main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada CANADIAN TRIVIA

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Lady_Lucas, Sep 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    Ok, call me trivia crazy. I can't help it I love learning new things and some Canadian trivia would be fun! So I'll start, once you answer you can post the next question about Canada to the rest of us! Let's GOOO! :)

Ok, In land mass(size) Canada is the ____largest country in the world!

A. the largest
    B. 2nd
    C. 3rd
    D. 4th

2. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Way too easy. Every Canadian can tell you with pride that we're the second largest, after Russia.

Here's one that's a bit harder:

Canada was created on July 1, ______.

A. 1867
    B. 1868
    C. 1869
    D. 1870

____" AT60 "____, the self-proclaimed Canada expert.

3. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Well 1867 is when Canada gained control of its domestic affairs but it was 1931 when Canada gained full independence.

Alright Let's keep it rolling...

On the Canadian House of Commons in Ottawa there are designs cut in stone to represent each of the 10 Provinces representing their main industries.

I will name a few you name the rest..

Alberta: Cowboy and Horse
    British Columbia: Airplane
    Manitoba: Farmer with hayfork
    New Brunswick: A sailing ship
    Newfoundland: A lumberman and ax
    Nova Scotia: A sailor and anchors

Now what are the design symbols for
    Ontario:
    Quebec:
    Prince Edward Island:
    Saskatchewan:

4. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Darned if I know. That's too hard.

I can tell you Oosterhoff is the artist that did the designs, however.

____" AT60 "____

5. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Too easy then too hard, sheesh you are hard to please!! 8-}
    Good job on the artist part I didn't know that!

Here are the answers:

Now what are the design symbols for
    Ontario: miner
    Quebec: hydroelectric power turbine
    Prince Edward Island: fisherman
    Saskatchewan: farmer and tractor

Ok next...
    In Canadian Parliament there are ______members in the Senate and _____members in the House of Commons? (How many in each)

6. AT-ST_DRIVER

AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    youp icked stupid provinces. :p i could've told you about the sailor and anhcor thing, though. i'm nova Scotian ;) :)

7. Izird

Izird Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    I'm Nova Scotian for a while...New Brunswicker again in December.

8. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    There are 301 MPs. One for each of the 301 Ridings. I don't know how many senators we have, and I don't really care. Canada's Senate is nothing more than a bunch of retired politicians who don't want to give up their rediculously inflated paycheques, sitting in a room, debating things. They have as much influence when it comes down to making decisions as the Marijuana Party (ironic since they agree).

What important document did Trudeau bring home to Canada?

9. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Nova Scotia...quiet and Very beautiful! :)

Well The Senate and House of Commons are important and I will give you the answer since you don't know...
    House of Commons: 295 members
    Senate: 104 members

Actually there were a few different thins Trudeau did... one important document was the Constitution Act of 1982. This included the Canadian's Bill of Rights.

OK next....

In 1885 Louis Riel led a metis revolt in what Province?

10. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    You are wrong about the House of Commons. Trust me. Politics is my thing. It's 301. I'm positive. Your sources are badly out of date.

You didn't read the Trudeau question properly. I asked what he brought to Canada. The correct answer is our constitution. Moreover, it is not the "Bill of Rights". It is the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Manitoba. Too easy.

Next question:

What is the name of the only female to ever be Prime Minister of Canada, when was she elected, when did she leave office, and why did she leave?

11. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    I know that answer its too easy, so I'll let the rest of you skirm [face_devil]

12. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Wrong Again...correct answer Saskatchewan(not Manitoba)! Look it up!

And I was right about the # in your House of Commons and Senate, I checked to make sure...

Let's see female....
    Kim Campbell, became Prime Minister in 1993. Mulroney became Prime Minister in 1984. Mulroney resigned in 1993 and then Kim Campbell took office. The liberal party won however in 1993 and Chretian succeeded Campbell as Prime Minister. Too easy! ;)

Ok next:Since we are on Prime Minister's who were the Prime Minister's during these time periods?
    1873-1878?
    1926-1930?
    1948-1957?

13. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    You are wrong. I don't care what your sources are. History and politics are my thing. I am Canadian. You are not. I consider it to be highly offensive to be told I'm wrong about basic Canadian citizenship knowledge, especially by someone who is not Canadian.

The rebellions were also known as the Red River Rebellions. They took place in what is now the Winnipeg area. That area was originally the entire province of Manitoba. Reil was hung in Regina, Saskatchewan, but the rebellions took place where the Metis lived, and that is the Red River region of Manitoba. I am absolutely positive.

Also, I demand a link that says that there are only 195 Members of Parliament. Again, I consider it to be very insulting to be told I am wrong.

14. KitFist0

Nov 10, 2001
  15. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Kit provided proof about Riel. Now here's proof about the House of Commons

proof

Your numbers were correct... many years ago. Heck, another territory has been formed since then! As our population increases, so too does our number of Members of Parliament and Senators.

I refuse to play this game anymore on the grounds that the person asking the questions doesn't have a clue whether the answer I give is right or wrong. In addition to that, she is clearly getting answers from websites, and that is cheating.

16. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    Is it possible for you guys to post in the same forum without getting into a fight?

17. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    No fights here! :)

Calm down guys...I really want to have fun on this link not fights!
    Here's straight from the Link you posted...

Yes but it was in the year of 1885 that he ...." while teaching in Montana at a Jesuit mission, Riel was asked by a delegation from the community of Métis from the south branch of the Saskatchewan river to present their grievances to the Canadian government. Despite Riel's assistance, the federal government ignored Métis concerns. By March of 1885, Métis patience was exhausted and a provisional government was declared."
    So that specific revolt in that specific year was about the Saskatchewan people.
    (World Book Encyclopedia Inc. 1998)

So I was right!
    My sources come straigh from Encyclopedia's when I check. Not the internet.

I searched again and The Senate still has 105 Members that are appointed by the governer general. Kit you were right though the size of the House of Commons is now 301 seats. Sorry about that! So total Parliament..406.

OK next question!

In 1604 Sieur de Monts of France founded what colony?

18. KitFist0

Nov 10, 2001
    The Saskatchewan river goes through Manitoba ! Louis Riel revolts were for the Metis and the french not the Saskatchewan people !

19. AT-ST_DRIVER

Sep 1, 2001
    [singing] Why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends? [/singing]

20. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Ok I let's just be friends. I don't want to argue. Okie dokie? All questions will be 100%accurate! I promise!

Ok, In 1604 Sieur de Monts of France founded what colony?

21. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    No. I'm very sorry, but I have to make it clear here that the Red River Rebellion in 1885 took place in the Red River Settlement of the Metis, which is the site of modern day Winnipeg, Manitoba.

My source? Canadian history textbooks.

Kit is right about the Saskatchewan river. It does indeed flow into Manitoba. That is the only link between Saskatchewan and the revolts. In fact, the province of Saskatchewan didn't even exist in 1885.

I searched again and The Senate still has 105 Members that are appointed by the governer general. Kit you were right though the size of the House of Commons is now 301 seats. Sorry about that! So total Parliament..406.

The Senate is not part of Parliament. In addition, it was me who pointed out that there are 301 MPs. Not Kit, although I am sure he knew as well. I know this because all Canadians know there are 301 MPs, just as all Canadians know that the revolts were in Manitoba, so please don't argue with us on this. I am still very much insulted. You're acting like I don't know my own country.

22. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Admiral I wish not to argue.

So does anyone know, In 1604 Sieur de Monts of France founded what colony?

23. AT-ST_DRIVER

Sep 1, 2001
    Quebec. i should know, i made a movie about him. :). also, AT60 is definitely right about the red river rebellion.

My question: Who was man that led the Rebellion of 1837 in Upper Canada? (hint: i made an "award winning" movie about this)

EDIT: Wait a minute. i thought you said sieur Samuel de Champlain? not sieur de monts. i'm probably wrong in my answer then, huh?

24. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    AT-ST :)

Well you are close..Sieur de Monts of France founded Acadia. That was what the French called it. Now it is called Annapolis Royal in Nova Scotia.)

In upper Canada was it William Mackenzie and the lower rebellion by Louis J. Papineau, is that right?

Next question: The fear of what specifically help attract supporters for the Canadian confederation?

A. Quebec taking over Canada
    B. Sir Tupper wanting to be King
    C. The United States expanding into Canada
    D. Immigrants from Europe controlling Canada

25. AT-ST_DRIVER

Sep 1, 2001
    absolutely correct, lady_Lucas. i'm guessing the answer is either C or D, but since i can only pick one i'm gonna guess C.

C. The United States expanding into Canada

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.