main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Canada's relationship with Britain

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Admiral_Thrawn60, Sep 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    Very interesting. So in your opinion do you think the people in the opposition that are in Quebec are treated unfairly?

2. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    Nope ;) Im from Quebec but thats just me, sometime frech is not represented well though . . . :(

3. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    LL, Quebec has more tourists, but tourism makes up a much larger percentage of BC's economy. You have to look at these things from all angles.

Personally, I think those separatist traitors are treated too fairly. Anyone who hates Canada that much should just leave.

4. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Kit what do you mean by not well represented? You mean by the Canadian government in general?

5. KitFist0

Nov 10, 2001
    Like french is an official language and in the rest of Canada doesn't always speak it that well :( and we don't get what we want sometimes . . .

6. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    like what does Quebec want that the rest of Canada doesn't?

7. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    English Canada may not be able to speak French well, but French Canada, with the exception of Montreal, cannot speak English well. In addition, everything in English Canada is bilingual. In Quebec, it is just French.

LL raises an interesting question. The Federal Government has made many concessions to Quebec. What are the outstanding demands?

8. KitFist0

Nov 10, 2001
    Stuff we didnt agree on some of the point in the Constitution and we will NEVER sign it.

I don;t remember off hand but there some equality issues and tiltles and such,

9. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    What are the outstanding demands?
    I am not sure, you tell me!

I am sure alot(the root of it) has to do with the fact that Britian still has ties(weak ones I know) to Canada. If I were French(or French ancestry in Quebec) I could see that as a problem. As we all know France and Britain had been rivals for over a thousand years. Sometimes the French had more power in the old days of the Monarchy in Europe. Of course vice versa, England was also more powerful than France at certain points. So to be part of a country that has two main totally different ancestrial pools of people, there are going to be alot of disagreements even with the Constitution.

Different cultures and countries have varying degrees of similarity in my opinion. I think France and England are sort of opposites in that arena. Just ask my French Family! ;)

So what do you think?

10. KitFist0

Nov 10, 2001
    Personally, I think those separatist traitors are treated too fairly. Anyone who hates Canada that much should just leave.

That is what we resent ! We are Canada ! With out us you are nothing.

11. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    As we all know France and Britain had been rivals for over a thousand years

No, France and England have been rivals for a long time.

12. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    "We are Canada ! With out us you are nothing."

I think you ment to say:
    "We are a "part" of Canada and should be treated as equals."
    and
    "Without us you are no longer whole."

You are not Canada, you are Canadian. And if Quebec does leave Canada would continue to be, just less.

13. Izird

Izird Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Very true, Chris, very true.

If Quebec were to separate, we would lose a lot of our heritage land. Plus, the border situation would be terrible! What about us poor Maritimers who want to travel to Ontario? We go through Quebec!

14. KitFist0

Nov 10, 2001
    Its not an equal partenership. But anyway it doesnt matter there are too many disadvantages to separation its not even an option any more. We just like to keep the rest of Canada on their toes ;)

edit: Sorry YJN, I meant what I said.

15. AT-ST_DRIVER

AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    The cultural differences are indeed at the root of the problem. Quebecers are different. There's no denying that. They are French, we are English. They are predominantly Catholic, and we are predominantly Protestant. Those two differences are the biggest.

Ummm... sure. Most Nova Scotianers are Roman Catholic. Also, everytime i've benn outside of the best province of Canada (Nova Scotia) i've noticed that most places are split between protestant and catholic religions. so i just felt like mentioning that. Also, New Brunswick is officially bilingual, meaning people speak french and english. Also, here in N.S. there are tons of french-speaking towns. so i wouldn't say "predominantly". It gives outsiders the wrong idea.

16. Izird

Izird Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Yeah, I was living in Lower Argyle, right outside Pubnico, NS, and there are a lot of french people there.

17. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    AT-ST driver: I was talking about the two demands that Quebec gave the rest of Canada way, way back, and that is that they be allowed to keep their language and religion.

18. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Well look who poped his l'il head up..Malksie!! Welcome to this thread, glad to have your company! 8-}

Kit I'll let you in on a secret... I really like Canada as a whole but I really LUVVV [face_love] Quebec!

Does anyone have an idea , percentage wise the breakdown of Catholic vs. Protestant in the entire country of Canada. Would you say there are more Protestants or Catholics?

You see in the USA I know there are more Protestants but as we know Protestants include many, many demnominations. The single largest denomination in the US is the Catholic church, and I think followed by Baptists. What about your Protestants in Canada, what is the largest Protestant denomination?

19. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Canadian population by religion, based on 1991 census

Values are as a percentage of the total population surveyed (26,994,045)

Catholic 45.7
    -Roman Catholic 45.2
    -Ukrainian Catholic 0.5
    Protestant 36.2
    -United Church 11.5
    -Anglican 8.1
    -Presbyterian 2.4
    -Lutheran 2.4
    -Baptist 2.5
    -Pentecostal 1.6
    -Other Protestant 7.9
    Islamic 0.9
    Buddhist 0.6
    Hindu 0.6
    Sikh 0.5
    Eastern Orthodox 1.4
    Jewish 1.2
    Para-Religious groups 0.1
    No religion 12.5

Source: Statistics Canada, Catalogue no. 93-319-XPB

20. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    So the Catholic Church is the largest single demonination. Thanks Admiral! You are so resourceful! :)

Not too many Baptists up in "them" parts. No snake handlers?? Just jokin' 8-}

21. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    Allow me to go back to the Governor General stuff for a moment. Having spent time in England I learned a bit about the monarchy. Just like here with the Governor General, it actually kind of works that way in England as well. The Queen also signs all the laws, but it's sort of just a ceremonial thing - if she were to refuse and become unreasonable and controlling, she would be supplanted.

22. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    So in other words you feel the Queen has no real power at all?

23. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    BREAKING NEWS:

The Queen Does Not Have Power!

Source: Some newspaper from the 1930s

It isn't exactly new news that the Queen has no political power. The purpose of this thread was to discern how much power the Governor General and the British parliament have over Canada.

24. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    [face_devil] spits fire @$^#@$#^$@^%

25. KitFist0

Nov 10, 2001
    What does that mean ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.