main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Carrie bid farewell to Leia in an open letter.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Lando's Little Maneuver, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    In regards to roles, I also can't see Leia as a fully fledged Jedi. I think she'll still be in politics. Maybe even the Chancellor. Obviously her Jedi powers will be made apparent, but I don't think she will be a Jedi Knight. As for Solo, as someone said earlier, I can see him as a retired old pirate longing for one last adventure at Chewie's side in the Falcon. He'll almost certainly get his wish in Episode 7.

Crap, just thinking of all these possibilities really makes me hope to high heaven that the original characters are in it. I will truly be gutted if they're not. Obviously I will still be excited, but I won't lie, my excitement levels will probably be slashed in half.

HanSolo29 and Echo-07 like this.
  2. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Well it could work in the opposite direction. Lets say the movie was being made in 1985, and needed the geriatric version of the characters. It would have been fine then.

But it doesn't really work when the original actors are already age appropriate.

3. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I couldn't agree more.

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    It depends on where they go with the story. But, if the characters of Leia, Luke and Han are in it, then Fisher,Hammill, and Ford all have to be in it. No recasting. Just write the characters out then at that point. But recasting would be a huge mistake. Huge.

5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Recasting would be an absolute disaster, IMHO. The characters of Luke, Leia and Han were defined by the actors that played them in the OT.

6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I wonder how many Star Wars fans would go see the ST if the roles of Luke, Leia or Han were recast. It may be a good topic for a poll.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    If they were to recast Luke, Leia and Han I would go to see the film out of curiosity more than excitement and it just wouldn't be the same. I really don't think I could look past that and it would a huge distraction for me. It would definitely take away from my enjoyment even if it is a good movie because I would constantly think why are these imposters being called Luke, Leia, Han!

8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I wouldnt go see it. Yes, I'm serious. I would not. That's probably the only thing that would keep me from seeing it in theaters.

kataja likes this.
  9. Jimstarwarsfan

Jimstarwarsfan Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    I feel the same and even though it's my own feelings, i doubt i would even bother to see any of them. A re-cast to me ruin all this excitement, But we still don't have a clue whats gonna be, so thats comforting to me. Hamill would win me over big time even if there is no ford or fishca. Surey somr of the old cast have to be in there. But it's just my own opinion.

10. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    We cannot resist the tempation. We would all go and complain about it afterwords.

11. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    I agree. Could just as easily be a red herring.

12. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    Luke outright said in the film she would one day learn to use the Force like he has. That would involve training to be a Jedi, not spitting out Force sensitive babies from her crotch and calling it a day.

13. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Exactly. And why can't Leia be both Jedi Master and politician? They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

agentkrycek likes this.
  14. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    He said it in the context if he didn't return from facing Vader. Since he wasn't killed, the order of the Jedi falls on his shoulders; not on Leia's. If we are overanalyzing the conversation that is.

Perhaps she has some oracle like premonitions and the such, but probably nothing more than that.

15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Um, why?

16. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    For the fact that we largely never identify her with it, and it would seem rather strange and tacked on(which it actually was to begin with). Leia comes off as feisty and independent. Not all that solemn or portentous like Jedi. Especially if she is continuing a romantic relationship with a character like Han Solo. Probably not the best idea.

Perhaps it works for you, but it doesn't really work for me. I am sure there are also many people out there thinking that there is going to be a jedi academy as well from the EU stuff. I don't buy it.

17. Force_Wielder

Force_Wielder Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    What if this is Carrie Fisher's way of saying goodbye to the character because she knows Leia is going to die in the film. Carrie could be privy to that information. She could be in the film as Leia but bite the dust in the first flick...

18. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Of course it wasn't planned from the beginning that Leia would be a Jedi but TESB clearly establishes the plot point of another powerful Force user somewhere in the galaxy and in ROTJ it turns out that Leia is the other Yoda speaks about. I think you can argue that in TESB (even though it wasn't thought out yet) Leia shows Force sensitivity when she is able to hear Luke's plea for help (that's how I like to interpret the scene in hindsight anyway). Then in ROTJ Luke tells Leia that one day she will learn to use the Force as he has (he doesn't say that she will learn to use the Force if he doesn't return). I don't think it would feel strange or tacked on at all if Leia is a Jedi in the ST and I think that is clearly the path that the OT establishes for her. Also I think it would be a shame if Leia's sole purpose in the ST is to be a baby factory for the Jedi Order.

agentkrycek and DarthRelaxus like this.
  19. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    I don't understand her not being a Jedi makes her a baby factory for the order. Maybe she doesn't want to be a Jedi. Perhaps she started training and didn't have a calling. Maybe she doesn't want her kid to be a Jedi either. That is a point of drama. I mean, lets be honest, being a Jedi isn't all that great.

Maybe, she relents on her kid learning the force, because of some greater outside threat. I am just saying: I wouldn't be terribly surprised if she wasn't.

You do know that there was a scene in the script of Revenge of Sith, where it was established that Padme was force sensitive as well. Just because someone is sensitive to the force doesn't make them a Jedi. That is a personal choice.

Btw, he does say that if he doesn't return, that she last hope for the alliance. Watch the conversation again. That was the context of the conversation. Perhaps she gets more in tune with the force(which was I said the whole oracle angle), but a apart of a jedi order? nah..

20. I_Died_Once

I_Died_Once Jedi Master

Mar 14, 2005
    Well, call me crazy, but I gathered from Quigon Jin per his conversation with little Anakin and/or his mother that if he was born in the Republic that his jedi reflexes and tendencies would have been detected... Which wold lead me to believe that there are other potential Jedi being born every day. Leia would not really need to be a "baby jedi factory" as one in (state your number) kids are born with jedi capabilities and potential. Luke could just go around picking kids up from orphanages, baby wards, and kindergarten classes, which comes off as kinda creepy now that I type that out.

kataja and Echo-07 like this.
  21. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Which goes to the point maybe(and this could mirror Lucas's own life) that the Skywalker name doesn't pass to a blood relative(granted its doubtful). Perhaps Leia's child is the one who has the bloodline(which would now become Solo). But Luke adopts a kid and raises them as a Skywalker. Just an idea.

I also find it unintentionally hilarious that an elderly Luke would roam around like Willy Wonka asking for people's babies. Ahh the prequels, poor Lucas you didn't think this one through did you?

22. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I snorted out loud with laughter at this.....and since I'm getting over a cold it was not pretty.

23. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, now that was kind of sad to read...

Someone who was reprising their role of one of the most iconic characters in film history would not write a letter like this...

I was never Really completely convinced that the big three would actually be in episode VII anyway...so although I admit I am slightly disappointed, I am not surprised...

24. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    LOL It does read as kinda creeepy, but its how you phrased it. [face_laugh]

I think most fans presume that Leia is the one with kids because she is the one with the romance, when last we left our heroes. It seems plausible and highly likely that the romance ccontinued forth and produced a new generation for the BIG 3 to pass a torch to. Luke could probably have kids as well, but it just seems less of a "sure thing."

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I would never argue that it is not a personal choice for someone to become a Jedi (or stay a Jedi as the ones in the PT were taken at birth) but simply that if the ST shows Leia as a Jedi Master it would not feel strange as it is clear (to me at least) that the OT sets this up.

Also, while he does say that if he doesn't return she is the only hope for the alliance, he does not say that she will only be trained as a Jedi if he doesn't return (that would make no sense since there would be no one to train her) which was my point. Luke says that eventually she will learn to use the Force as he has. I can see her as hesitant at first to train but eventually I think she would accept becoming Luke's student. But we will just have to wait to find out for sure. My main point is that it would definitely not feel out of place for her to be a Jedi Master.

agentkrycek likes this.