main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Changes are coming...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Hey all!

I would like to thank everyone for their patience over the last couple of weeks and finally, after some careful discussion and planning, I have some exciting news to announce! Some of you may not have been aware, but there was a discussion over in the Communications forum about the future of Fan Art and the role it would take in the every changing culture of the boards. The thread can be found here.

I am pleased to announce that it has been decided that Fan Art will now be accepting all non-SW art! We will no longer be limiting ourselves to just the GFFA and since most of us already delve into other creative realms, it only seemed like a logical choice to open up that avenue to explore.

Alongside the non-SW artwork, all general discussion topics pertaining to any kind of art and techniques will be allowed. Have a topic you want to discuss? Feel free to start a thread - as long as it stays within the TOS.

If you have any questions concerning any of the changes, please feel free to ask! I will try to answer all of them to the best of my ability! :)

And to start us off, I want to ask something of all of you! Since we are opening up the forum to non-SW topics, I wanted to start a running list of fandoms/genres you would like to see represented. Each fandom or genre will have it's own designated thread to post the artwork. Every thread will have a running index and I will be seeking individuals to keep the index tidy, come up with challenges and other activities to keep things moving. If you are interested in one of these positions, please shoot me a PM.

So, let's have it - what fandoms would you like to see?

2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Sounds like a good idea.

I think Marvel and DC Comics threads would be good. Also Doctor Who has a pretty loyal following at the moment, I'm sure that could spark some creativity.

I would also like to see a Mythology based thread - I know lots of us are into Greek and Norse myths, as well as many others.

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Lord of the rings will be nice.

Star Trek and other series.

4. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I can think of a few and to save up on space maybe some can be grouped together.

Disney be a good one to have. Dreamworks or a general animated film section as another?

Lucas / Spielberg projects? Which could include Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, Tintin (comes out 2011), etc.

Lord of the Rings could fit under Tolkien if includes the Similarian, The Hobbit, etc. Narnia is also another strong series by C.S. Lewis.

There are the other major 'Star' franchises: Stargate, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, etc. Would it be a good idea to group them together as one thread?

Videogames could be another thread grouping first party and third party series/characters.

That's just a few ideas.

5. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing people's other art :)

6. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I am extremely excited for this! I love the art forum, and I can't wait to see even more pieces from the talented artists here! :D

7. Art_deWhill

Art_deWhill Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2010
    exciting news!!

well, lets see...
    Star Trek, Galactica, Stargate... or Scifi movies and series,
    Lord of the Rings or fantasy in common,
    Indy Jones, japanese Manga series...

a lot of topics needed ;)

8. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Maybe it would be best to have more general categories like Fantasy/Sci-Fi, Cartoons/Comics, Movies/TV Series. It could be less cluttered that way.

9. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Good idea, x-cell!

:D

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    That's actually not a bad idea. I was thinking to maybe have a separate thread for the larger fandoms, but who dictates that a fandom is large enough? I do like this way better. Instead of separate threads, perhaps we can list the different fandoms in the indexes as the artwork comes in.

Thanks for the suggestion, XCell! :)

11. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    If I do various fandoms, I can have them all in one thread and it can be listed under all the different fandoms in the index - do I understand it right?

12. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Sorry for waiting so long for a response, but yes, that is correct.

The threads are coming! I've just ran into a snag with the board feature that doesn't allow regular users to edit a post created or edited by a mod, so I can't make the threads myself. The long wait is also due to a lack of interest in people to run the different threads and the indexes. It would be ideal to have those people create the threads and manage them on their own. So, if you are interested in running a thread, please post up here or send me a PM! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.