main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Anyone see the preview they had up on the OS? I loved that floaty mad scientist guy.

2. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000

Was anyone else creeped out by that guy?

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Frankly, I'm also kinda creeped out by that Mercenary Ace guy now too.:p

4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    .....I feel like I missed an important step here.

5. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Secret Weapons is the single worst bit of Star Wars ever made, ever, ever, ever.

Maybe Lucas should considering releasing it on a collection with the Holiday Special.

And I usually like the silly stuff. I loved Bombad Jedi, I liked Goldie, I even like parts of the Holiday Special, but this - this is terrible.

Its like it takes place in an alternate universe, what garbage.

GGrievous likes this.
  6. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I thought it was alright. It was a bit dull and I've never been a fan of slapstick, but it did a good job introducing the characters and drawing them together as a team for the upcoming episodes.

Just messing with ya.:p

(*takes 10 steps back from the creepy Parwan fan just to be safe*)

7. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Robimus TCW, you should retire now.

Robimus likes this.
  8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Given the history of SW, that is one bold claim. :p

9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I have never understood why people think there is no story in Halo, I only got to really play Halo in recent years, and I understand the story.
    I have been saying TCW is an alternate universe ever since I started discovering what it was doing.

10. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Halo actually has a very well crafted lore that spans not only the games, but numerous novels and side material that are surprisingly well written. There's already roughly around 15 books in addition to the games, they're all (more or less) canon with only a few contradictions, and the authors themselves now work closely with the development of the latest games. The backstory of the newest villain in 4 has actually been one that's been building up since Halo 3's release, with a trilogy of novels on the ancient forerunner race also explaining much of his personal history (aside from an odd bit where he is more or less cloned so he can exist in two places at the same time).

And I found the episode to be decent... certainly no worse than the padawan arc. Yes, a little bit light hearted, but I liked it far more than last season's droid adventures The second season 4 droid ep ranks up there for me as one of the show's very worst. This was nowhere near that level.

11. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Halo: The Fall of Reach verse Halo: Reach seems to be the only serious Halo continuity snarl, and I believe it is a side effect of Bungie not originally intending to show the Fall of Reach. I have been meaning to read the novels, at least the first six and the short story anthology Halo: Evolutions, since I finally got to really play Halo for myself in recent years.

I don't even want to comment on the happenings in TCW anymore, because I am heartbroken George Lucas can't let other people's stories stand the test of time.

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I know, I know, but playing Halo 1 back in the day just so badly bored me I could never get myself to care even the slightest for any of it, especially since it is one of those 2 or 3 million ego shooters franchises (I can’t stand ego shooters in general) that grow like mushrooms. Your character being a “genetic super soldier” TM is also one of the things that will turn me off any game quicker than anything else (playing Clone Commando only got me wishing there was a level where I got to play the Trandoshans :p) , them picking up Traviss as writer also didn’t help me want to get into it.

13. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    There is no hope for the CIS, atsromechs and a sprout just decimated one of their droid generals and a ton of his guards.

How they ever made a push towards Coruscant is beyond me.

An army of R2 units could easily win the war for the Republic.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  14. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Ah, I understand how Master Chief could seem like yet another super soldier.

Yeah, the way Traviss portrays ONI and Dr. Halsey really has me worried, which is the reason why I said I was only interest in at least the first six Halo novels for the time being.

15. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I love the Halo storyline (it's the only reason I even play the games, as I hate shooters).

While I'm one of the few who actually likes the RC books, I hated Traviss's refusal to have Gravemind talk in verse though. That was one of its creepiest things in the game, but in the book it just seemed like she couldn't be bothered to come up with any.

Anyway, back to Star Wars...
    To be fair to George, he can't leave his own work alone either, so I guess it's nothing personal, he just can't help it. :p

16. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Never liked the whole idea of "specialy bred soldiers" somehow, it also one of the main turnoffs in Warhammer 40k for me, as Space Marines are just simply annoying more often than not, especially since you have a whole faction of normal human conscript soldiers that are just gun fodder for them, whilst those guys should actually be the real heros of the story. ;)

17. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I like the Republic Commando series too, but I am not not particularly interested in any of her other work due to a combination of disdain for the general direction of the post-NJO and worry about whether I will like several things from the Kilo-Five Trilogy. No speaking in verse for the Gravemind, okay that is just wrong.
    That's the only reason the continued changes and pointless additions don't really surprise me that much anymore. Don't get me wrong, I was surprised by nonsense like Darth Maul's return and Mortis, but it is becoming quite clear that George Lucas simply has to have things his way, no matter if his way changes.

I am invested in how the universe was portrayed in the EU, but somehow LFL would have me believe that I shouldn't take the EU seriously. Sorry to disappoint LFL, but what exactly is the point in reading or watching something if you don't invest yourself in the universe?

18. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    I guess the blue TCW logo was a sign to "not take the episode seriously"

the good:
    -diminuitive species contributing to the galaxy and not just average sized ones
    -droids and droid rights activists in action
    -humor

the bad:
    -no Jedi in his right mind would let that pitdroid loose on separatists... bet they just wanted to get rid of him in the Temple
    -Jedi claimed the little troop leader was called out to be an expert and experienced by the Jedi yet later admits that he has neither experience nor any idea aside "reading maps and analysing battle strategy" so are the Jedi dumb or what? or did little one fool them into believing he is great
    -separatists let droids pass back to their ship to escape? sure.. their reasoning is clear, still it is more stupid than Grievous tactics

the ugly:
    -a droid fetishist mad Scientist... ouch, cool character design, but his attitude proofs he should get to see more real people instead of his droid harem with its funny modifications
    -the entire plot consisted mainly of droid humor and "lets turn left at the next corner" lacking a lot of well... stuff that is not filler
    -I still wait for the scene where little commander guy rides a miniature fighter down an exhaust port to the reactor core of a separatist superweapon

all in all average episode but enjoyable. more on the fun side and for kids though

19. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    PS: Am I the only one who know thinks that Skippy the Jedi droid was piloted by a force sensitive dwarf species?

20. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    This is either blasphemy or brilliant. Can't decide which.

R_Zion likes this.
  21. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Silly, pointless episode, but I didn't hate it as much as Robimus. It's more of a meh for me.
    • Blue logo? That's different. Wonder why...
    • Neyo!
    • Wait wait wait. Did that pit droid call himself a WAC? As in... LACWAC? He did. Huh.
    • Is that a new model CIS shuttle? It doesn't look like the standard Sheathipede-class.
    • I found the doggy paddling pit droid to be amusing. That is all.

22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Okay, I'm three minutes into the episode and this is already the greatest thing I've ever seen.

Edit, six minutes in: oh my god the pink astromech is named Cutie-Katie.

Edit, fifteen minutes in: the new droid generals' heads are freaky-looking.

Edit, twenty-six minutes in: doggy paddle!!

Edit, episode completed: yep, best thing ever. Though the sight of two astromechs carrying their wounded astromech comrade was surprisingly heartbreaking.

Summer Dreamer and CeiranHarmony like this.
  23. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I know why that DUM droid was called WAC-47. That droid was wacky.

As for the diminutive colonel, I know exactly what the droids were thinking when they learned the truth - "The Jedi sent a desk jockey who has no experience as our commanding officer? We're well and truly forked." Who did that guy bribe to get in command? And how did he convince the Jedi he was the one to be in command?

I was definitely creeped out by that Parwan scientist. That guy needs to get out of the lab or a psych exam.

24. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Skippy is the proper name for the Republic Commando in the upcoming episodes. He was Skippy way before he was 'Gregor'. He's no Jedi droid[face_not_talking]

25. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I demand a GIF of the doggy paddle. Don't let me down, internet.

Edit:

[​IMG]

There, that's better.