main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Cafe Diem Baby: The Nintendo Wii U Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 14, 2011.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Lots of news from this mornings Nintendo Direct: Wii U virtual console is launching soon with upgrades that allow for off-TV gamepad play (and correct aspect ratio presumably)- those that transferred Wii VC purchases will be able to upgrade to the new features for $1-1.50 ea.

Another system update will be provide faster load times for wii menu apps.

Browser-based access and a smartphone app for Miiverse is on the way as well.

Private community groups within Miiverse forums are coming as well (w Wii U Fit specifically mentioned).

Pikmin 3's Miiverse features will include being able to take photos from the POV of any Pikmin that can be shared on Miiverse.

Wind Waker HD is coming to Wii U this fall (though it has a slightly different art style with less cell shading).

The next 3D Mario and Mario kart will be playable at E3, as well as the first look at Smash Bros.

The new Yoshi game will be a 2D platformer in the style of Kirby's Epic Yarn with a dash of Yoshi's Story.

An RPG/strategy crossover between Fire Emblem and another series I'm unfamiliar with was also announced, as well as a new trailer for The Wonderful 101 (which is shaping up to be a hybrid of Pikmin and Viewtiful Joe).

2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Wouldn't it have made more sense to make the new Yoshi art style an updated, prettier, HD version of Yoshi's Island? Instead of lifting from Kirby's Epic Yarn? That one's got me scratching my head.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm wondering if they're looking to make the yarn/crafts look its own series: starts with Kirby, now we get Yoshi, next it'll be someone else.

This is the first console Yoshi game since Yoshi's Story, so it dies make sense to leverage some of that look (even if the yarn characters are Obviously from KEY's style).

4. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I'm excited about Yoshi, it's been too long since Yoshi's Island and I hope it will be a big improvement over Yoshi's Story.

The Fire Emblem cross over has me curious and Monolith Soft's new game looks like a continuation of Xenoblade Chronicles.

I do hope we do eventually get GCN games on the Virtual Console and an expanded library than what we had on the Wii. The news that GBA games will be available on the Wii U eShop virtual console makes me wonder if they will be upscaled or special work done to them so that they won't be all pixelated on the larger displays. Hmm... maybe they can only be played on the gamepad screen.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the GBA games will just function as if they were being played on the GCN's GBA Player attachment- though Gamepad playback makes a ton of sense too.

Other news about the VC upgrades: games will have save state features as well as customizable controller options.

6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Looking forward to the Wind Waker HD remake, never got around to the original, but have heard very good thing about that game (as well as about most Zelda games of course).

The Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei crossover came out of nowhere though. I'm only slightly familiar with SMT, mainly the Persona sub-series (Persona 3, 4, that kind of thing and a few others), never expected to see Fire Emblem cross over with that.

A really strong presentation, I was wondering what was next for Nintendo after most of the launch games have come and gone, but sounds like the next E3 is going to have plenty of big things in store.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think a lot of these announcements were brought out to help build confidence in the lineup following the various delays of titles out of the launch window.

8. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    WiiU sales disappointing for Nintendo

I imagine that some day in the near future, Nintendo will go the way of Sega and merely publish games for other big consoles. Though, of course, they might just stick to the handheld market and leave it at that.

9. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That article is laughable- it says right there that the Wii U sold 3 million versus the Wii's 3.2 million in the same time period. If 3.2 million was sell-out status, how is 3 million dissapointing? Especially since Nintendo has predicted, i believe, 5 million sold in the laugh window (Nov-Mar), which still has another month or so to go, plus Jan sales?

The fact that Wii U's are able to be found on the shelves isn't a result of lack-of-demand, but rather increased supply (Nintendo learned its lesson from the Wii shortages, and even skipped stand-alone Gamepads for now to increase the number available for pack-in with a system, etc).

And comparison to 360 or PS3 sales is ridiculous- they're far more active than the Wii and have a larger library available to them than the Wii U, and have tons of discount bundles around the holidays. Not to mention the established user base.

Now, software sales is another issue- but with no hold-over Zelda title to launch with, and NSMB2 cannibalizing some of NSMBU's audience, it makes complete sense that sales would be lower than the Wii's. ZombiU is only going to sell so much.

I don't think anyone would argue that the system lacks a killer app currently, so none of this is surprising.

However, Nintendo will not be going the way of Sega- they have a stable business platform with several key advantages going into the next year or two compared to the XB720 or PS4.

(and, really, if you're worried about anybody going the way of Sega, be very, very worried about Sony- if the PS4 is another PS3 debacle, there's a very real chance there will not be a PS5- the PS3 eliminated all profit from the PSX & PS2, the PSP underperformed, the Vita is 9likely) a failure, the Move is an afterthought, they can't rely on Sony's other divisions to support any loss-leading pricing this time around since Sony is something like $135 billion dollars in debt (which is why they recently sold their US HQ) which means the PS4 has to be profitable early on, they don't have a new video format like DVD or BD to give them early hardware sales as a cheap player when launch software is lacking AND they might not even launch until 2014)

Now, Nintendo's success over the next year or two isn't guaranteed, but nor is it's competitors. For the first time in an extremely long time (I'm thinking PSX/N64/DC era), we actually will have 3 competing systems that will be fairly different from one another, as opposed to the last two generations where all 3 systems were more or less the same, minus varying degrees of graphical capabilities.

-720 and PS4 will not be that much more graphically powerful over current systems. Wii U will be the least powerful, but seeing as it's slightly more powerful than current systems, the gap will be even smaller.

-720 can't be too much more powerful than the 360 because they want to avoid the PS3's pricing problems and they'll only be able to fit so much into the system and still be able to launch at a profitable (and consumer-acceptable) $399 pricepoint. This becomes even more of an issue if Kinect 2.0 hardware and BD player functionality will be integrated into it, as has been rumored.

-PS4 is, going by developer kit leaks (which could obviously change), going for high end power again (which is perplexing since that was what handicapped the PS3 for 3-4 years) which may force it to launch significantly higher than 720 (they wont do $599 again but they might have to do $499).

-PS4 may not be ready in time for a holiday 2013 launch- and, if it does, will likely encounter the pricepoint problem above. Sony may have to wait until a 2014 launch to be able to produce PS4 hardware at a cost that will allow them to hit an acceptable pricepoint. Obviously this is something we'll find out at E3.

-Both 720 and PS4 will only have launch-quality software if they come out this year. Some things developed while figuring out the hardware, others are ports of current-gen games with some spit and polish with maybe 1 AAA in there (so, basically, the line-up the Wii U had this year).

-Nintendo, on the other hand, is going to have second-gen software for it's hardware- people will have had time to figure out what the hardware can do better. And several of those titles will be AAA exclusives- not only Wind Waker HD but very likely the next 3D Mario (it's going to be playable at E3 alongside Mario Kart, so there's almost a certainty that one of them will be out for the holidays, even if the other is held back for March).

It's also going to have a pretty good library of exclusives by then: Rayman, Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, Pikmin, ZombiU, maybe that Xenoblade-looking RPG, etc.

-Beyond software, Nintendo's headstart will be able to do a pricedrop on the Wii U to compete against any competitor systems for the holidays. If the Deluxe is at $299 and Basic at $249, it'll be looking pretty good against a $399 and $499 system.

So, again, what will make this whole thing interesting is each system will have it's own strengths and weaknesses going into the next year and a half (based on what we know so far):

-Nintendo has advantages in software releases and hardware pricing, with the Gamepad being the main focus for advances in gameplay design. However it's hardware will be at a small disadvantage.
    -Microsoft will have a price advantage over Sony while focusing on grabbing some of the Wii's market by focusing on casual gaming with Kinect and SmartGlass, while trying to hold onto the hardcore market that they've been starting to lose to Sony.
    -Sony will be going for power and kind of keeping to what they've been doing (for better or worse).

Of course, E3 could change everything, depending on what is announced. Nintendo still has the secret Retro project up it's sleeve (with Smash Bros on the horizon). Sony could still surprise us and launch 2013. Microsoft might pull the carpet out from under everybody, etc.

Nobody145 and Corellian_Outrider like this.
  11. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    When have the words "Nintendo" and "advantages in software" ever been used in the same sentence since the days of the N64?

Nintendo has always been suffering from a lack of appealing software ever since the N64, IIRC. Now, I understand that their signature franchises sell well, but Nintendo still needs more than Zelda and Mario to keep it limping on in the console market.

12. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Sales, across the board, being lower is more likely due to the world was struggling with the GFC and the effects of that will still be felt in worst affected areas for years to come. Their priorities would be more concerned about income than gaming systems. The sales figures for the Wii U when compared to Wii (2006) is not reliable as they don't take into consideration of the GFC. In this month alone we saw the sale of THQ's assets, Atari has fallen into Chapter 11 and just now, Junction Point has unfortunately have been forced to close their doors. 3.06 million Wii U units sold in 2 and half months is pretty good. Nintendo has adjusted their sales forecast for the fiscal year but are expecting net profits at the end of it.

Lack of appealing software? That point of view is subjective.. what would you consider to be appealing software? If the voices of gamers are of any indication… we had Operation Rainfall that sought to bring Xenoblade Chronicles, Pandora's Tower and The Last Story out to the US for the Wii. Let's not forget that massive outcry relating to Bayonetta 2.. in which that game was never going to see the light of day if not for Platinum Games' partnership with Nintendo.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I agree that it has been a rarity as of late (though I'd say only since the GCN era- the N64 may have had a small degree of 3rd party losses (due to the lack of disc drive format) and been outsold by the PSX, but it's an extremely difficult proposition to suggest the N64 didn't have the superior catalog of it's generation).

(although it'd be easy to suggest Nintendo has had an advantage in exclusive titles, especially with the expansion of multiplatform releases over the past 10 years; although the argument would be tighter in certain circumstances).

Regardless, it is true: Nintendo will have a software advantage this coming holiday season, as odd as that may seem. However, that advantage will only be over the 720 and PS4. There'll still be late-gen releases for 360 and PS3 that will drive those platforms.

And while it's true that majority of notable titles will be Nintendo 1st party games, you have to remember that it is those games that drive Nintendo hardware sales. You can't click a link about the Wii U without several people saying they're not buying the system until a Zelda game comes out, or that they're waiting for Smash Bros or Metroid, etc.

It's just that this time around, there'll be a stronger 2nd/3rd party lineup fleshing things out (albeit it one that won't be as strong as the 360 and PS3, as Wii U development hasn't yet caught up to all 3rd party multiplatform release strategies yet).

And, keep in mind one of the reasons that Nintendo has scaled down it's sales expectations slightly is because several titles were delayed beyond the launch window (Rayman and Pikmin being the most notable), so with fewer titles to buy there's fewer titles to drive hardware sales. This all ties back to what their sales for the year will be like and why Nintendo still anticipates making a profit for the year, despite the scaled back projections for the past 2 months.

14. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Don't get me wrong. I used to be a Nintendo fanboy myself, but I find myself agreeing with magazines like GameInformer, in which the writers make statements saying that they love Nintendo but they hate the direction the company is going.

Nintendo continually underestimates how many consumers actually want all-in-one devices rather than dedicated gaming devices (one of the reasons why the Gamecube and the Wii couldn't pose a significant threat to the Xbox/PS2 and the 360/PS3). Microsoft and Sony realize that it's not just hardcore gamers that are buying their devices--it's families and couples, people that use these devices for multiple purposes. In my own household, my 360 is used for gaming, DVDs, online streaming, music, exercising, etc.

And while it's true that Wii TV might prove rather interesting, it's also true that the WiiU has no DVD/Blu-ray playback feature (IIRC?).

That all said, I do honestly hope that the Wii U succeeds. I had to convince my girl not to get me one for this past Christmas because I wasn't sure if it would just be sitting there collecting dust (like our Wii) or not. I wish that more stores had playable demos because I want to see if it's gimmicky like the Wii. I just can't bring myself to complete an actual Wii game without getting sick of the controls (looking at you, Skyward Sword).

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    My statements earlier weren't about fanboyism- I was just pointing out that the numbers are actually pretty decent and that the lower revisions make sense given software delays.

Additionally i was trying to point out the specific advantage Nintendo will have with its current strategy over its newer competitors (though it's still a risk given the x factors involved) as well as the financial strength Nintendo is in versus it's competitors (thus alleviating any concerns they might go the way of Sega).

As for the Wii U controller itself, it's not a gimmick. It's the same as any modern controller, with DS and GBA/GCN connectivity-like functionality. Combine the functionality/promise of those three and you can get a pretty clear mental image of how it can enhance game designs.

16. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Its arguable whether DVD/Blu-ray is needed these days with the big digital push (Apple for instance doesn't even bother with disc drives on most of their newer stuff). Its in line with Nintendo strategy for the last few generations of not going head-on against the competition. Instead of cutting edge graphics, they're going for decent hardware with different controls and good games. They jumped to high definition late, but the PS3's hardware hasn't helped out as much as Sony hoped. With the Wii at least it worked spectacularly, although it puttered out after several years, but those were certainly good years.

The PS3 and 360 (and their eventual successors) are already fighting it out as a home entertainment system, so Nintendo is going for something slightly different. Heck, the Gamepad is mainly the next step with what Nintendo tried to do with the GBA/GCN and DS/Wii. Sony tried with their PSPs and PS3s and even Microsoft has at least tinkered around with it I think (something about an Xbox app on tablets or something, haven't heard much about it for a while). Of course the difference is that the 3DS is taking off while the Vita's fate is uncertain.

Nintendo has been losing the "core" gamers as it were, since it lacks the yearly Call of Duty or whatever big shooter is in, but stuff like Bayonetta and some of the other third party stuff looks like it has a decent chance of appealing again. And while its nothing new, the core Nintendo franchises are always dependable to provide some support.

17. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Sure, but just how many times can people play as Link rescuing a helpless Zelda from the evil Ganon before thinking to themselves, "Haven't I already done this 650 times before?"

As for that Xbox app you referred, I believe you're talking about Xbox smartglass, which is--simply put--boss. It's an app that lets you access your Xbox Live profile from your Windows 8 PC/phone/tablet and it lets you control your Xbox from the app. It's pretty damn slick.

A friend of mine was actually showing it off on his new Windows 8 phone. He was tinkering with Netflix via smart glass, scrolling the Netflix playback timer backwards, then forwards, then switching to an entirely different program (keep in mind, all he was showing was the timer scroll, no actual streaming video content--which can be accessed via the Netflix app itself, of course). Anyway, right after this, his fiancee called him and told him to stop messing around with the Xbox. It was a pretty awesome laugh.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Smartglass does have some neat functionality- it actually seems like it'll be competing against Nintendo TVii and the mobile Miiverse app to some degree. Smartglass has more content functionality while Miiverse has the social networking side of things- though I wouldn't be surprised if TVii evolves to match Smartglass eventually, if it takes off.

The trick is I don't think Microsoft is really pushing Smartglass for that non-game content functionality, but rather trying to implement it as a second screen experience for games itself. So you can pull up background info/tech details of objects in a game, access bonus content, etc.

I think it could theoretically be used for controls as well, but the latency would likely make that an unlikely option for most games and I cant see many developers supporting it like that since they don't want to bank on their title requiring people to not only buy their game and own a $300 console, but also a $300 tablet (it'd basically be the GCN/GBA connection cable issue multiplied 3x over).

19. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Either way, as you stated, Smartglass is currently pretty awesome just the way it is.

20. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I've downloaded Trine 2 off the eShop (it has finally arrived on the Australian service at long last) and it's really good. There's a certain charm about the presentation, as though a retelling of a legend and the visuals and art direction is gorgeous. Off TV play is available and there is multiplayer but I haven't tried that yet, I'm still early in the game.

On a different note, Rayman Legends being delayed a week before it's supposed release date is a bit of a bugger. I was looking forward to getting that. I don't understand all of the negativity floating about regarding the Wii U. Some gaming media are calling it a failure because of it's 'lackluster' sales during it's launch period (It still is in its period)... when looking back at history, the Wii was the only console to surpass the Wii U with launch sales and Nintendo is well aware it wasn't going to match those numbers because of the nature of the system. When compared to the competition, it has done a better job than the PS3 and X360 had done when those systems first launched.

Edit: found a more indepth analysis here of the sales.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I fully intend Trine 2 to be my first digital download for the system. Probably get Zen Pinball too once the SW tables are available.

For now the extra wait til March for the Wii U Colonial Marines release will be a tough one.

The loss of Rayman and Ninja Gaiden as exclusives is unfortunate but I think that's just where the industry is going- very few platform exclusives by third parties.

Once Wii U development gets rolling further and the system sales spike by years end you'll probably see the Wii U releases become more common.

22. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    After spending some time with F-Zero Virtual Console title on the Wii U, I have to say that I cannot wait for the rest of the VC library to make the transition. It looks and sounds great, both on the tv and the gamepad. You can custom your controller buttons and have save points too.

For those that own the Deluxe model of the Wii U and are wondering how many points they had acquired from the eShop... you can log in with your Nintendo ID to this site to find out and allows you to redeem your points once you have accumulated enough.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Latest round of news from the past few days, as well as May 17th's Nintendo Direct and a recent Iwata Asks:

-A couple firmware updates have been posted over the past few weeks, including the one that decreases load times between apps.

-Rayman legends Challenge App is out.

-The Wii U version of the 3DS Resident Evil: Revelations is now out. I've heard really good things about this one- i may just have to pick that one up (I'll just get around to playing it sometime after that copy of the GCN RE4...)

-The Nintendo Basic set has been discounted at Target down to $239.99

-Game & Wario almost came preinstalled on Wii Us, but expanded beyond what they felt would be appropriate for a pack-in title.

-Nintendo will have all of it's E3 demos available to the public to play at 100 Best Buy locations around the country (which I absolutely love the notion of- between that, skipping the E3 panel show and the NDs, they truly are trying to render E3 (as it has become) irrelevant- or, at the very least, is trying to redefine E3 to what it needs to become: getting these games to the people. Now all they have to do is make the demos available for download shortly after E3 through the Shop and we'd be golden)

-Another Nintendo Direct, focusing on Wii U software, will air June 11th at 10 am, hours before E3 opens it's doors (this will probably be taking the place of their main conference show). It's confirmed that it will be showing us the next 3D Mario, Mario Kart and Smash Bros.

-One day after the Xbox One reveal, EA has suddenly reversed it's previous comment, stating that they do, in fact, have titles in development for Wii U (though not as many as for other platforms). [face_laugh]

-Call of Duty: Ghosts will get a Wii U release.

-Deadpool has been given a December 2013 Wii U release date by some retailers! [face_dancing]

-Pikmin 3 hits Aug 4th

-Sega has partnered with Nintendo to make the Wii U the exclusive home for Sonic for the next 3 games, starting with Sonic: Lost World. There'll also be a 2014 Sonic/Mario Olympics game (though it's not said if that counts as one of the 3 games).

[​IMG]

-Sega will also be bringing a number of Game Gear titles to the eShop.

-Super Luigi U will also be getting a retail release. Your can either DLC it for $19.99 June 20th or get a retail copy on Aug 25th for $29.99. I need that green box, so I'll bite the bullet on that purchase. :D Nabbit replaces Mario as the 4th player (he can't use power-ups but takes no damage from enemies)

[​IMG]

-The Wonderful 101 hits Sept 15th

-Watch Dogs hits Nov 19th

-The fall will bring us "Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON'T KNOW!"

-Dues Ex: Human Revolution: The Director's Cut will be hitting Wii U (with touchpad hacking, grenade throwbacks, interactive map editing and boss fight overhauls).

-Sniper Elite v2 will be hitting Wii U, trailer:

-Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Spies vs Mercs trailer:

-Duck Tales Remastered!!!!! (WOO- HOO!)

-Also on the horizon: Arkham Origins, Scribblenauts Unmasked, Assassins Creed IV,Disney infinity,

-ZombiU sequel in the works!!!

-The spiritual successor (effectively a sequel minus the specific IP rights) to the classic Eternal Darkness has been announced as a crowd funding project: DONATE AS THIS GAME MUST HAPPEN!!!!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Thought it might be useful to organize a list of notable upcoming games (not a comprehensive one with every title) before E3 hits us, to see where we stand now, and contrast it to where we'll stand then.

6/20: New Super Luigi U (digital) (Exclusive)
    6/23: Game & Wario (Exclusive)
    8/4: Pikmin 3 (Exclusive)
    8/20: Splinter Cell: Blacklist
    8/25: New Super Luigi U (retail) (Exclusive)

9/3: Rayman Legends
    9/15: The Wonderful 101 (3rd Party Exclusive)
    10/25: Batman: Arkham Origins
    Q3: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Reborn (Exclusive)
    Q3: LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
    Q3: Scribblenauts Unmasked (3rd Party Console Exclusive)

11/14: Call of Duty: Ghosts
    11/19: Watch Dogs
    Q4 2013: Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag
    Q4 2013: Deadpool

Announced (by year's end or maybe within a year):
    -Bayonetta 2 (3rd Party Exclusive)
    -Mario 3D (Exclusive)
    -Mart Kart U (Exclusive)
    -Unrevealed Retro Project (Exclusive)
    -Super Smash Bros 4 (Exclusive)
    -Tensei x Fire Emblem Crossover (Exclusive)
    -Xenoblade (Exclusive)
    -Yakuza 1 & 2 HD (3rd Party Exclusive Port)
    -Yarn Yoshi (Exclusive)
    -ZombiU 2 (3rd Party Exclusive)

I miss anything noteworthy?

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  25. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    The only others I can think of are the three Sonic games:
    Mario & Sonic Olympics
    Sonic: Lost World
    [Unknown Sonic Title - rumour that it is a Sonic Racer cross over with possibly Mario Kart or some other franchise???]

Apart from that, Retro's Unrevealed project seems to be a one of Nintendo's best kept secret for the past few years... and now roughly 10 days to go before we can finally learn more about it.