main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Welcome to the brand new, sparkling clean social thread!

We have few guidelines here, but we ask you all to stick to them:

1. The TOS still apply in here, so remember to keep your language clean, avoid baiting and flaming, and generally just be the awesome board members we know you all are.
    2. This thread is not for talking about specific stories, whether they be yours or otherwise. If you need help with your fanfic, please refer to any one of our discussion threads, or PM one of the mods if you have a question about where you should be posting.
    3. This thread is also not for roleplaying- we've got some delightful RP forums for that purpose, and we heartily recommend them for your roleplaying needs. :)
    4. This thread is not a chat room- you should never feel the need to post twice in a row, and if the conversation is only between you and another person, consider stepping back so others can join the conversation.

Other than that, you all know to have fun, and enjoy socializing with each other. We loved the tone and flow of the social thread on the temp boards, so let's carry that momentum with us.

*cracks open a can of Mountain Dew* Now, to finish prepping these boards....

2. ZebulaNebula

ZebulaNebula Jedi Master star 5

Feb 10, 2005
    *Opens a massive container of cheese balls*

They said the new boards were gonna be awesome - and so far, so good. Glad they kept the old smileys. [face_dancing]

3. Valley_Lord

Valley_Lord Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2005
    Is there an archive somewhere in this site? the move caught me in between a dead comp and a new one.

4. ZebulaNebula

Feb 10, 2005
    That really sucks. Dunno if they have an archive, or even what you're looking for.

5. Valley_Lord

Valley_Lord Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2005
    Just trying to find my old fics and reload from the boards to my new comp.

6. ZebulaNebula

Feb 10, 2005
    Ahh. You might be able to search for 'em; dunno if that'll work.

Edit: It looks like a lot of the old content is currently AWOL.

7. ZebulaNebula

Feb 10, 2005
    Looks like everything's intact, but it'll take a few days for everything to be indexed.

8. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    The search really doesn't work. At least, not for me. You could try searching for your stories by selecting the tag of the forum that you post in. Example: The Saga. I think selecting any tag link will sort the threads. I'm finding this way is taking awhile though as mine are apparently still way back in the forum. :p

9. ZebulaNebula

Feb 10, 2005
    The admins know of the issue, and it should straighten itself out fairly soon - not everything's been indexed yet. And yes, I was over in Comms.

10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Search is completely screwed because of how gigantic the boards are. Really. So that'll take a while. But when it works, we've been promised cool things.

For now, every Star Wars fic can be manually located in the subforum here, and you can speed up your search using the filters. Not fast, but it'll work.

And yes, it was moved there. I moved it myself. It took a few hours. :p

Sara_Kenobi likes this.
  11. ZebulaNebula

Feb 10, 2005
    I was specifically quoted a few days to a week-ish; you can't expect overnight results with this much data. And manually locating a fic can be a royal pain in the ass. So, unless you need it fairly soon, I'd say just wait until the indexing catches up; and personally, I've been on hiatus so long that another six months would be a drop in the bucket.

12. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    By the Force, it's good to be back!

*goes around the thread making sure that there's everything that needs to be here*

Right, now if anyone needs me, I'll be writing in the pillow fort!

13. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    I almost don't believe we're back! Has it really been this long? Huzzah! I have fanfic to read and review again!

14. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    I've been gone for so long.............all my stories are probably uneditable until they fix the edit thing so i can unlock my threads. So what should i do then.....read and review fics and then post a rewrite of one of my fics or post the rewrite and then read and review....hmmm.

15. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Hi everyone! Cant believe they finally got it back! Nice to wake up to this surprise. Just a suggestion but I notice in my profile it still has links to all the replies Ive made can you search for your stories from there? Before the move I kept track of some old favs by visiting old pms ans my replies.

16. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Ok found stuff but I guess the URLs arent connected. Lazy has a conversion method under the resources, I guess that will be my next stop.

17. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Go here: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/looking-for-threads-but-you-only-have-the-pre-move-url.50003222/

To figure out how to learn how to find the threads that have yet to be indexed by the Search engine. Wayback Machine and Google will be your best friend for the next few days/weeks.

Anyway... Counting down to next Head to Keyboard... 5... 4...

head keyboard

Was so excited to finally get to read some of the fan fics I found on here through Wayback Machine and I find the posts are cropped. The horror! The frustration! It gives new meaning to Cliffhanger Suspense!

clutches heart

I can't take it!

Oh well... Guess I'll have to settle reposting my stories I started on the Temp Forum.

18. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    CmdrMitthrawnuruodo: don't panic! The admins are aware of the post cropping issue and there is good news! Not only are they working to fix it, it also turns out to be a minor display error so it means that the posts are there in their entirety! Nothing has been lost and you'll soon be able to go back and read the whole posts. :)

So, uh, yeah, all is not lost.

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Edit: sorry for the double post, I got an error so I tried posting again, then I got another error, and another, and didn't think it had posted at all. [face_blush]

20. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    The dreaded double post error is back! Oh noes!

Yeah I know about the cropping bug. Still... its frustrating. Its worse than waiting for the TCW season to start up again. :oops:

21. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Howdy hi and hello again! I've been popping around the board, back to the Temp, back to here and getting right lost at times. Am I now found?

22. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Hi, Valairy! Welcome back. :) I'm in the last stretch of writing the novel that I was working on when the boards when temporary. I should never have decided to write a fairy tale modern romance.

23. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Yes, we are there, writing and painting and publishing that between other duties like work, sleep, eat and donate for the 59th time half a litre of blood. Yup one to go and I am at 60 donations.

24. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Wow, so nice to see the boards back up again! And all shiny and new. I approve.

25. Harpalyce

Harpalyce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 19, 2010
    Praise [ insert deity of choice here ], the boards are back! I have sincerely missed this place!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.