main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Cafe Diem Baby: The Nintendo Wii U Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 14, 2011.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  2. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    It necessarily has to be an emulator, because they decided to have the Wii mode run on the Wii U chip-set and processor, which means the Wii U only has one system architecture, as opposed to the Wii, which reportedly had two separate chip-sets and CPUs in parallel in order to have GameCube functionality. That is, if I am remembering this correctly. I seem to recall reading an edition of the Iwata asks interviews that delved into this.

In the case of the PlayStation 3, I remember with certainty that the early models had a complete separate PS2 architecture under the shell to enable PS2 backwards compatibility, and that the reason this was soon abandoned was that it was deemed too costly and not worth it to include the PS2 hardware in them.

3. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I am loving the system. Assassin's Creed III (Join or Die edition) was the title I got at launch and I am impressed with the amount of content Ubisoft had included in the game. It is very cinematic and the controls reminds me a lil of Prince of Persia. The naval sections are so much fun! They could have built an entire game just around that.

You can lose several hours with friends on Nintendoland without realising it. Zelda Quest and Metroid Blast are the most popular ones and finally completed Area 10 of Donkey Kong Crash Course.

I've put a few hours into ZombiU and that is very atmospheric. Quite a number of times it makes not want to go proceed through an area because of the 'unknown'

I've picked up NSMBU and it feels like a hybrid of influences. There is quite a few nods to Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3. I've progressed to world 3 with 3 players and it is great working as a team but when one person acts up and doesn't listen, that's when it becomes chaos.

I haven't spent proper time with Epic Mickey: Power of Two yet but I love the art direction and the section I'm up to feels like it was taken straight out of Fantasia.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    What's your Nintendo ID?

5. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    My Nintendo ID is: C.Outrider

I have done the transfer of my content from the Wii to the Wii U without any hassle, the way they did the progress bar is pretty cute too. Also interesting to find that you don't need the sensor bar plugged into the Wii if it's plugged into the Wii U which saves having to swap the plugs out between the systems.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, that's right, the bar just needs to be powered for the wiimote to pick up the IR lights! Hmm, maybe I'll pack up the extra bar...

Haven't done the transfer yet, just because I want to really weigh my options in terms of losing GCN controllers for my games. Thankfully (kinda...) my Smash Bros data was already lost from a prior Wii crash so it's not a problem starting that over on just the Wii.. still. I'll need something to play GCN on, and the Wii has a thinner footprint than the GCN (though the GCN has the GBA adapter).

I have a feeling that, if they upgrade the Wii playback features (like VC on the Gamepad) I'll go ahead with it. But til then, I'm content to keep them side-by-side for now.

7. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    All the in-store Wii U demos I've seen have been little more than video demos, so I haven't had any chance to try this out. Is it all Nintendo hoped and dreamed for? Or is it as mediocre as industry magazines like GameInformer predicted it to be?

I am very curious how games like Assassin's Creed 3 play on it--and if there's a significant difference is visuals, content, and gameplay between the WiiU version and, say, the Xbox version. I am very curious about gameplay, actually.

8. Darklord07

Darklord07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    I have to say that I am loving my Wii U right now. I can't wait to really try out the TVii feature when my shows come back in January. I've been addicted to ZombiU, although I'm absolutely terrified of continuing. lol.

Also, AC3 seems to be pretty great so far. It's the one game I've invested the most time in so far, though I do think the controls are a little clunky. The ability to play completely on the gamepad though is godsend, and the visuals look great on the gamepad and wonderful on the big screen!

If anyone wants to add me, my NNID is ElusoryRogue. :)

9. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    How exactly will Wii TVii work? I hear it's a free service...but that it'll provide access to network television?

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's a hub for streaming, cable and DVR services- you have to have you own cable/Tivo/Hulu/Netflix subscriptions, but you'll be able to control them through the Wii U/Gamepad, which will integrate the social media features like the tweet-style commentary you can leave at specific places (to avoid spoilers) during playback (or live) for friends to view or the live sports score charts.

I'm loving the Gamepad and the system in general- it feels like what I wanted the Wii to become/be used for beyond the games. However, I don't think any game has really taken full advantage of the system yet. Once we get more AAA (or even AA) titles that take full advantage of the system's features as a standard design, I think it'll be incredible.

Been spending time on ZombiU the past couple days. The game is either unrelenting in it's punches or I'm terrible at it (or, quite likely, a combination of the two ;)).

I'm on Survivor #11 as of the acquisition of the Buckingham waypoint. Dying just as I reached the manhole shortcut escaping from the Market, leaving me with no supplies to confront the horde invading the safehouse was not my finest hour in gaming. ;)

Neither was dying in the lower safehouse after getting that Buckingham waypoint, then discovering the turret gun, trying that out to kill a zombie down below... only to be killed from the side by the zombie of my former self, once again denying me supply recovery. [face_beatup]

Still, really starting to get into it, and hopefully I'll get the hang of it eventually.

11. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I've asked this question elsewhere, but I suppose this is the best place: How do the visuals stack up against the 360 and PS3? Identical, superior, or slightly inferior?

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Right now it's about equal, depending on the game. Right now you have a lot of ports that aren't fully optimized for Wii U, so, for example, something like Mass Effect 3 has been said to have some slightly inferior moments/frame rates. On the other hand, IIRC, Batman AA had better graphics in some screenshot comparisons (or, at the very least, was superior in areas different than it's counterparts).

Once we start getting titles that have had longer development times and developers have had more time to make the machine purr, it should be generally superior in graphical quality. IIRC, the machine has a pretty large amount of memory for the GPU, which could be used to unburden the CPU, etc.

Rayman should look absolutely gorgeous, and NSMBU is certainly colorful as well. ZombiU is not top-of-the-line current gen, graphically, but it does it's job- and the overall visual design and atmosphere immerses you effectively.

Valyn likes this.
  13. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I am a bit beyond that section, inside Buckingham. Up to Survivor #7 for me.. my 6th died at that turret, a few metres from saving too!! I was just a fraction too slow with the bat. I do like that the survivors have different identities and occupations. Shame that my Brigadier General had died but my current one is a Dealer and I'm not sure how far he will fair.

The Rayman Legends demo that is available from the eShop leaves me wanting for more, especially the Castle Rocks stage.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Were we supposed to use the turret gun during the horde attack? 'm thinking I just missed out on that due to my unfortunate timing of death and the resulting staying-near-HQ-within-safehouse stance I took.

15. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    You could use it for that horde attack, there was a box or two of ammo for it and used the Gamepad screen to aim at them.

Have you had a chance to check out the multiplayer? I did it with a few friends. Survivor uses the Wii-mote or Pro Controller (Wii mote for me) while the other with the gamepad. Funny how the ones spectating it gloat before playing and then they get to play it, they don't last beyond the 3rd or 4th attack.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah the multiplayer is what I tried out first that first weekend. Though I got the impression the pro controller would be better for the Survivor- haven't tested that yet, as I only bought the controller more recently. I did see that the instruction manual recommends the pro controller for it, however.

Still, it's a lot of fun- the mix of RTS/FPS is quite excellent and something I was looking forward to from back when this game was still Killer Freaks From Outer Space. My only real complaint is that it's 2 player only...it would be sooo much more fun with 4 Survivors (or, if quad split screens wouldn't work so well, at least 2 Survivors). The Killing Box would be almost Left 4 Dead-ish with 4 Survivors (and would invite larger, more complex environments too) and Capture the Flag would challenge the Gamepad player's use of resources further (as well as permit a more complex tech tree for zombie upgrades).

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  18. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I guess it is more to do with your personal preference. I'm so used to the Wiimote for FPS elements (Metroid, GoldenEye, etc) that it's easy for me to do multiple head shots in rapid succession as the survivor with that control style. My friend on the other hand is not so good with the Wiimote and needed the Pro Controller. I do wish that you could have more survivors playing, that would have made it more fun. I did unlock a survival mode via Uplay but haven't had a chance to test it yet.

That comic rings true with some sections of the game. My current survivor looks like that plumber in the comic. There was a section that I swear was clear... even clear of bodies and yet within a second span, two were on top of me and I had to do some fancy foot and pistol work to get out of it.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm in the midst of Buckingham currently, somewhere in the early twenties as far as Survivor count goes. Just got the Viricide and expanded backpack.

Definitely threw more than a few bodies at making it to the gates, though. Thankfully I was able to enjoy the turret gun rush outside for a bit this time- though I ultimately failed after some controller confusion during a reload.

It was also a mistake relying on a M. Cocktail as I waited for infected to burst the computer room door open there, having never used one in the game prior, heh.

I've also lost a lot of firearms (including my first weapon upgrade) and ammo of unrecovered Survivors to those riot gear zombies, heh. Getting pinned between one of them and a spitter in the palace didn't end well...

20. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Sounds like you have progressed a bit further than I in Buckingham... those riot gear zombies are a pain though I think I'll just whack the helmet off and then pistol shoot the head next time I come up against them.... rather than do the 'cricket bat dance of death' to take it down. Sometimes you forget to remember to hit 'R' to do a quick 180 turn.

I thought that your upgraded pistol carries over to the next survivors? I hate losing the experience you build up though.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "Cricket bat dance of death" [face_laugh] that sums it up, doesn't it?

I'm not sure about the pistol upgrades, honestly- I didn't think to check but I don't think so, since it was tied specifically to that weapon. I'll double check.

Been playing NSMBU & NSMBW the last few days- trying to top out the latter's star coins as I wait for a friend to come over to progress in the former's campaign, while dabbling in the challenge modes of U as a hold me over... I think it took me almost 2 hours to beat Wold 9-1 and get all 3 star coins in that level. And figuring out that World 3's Ghost House's 3rd star coin was only accessible through a hidden exit drove me mad.

Still, progress has been steady- except for coins that require a special suit my inventory is out of (need the spinner suit or whatever you call it to top out World 2's star coins- well, that or do a two player bubble approach but i refuse to cheat like that- otherwise what is the point of getting every star coin?).

Back over in U, I've managed to get golds in every challenge I've taken on so far (granted, only a few time trials and coin challenges) except for one of the coin ones where you're surrounded by pipes and have to collect all the bricks-as-coins during a P-switch. Can't figure out how I'm supposed to get the upper corners yet. Probably just a jump move I'm not accustomed to using,

Of course, all this siwtching back and forth has made me seriously consider doing the Wii import- as it would also avoid having to resync controllers back and forth. Still, I don't think I could play Smash Bros on anything but a GCN controller.

22. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    It feels that way and not fun when the survivor has two left feet and stumble into the 'blighter'. There's a recent interview over at NWR with two of the creators of ZombiU. They talk about some of the multiplayer features that they had considered and here's an interesting note:

I wonder what they have planned with the dead survivors. I need to get back into that game and progress further.

Currently I have achieved 100% completion of Assassin's Creed III and just this morning Ubisoft have announced two DLC packs for the Wii U version available on the eShop. Hidden Secrets Pack has additional Single player missions/content and multiplayer. Battle Hardened is additional multiplayer maps, characters, bonuses, etc. I'll be getting that later this evening.

I do prefer the GCN controller design but the Classic Controller Pro is quite good but takes a bit to get used to it with SSBB. It probably be worth it in the end to do the transfer.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    After playing ZombiU for a bit a more, the upgrades do stick, thankfully. That goes for your scanner and backpack upgrades as well.

Right now I'm on the petrol mission, though once again i botched a major gameplay event prior to this mission by dying during the attempted evac sequence (a big action sequence that a lot of momentum was building to) just as it was resolving. Ah well. I have an AK-47 now, so thats all that really matters, hehe.

I've also downlaoded the UPlay app to start unlocking some of the extras in the game- I want that extra multiplayer mode you get for completing the game.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The final Operation Rainfall title, Pandora's Tower, will finally be coming to North America this spring.

The developers of ZombiU also did an interview, mentioning multiplayer modes and regrettable mechanics:

A more robust multiplayer mode was envisioned for ZombiU, but was scrapped in order to release on time alongside the Wii U.

Guillaume Brunier, producer of the game, says the team would have liked to have a tension filled co-op mode, but remarked that it was abandoned pretty early in development as the team "could not deliver it on time." Still, he hinted at what that mode might have been like, remarking that "in our most exciting dreams, we would like to create an online experience where players never quite know where they stand between co-op and player vs. player. Doubt is a great nest for tension and fear."

While talking about things that had to be left out, Brunier also shared his thoughts on some elements of the game that should have been left out. He stated, "there are also things that we should have left on the drawing board like the tapping gameplay to nail barricades or open manholes."

In other news, it seems that Club Nintendo accounts cannot be linked to Wii Shop purchases bought through a Wii U. So, if you plan on earning survey coins for games you've downloaded through the Wii VC or Wii Shop, you need to continue to purchase them on a Wii console, not the Wii mode of a Wii U.

eShop purchases on a Wii U are still fine with CN accounts, however.

25. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    It appears that Resident Evil: Revelations is not exclusive to the 3DS anymore. Expect the 'Unveiled Edition' to hit the Wii U and other systems in May.
    The teaser trailer and more info can be found over at NWR
    A feature on the 'making of...' is on the Official Nintendo Magazine site which mentions a little about what is new in the title.

The game on the 3DS is good, it is a blend of the old and new and does it quite well. For those that haven't played it, I guess this is your chance to experience it on a home console.