main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can anyone help with editing/converting AVCHD/.MTS?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Jaren_Valnor, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaren_Valnor

Jaren_Valnor Jedi Master star 2

Sep 19, 2004
    I recently shot a good deal of footage with my university's AVCHD camcorder for a film project. However, our entire fleet of Macs is down, and I only have Premiere 7.0, which does not support AVCHD/.MTS files. Does anyone know of a freeware video converter with good quality? I tried several freeware converters off of Google, including Handbrake, Prism, and the creatively named Free HD Converter, and while Handbrake's output was good, Premiere refused to accept the files. Can anyone help me with a freeware conversion program or something? I'd like to edit a quick trailer together by this weekend, and the Macs won't be up for 6 more days, so I wouldn't mind just converting to AVI and doing that in Premiere 7.0. Thanks!

2. ElectroFilms

ElectroFilms Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2007
    Must you absolutely edit in Premiere? I dumped that program back in '05ish and have no use for it. There is only a handful of files it will accept.

3. Jaren_Valnor

Sep 19, 2004
    Well, all I have access to is Nero, Premiere 7.0, and Windows Movie Maker...so Premiere's the best option, I think.

4. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Premiere has gotten pretty good in recent years and the integration with other Adobe projects can be a great help. Having said that I still edit on FCP out of habit though having checked out the new version I'm staying with 7 at least until Apple makes X more pro-friendly. Don't get me wrong, X has great potential but it's just not there yet.

As for free convertors, try Handbrake.

EDIT: Oops I just saw that you tried Handbrake. If worst comes to worst you could always transcode using VLC though the quality won't be great.

5. Jaren_Valnor

Sep 19, 2004
    What codec can I use in Handbrake to make the AVI files Premiere-friendly?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.