main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Celebration V rumors by Steve Sansweet

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by pwinklespi, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    At WizardWorld Chicago this weekend, Sansweet said that: they need to choose a new partner for a Celebration ('cause GenCon is obviously out), they need to settle on the year (2009 or 10), they are looking at the Midwest again (or possibly the East Coast but he seemed more favorable to the Midwest), Chicago is a strong contender (other cities mentioned: Orlando, Minneapolis, Milwaukee--none of this indicates these cities WILL be a host, so don't get too excited), we will get a decision sometime in the Fall after CJ and SDCC and after they have had a chance to sit down and discuss all of this. So there you go.

...of course, he could be paying us lip service and they already have a good idea of what they are going to do :p

2. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006
    Wow.. LA again, huh? I'm confused though. Nov 08 or 09? I can't see them planning something that close... it's not nearly enough time to put something together right. It's got to be 09...right?

3. ShadaErsari

ShadaErsari Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2003
    I believe SWAN = Star Wars Action News...if I'm not mistaken. :)

Yeah, you could very well be right on that, actually...considering most of that information is sorta just a rehashing of what we've heard from them before. Or maybe - really - they have no freakin' clue what they're doing or where to go from here. lol

4. joesdomain

joesdomain Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2006
    I hope they don't choose Orlando or Minneapolis. If they can't get Indianapolis again in my opinion pick Louisville, KY, Cincinnati, OH, or St. Louis. MO. Chicago is ok but not my second choice has a city. Then again it isn't my call.

5. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Minneapolis is the armpit of the universe :p but I could deal with having C5 there. One flight, could probably get a good rate for any locals going as a group.

6. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Boy, a lot of speculation. As per usual LOL.

Maybe Steve'll have something to say at Comic-Con. I'm working for OfficialPix and Lucasfilm this time, and working the fan club breakfast, so if he slips anything in, I'll let y'all know :).

7. quigonjaf1961

quigonjaf1961 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2006
    If Sansweet doesnt get his finger out soon and announce a date he wont have the overseas fans that theyve had in past celebrations because the price of air fares is going up and many fans from overseas wont be able to afford to go soon,as usual Sansweet does not think of the fans from outside the US

8. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    This would only apply IMO if C5 was announced for the Spring of 2009. With less than a year to save, it might be tough for some fans (both overseas as well as here) to attend given the tight budget constraints these days.

But if C5 is announced for 2010, then that gives us all more than ample time to save up for the con. If almost 2 years is not enough time for fans (again, both overseas and here) to save up the necessary funds to make the trip, then maybe attending the con is not in the best interest of those unfortunate fans.

And your comment about Sansweet not thinking of the fans from outside the US is foolhardy. He pushed for CE and now is excited to attend C-Japan, with more international Celebrations slated to come in future years. Sansweet is definitely trying to accommodate the international fan with these actions.

9. quigonjaf1961

Apr 26, 2006
    Ido apologise for my remark this is paritailly frustration about the lack of news about C5,and the fact that there are some people on the Starwars.com boards that dont like overseas fans,its nice to feel accepted on this board.

10. quigonjaf1961

Apr 26, 2006
    Ido apologise for my remark this is paritailly frustration about the lack of news about C5,and the fact that there are some people on the Starwars.com boards that dont like overseas fans,its nice to feel accepted on this board.

11. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    I'm glad you feel that way! We've always tried to make everyone welcome on this board. Those of us who have followed the various Celebrations know how frustrating the "will they or won't they" mentality of releasing information can be. Heck, the way things are going, there might be a Celebration Europe again before a Celebration V :). If they want to wait until 2010, well, OK, but just announce the thing one way or the other, why doncha!

12. quigonjaf1961

Apr 26, 2006
    in other words why dont they just fess up!!! I think you could be right about CE2 it could come before C5,if Berlin is just a rumour where else do you think it could be held my bet is either Paris or Amsterdam ?

13. Amidala081499

Amidala081499 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2003
    I am curious here...

How many of you are going to try and get their hands on the R2D2 CJ exclusive? I want to be under peer pressure to buy one...lol.

Hugs!!!

14. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Ehh, not me. I'm not a fan of the clear "holographic" figures, especially when a certain character (like R2) never appears in any of the films as a hologram. So I'll be passing on trying to obtain this Celebration exclusive.

But I did nab a set of the Jedi-Con Shadow Troopers 2-pack from SWShop.com.

15. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Not me, either. It's Padme all the way, baby [face_laugh]. That means I don't have to worry about exclusives at Comic-Con or any kind of crush. My collecting has pretty much come to a crashing halt - except for the books and comics. I still keep up with all those.

16. Lufta Shif

Lufta Shif Jedi Master star 2

May 31, 2000
    [face_dancing] Yahoo! Great to see some rumors / news / announcements-of-announcement flying around this thread again! :D I was getting a little depressed since my Star Wars Weekends trip to Orlando is over, but now I have this thread to keep me going! Sweet!

17. Doctor_Evil

Doctor_Evil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2002
    Everybody said the same thing about Indy too (Before c2) and it was fine. In fact alot of people think it was better than fine.

The con center and surrounding area in Minneapolis is just tailor made for an event like this. It's a little bigger than Indy's Con Ctr. (Pre renovation) There are at least a dozen hotels within walking distance. (No car rental or Bus service needed for most folks) Most hotels are connected by an elaborate skywalk system to the Con Ctr. The whole district is the main Restaraunt, shopping and Entertainment district in downtown with dozens of Eateries and night spots in the area.

Once Indy get's their Con Ctr. renovation done in 2010 or whenever, I think celebration has to return at least once, but I think Minneapolis deserves a shot. I've had two close friends attend trade shows there in the last few years and they both raved and raved. So don't sell "Minnie-a-No-Place" short as a host. They might surprise alot of us, like Indy did.

Almost forgot. If you need a side distraction, the Mall of America is appearently a short bus ride away too.

18. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I was half joking - you see, for me to really go anywhere for free I had to go through MSP or Detroit, it's one of the hubs for my work. Going to NY? I have to stop in MSP. Going to Vegas? MSP, even from Seattle.

MOA is ok once... but it is still a Mall (granted a HUGE one, and the amusement park is pretty cool) and on the light rail it's only 10 -15 minutes away...

19. joesdomain

joesdomain Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2006
    I know they have set a completion date for Indiana Convention Center Expansion for November or December, 2010. The Convention Center Hotel will be done by January or Feb., 2011. Then again Indy is preparing to host the 2012 Super Bowl so it knows what it is doing when it comes to hosting large gatherings with Men's NCAA Final Fours, Indy 500, Allstate 400, and former U.S. Grand Prix (Only Formula One Race in U.S.). They just got done with the U.S. Diving Olympic Trials. I suspect Indy will get another chance to host a U.S. Star Wars Celebration if it isn't in 2009 or 2010 then maybe 2013 for 30th Anniversary of Return of the Jedi.

20. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Well, here is some concrete news at last:

Sansweet talks possible locations for C-V

No more L.A., which will make a lot of people happy -- I'm fine with it, actually. I'm one of those who will fly to wherever the convention is to be.

21. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Would have liked LA again, but I'm not fussed.

And counting down the seconds to another post from joe about information regarding Indy that a) we all could find off Google; and b) have heard already.

22. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Excellent article! Finally some real C5-related news!

I too am excited that LA is not being considered as a possible location. All of the locations listed are a 3 hour or less plane ride for me. But even if it was held in LA again, my wife and I would be there regardless.

Just give me a location and date, I will be there!

And I like the idea of LFL considering C5 to be a 4-day convention.

23. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    What is funny about that article is that two of the cities mentioned (Orlando and Baltimore) we were hearing as possible sites for C5 before we even left C4. So the story has never really changed, except for some other possibilities added and our wild speculation. :D I don't have much of a problem with any of those, although I would prefer Chicago because its the closest to me and I am very familiar with the Rosemont convention center (with going to the WizardWorld there every year)

I was thinking the longer we go without an announcement, the more likely that 2010 will be the time, but Celebration Japan was announced in February or thereabouts, wasn't it? Based on that and how CJ has come together, it appears there is a lot of time yet to make a 2009 date.

If this Lewis-Daniel group has done a good job and is working well with LFL, they would seem like a good bet to partner up with LFL for C5.

24. Doctor_Evil

Doctor_Evil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2002
    Well, on a personal level, Baltimore would be the least expensive for me in terms of travel, but I don't know how great it is as a host city. The Con Ctr seems smallish. Inner Harbor is cool and close as are lots of bars and eateries. Several Hotels are close as well but all are pretty expensive. Could be worse I suppose. I would not mind seeing any of the cites on that list.

25. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006
    Val, how are the comics? I was reading KOTOR for a while but just couldn't get into it. Legacy was pretty good but I didn't give it enough of a chance before stopping. And Rebellion just came out too sporadically. I have some back issues I should probably sell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.