to refighting history and the religious wars that came out of Medieval history.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Anyway, aside from non-rando popes, my favorite feature is probably heresies being able to become mainstream. That's awesome. Finally gives people a reason to play as them aside from the free CB.

Also they better include Persian hats in this one.

Ulicus likes this.
  10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    But... new IP and insanely interesting premise! :(

And huh, Paradox players racist? As a somewhat filthy casual Crusader Kings II player, I guess I had this image that the games primary fanbase would be people naturally drawn to pipes, cozy arm chairs and very fine hats. Then again, I guess historically these kind of people do tend to be some of the more racist ones :p

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    A lot of them are European, and Europe has lately had... some issues with ultra-nationalism and the like. It's actually kind of scary because you'd expect those racist types to be the European equivalent of rednecks, but here they are, at least somewhat conversant with history and the like, talking about how Italians are as white as driven snow and how teh Islams are coming to take their freedoms or something.

I guess I had this image that the games primary fanbase would be people naturally drawn to pipes, cozy arm chairs and very fine hats

No, that's just me. Minus the pipes, smoking is awful.

Then again, I guess historically these kind of people do tend to be some of the more racist ones :p

HEY! I am only racist against fish. AdmiralNick22

RC-1991 and instantdeath like this.
  12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Yeah but no pirates :p

Trust me, I have known some, they are. [face_plain]

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
  14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, a hefty chunk of the vocal Paradox fanbase disgusts me.

15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    So, I haven't had a chance to play Rome II yet, though I happened to take a look at the Metacritic user score: a 3.8. Now, at the risk of forming an opinion for a game that I haven't played, I have to do a reflexive "lolwut?" at that. So we're clear, as far as metacritic is concerned, Rome II is a worse game than Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing. It reminds me mostly of Mass Effect 3. Upon the release, the score was similarly abysmal (though they have since gone up quite a bit, presumably once tempers cooled). It's situations like this that make me laugh at the notion that broad spectrum user reviews tend to be more reliable than professional critics: while the latter are far, far from perfect, they are at least paid to at least attempt to review a product objectively, looking at the entire package and weighing pro's and cons accordingly. With metacritic scores, you get legions of people judging based on emotions and gut reactions, rather than attempting to judge how well made the product actually is.

Still, I am very curious: what has gamers so angry over Rome II? Is it due to glitches or gameplay problems that aren't likely to ever be fixed with updates?

16. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    There's a couple of factors. First, it is a bit buggy. More importantly, the fan community is looking at Rome 1 with massively Rose-tinted glasses and judging Rome 2 by those standards. It's a great game, otherwise I wouldn't currently have over 200 hours logged on it. Are there problems? Sure. There's historical accuracy issues, some AI issues, lack of unit diversity for certain factions, and various other complaints. But (and using the full 1-10 scale) I'd easily give it an 8.5 out of 10. The fan backlash over the game is just ridiculous and spiteful. It's reached the point where I just avoid the Total War forums; r/totalwar isn't massively better, although the atmosphere there is a bit more positive. The dev team is patching the game on a weekly basis, fixing a myriad of problems, they've released some DLC factions for free as an apology, they're constantly working on the game to improve it. Skyrim didn't get this much post-release support (yes, I'm still bitter over the lack of spears!).

Gorefiend likes this.
  17. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I take one day off and the company fires my boss and two of my co-workers:(. Survivor's guilt is a difficult thing to bear.

18. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Did you at least get a promotion?

CooperTFN and RC-1991 like this.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    LI, thinking like a crewmember of the Executor. Have a bit of a heart :p

The Loyal Imperial likes this.
  20. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    My PC is becoming overrun by Eevees from Wonder Trade. Soon I'll have an Eevee for each Eevolution. Got a Hawlucha from Wonder Trade, too, and a female Sneasel.

Still getting just crap, Jello? Catch some trading fodder and offer it up and you'll eventually get something decent.

21. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Wow...I never even heard of two of those groups they are adding in the DLC.

Sometimes I forget just how little I actually know about history, in spite of all my years studying it.

22. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Well, the Massagetae are mentioned in Herodotus, though it's best to take what he says about any non-Hellenic culture with a dollop of salt. Herodotus does mention that they were the ones who slew Cyrus the Great of the Achaemenid Empire in battle. The Roxolani I'm not familiar with at all, other than them being a steppe culture.

23. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    In January, but it's bittersweet. I miss my boss already:(

24. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I have a deep appreciation for history, but games lately, namely 0 A.D. and Total War (I have never actually played a Total War game, but all of this discussion about Rome II going back to before its release has been very informative), have been featuring a few obscure civilizations that I am unfamiliar with.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I know about the steppe nomads, but my knowledge of them is pretty razor thin. It mostly comes from internalizing Roman biases and prejudices about them, hah!

Trak: Haven't played the game for a while. I lost to the Champion and then sort of just got burnt out. Been doing a lot of reading lately instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.