main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Yeah, there's no way I'll be heading to Europe any time soon, as my meager finances simply do not measure up.

Though... I won't be spending Valentine's Day alone this year. I'll be babysitting my niece and nephews so their folks can go out that night. I wonder what I should ask for as payment... [face_mischief]

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    We only have one choice for flying international from Canada to Europe, which sucks. Unless we fly down to like Seattle and go from there, which may be more trouble than it's worth.

Trak, ask for chocolate for payment :D

TrakNar likes this.
  3. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    How about a flight to New York, and then to Europe from there?

4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I did it out using Delta and I wouldn't save any money. I figure with the exchange rate, it would actually cost the same. But I'm not exactly worried about the money. And I'm booking it through another friend's mom who is a travel agent, so if there's a deal, she'll find it.

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I got through a week in Dublin with food, lodging and such with just under a thousand.

LLL likes this.
  6. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Ish linked this on Facebook, and it reminded me of our discussion about accents a few weeks ago, so I thought I'd share. Fascinating stuff! http://accent.gmu.edu/index.php It's people from all over everywhere, reading the same paragraph in English.

LLL likes this.
  7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Interesting link. Though in my too many years of torture hell SPEECH THERAPY, I have read that paragraph too many times. My mother just got back from her trip to Newfoundland (far eastern Canada) where she was born and the Newfie accent is the best accent ever. I would post a youtube link but I can't find one without vulgar language, so search at your on discretion. Anyways, so before she would occasionally slip back into her accent, but now she does it all the time, so everytime she does, my siblings and I respond in the worst Newfie accent we can. It pisses her off because she also went through years of speech therapy to get rid of her accent.

8. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Hey, that's my college!

9. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    I had speech therapy for a lisp when I was in 3rd grade. Problem was, I could fix my 's' and 'th' pronunciations, it just didn't come naturally. So when the therapist had me read for him, I just took my time and did my best to speak properly.
    He, in turn, informed my teacher/parents that there was nothing wrong with me and didn't know why they thought I needed speech therapy. Chuckles. I just had to make myself stop doing it. I still lisp if I really get going and talk too fast.

10. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Hey, small world!

I hate Valentine's. Specifically, I hate not being able to take my antidepressant this week and getting sad over the jerk who led me on for six weeks last fall before I found out he's got a girlfriend he lives with. Men suck.

. . . I got new nail polish today?

ETA: My brother had problems with Rs when he was little. His name is Marc, and he'd pronounce it "Mawk". Took a while, but he got it straightened out.

11. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    New nail polish is awesome. I need to go back to painting my nails regularly, I've been getting bad about picking at them.
    My favorite color to date was called "showgirl chic." No kidding. It was sparkly and all sorts of fabulous.

12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Never had speech therapy, even though I had problems with th and s, and I still pronounce an s as a "ts" sound. I also have a rampant stutter and stammer, but I can usually curb it by taking my time and concentrating on how I pronounce my words.

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    My brother pronounced his L's as W's when he was young. So lake would be wake. On an related note, he would call an index finger a windex finger, which I always thought was hilarious.

I had speech therapy for my cerebral palsy. It did little good. However, two years of braces did wonders for my speech.

14. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    My nephew had trouble pronoucing the word Truck. The way he said it was amusing until he screams out FRUCK (with the 'R' not stressed as much) in the store when he goes by the Tonka toy section.

15. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    My book has reached #47 on the free Kindle best seller list for its category, and #199 overall! I'm celebrating by having Domino's.

LLL and Jedi_Lover like this.
  16. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I had speech therapy because I had hearing problems until surgery. Then I wasn't used to how I was supposed to speak. My mom claims I didn't stutter, but I remember people making fun of my stutter as early as 3rd grade and as late as 11th. My sister was the r-dropper. She was the one whose kindergarten teacher politely observed that we had chosen an...INTERESTING name for my new brother Weed. The rest of us thought Reed was a great name.

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh dear. I couldn't pronounce my sister's name - I still can't for that matter, or my brother's names because I cant pronounce J's and their names all start with Jo's - Jorgie, Jonah and Joshua (as to how I ended up the odd one out with Briann, I have no idea). Anyway, I guess when I tried to say Jorgie, it sounded like donkey (my speech was THAT bad) so that was her name for quite a few years.

So I went to the travel agency today and nothing is set is stone (she has to confirm that they have an assessable room available), but we will probably be staying in a freaking 5 star hotel literally down the street from Buckingham palace!! She suggested paying a bit more for a hotel more in the hub of the city to save on transportation and time, so we went for it and it really didn't cost that much more than the 4 star outside of the city. It is SOOO nice. If we are going to do this, we might as well do it right. Also, we are not traveling on Air Canada (THANK GOD). We will be flying on a smaller charter company. For their 'club' class (a step up from economy), it costs the same as economy with Air Canada, so we are pretty sure we are going to spend the extra $300 and fly in comfort.

Also. I'm finally getting an insulin pump!! It'll be here by the end of next week, then I have to attend a bunch of classes on how to use it.

18. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    *contemplates running away to Canada and joining Briannakin for vacation*

Briannakin likes this.
  19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I pronounce "horror" different than anyone else in my family. I pronounce it as "hore-rore," whereas everyone else pronounces it as "haw-rer." There are a few other pronunciation issues as well, like pronouncing "war" as "wore." "Car" is pronounced "cwuar," "tomorrow" is pronounced "tamarra," "window" sometimes ends up as "winda," etc. People sometimes have trouble understanding me over the phone if I don't enunciate.

Perhaps I should have had speech therapy...

20. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    When I was young we lived next door to a couple called the Smiths. None of us could pronounce it so we called them the Miffs. We still call them that, though it's more that it's how we know them and not pronunciation difficulties.

Briannakin: when are you in London? We could meet for coffee if you're not too busy.

21. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    So, Wednesday night, I ordered some stuff from this site. Yesterday, I get an e-mail telling me that every single item in my order is back ordered and won't be available for weeks, but if I want, I can request a refund. So, I request the refund.

This morning, I get an e-mail saying that my request has been denied because my order is packed and ready to ship.

I e-mailed customer service, asking for clarification on whether my order is actually available or not, given that the order status still says it's back ordered. So far, no response.

22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    What site did you order from?

23. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Some place called Tmart.com? I really should just not order stuff from China.

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Usually a good bet. :p I stick to Amazon and eBay, mainly.

25. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Yeah, I have a few websites I go to for things. Amazon is one of them, though I always make sure it's amazon that's selling it and not someone else selling it through amazon. The only time I buy from China is when I buy something on ebay that I want but I'm in no hurry to get. I got a 'One Ring' on ebay, but instead of the normal colour I got it in black with silver writing. It cost £3.50 with free P&P, so waiting a little bit is fine by me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.