main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    His hair is a bird. Your argument is invalid.

Esg likes this.
  2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    My memory might be off on this one, but wasn't the entire quadrant permanently damaged? Malachor V is dead, but the others might have recovered. Or it might have just been Malachor V.

3. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    There's not really much info on which planets got devastated just prior to KotOR II, other than Katarr- though Kreia hints that Nihilus has been working his way through the area like a cosmic Pac-man. Though the planets in KotOR II are somewhat spread out- Malachor, Telos, Peragus and Korriban are in relative proximity, while Dantooine, Nar Shaddaa and Onderon are rather far afield.

Though it is notable that the hardest-hit planets in that game are all clustered together.

4. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009

5. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I'm pretty sure Malachor is Gascon's homeworld.

And I must disagree with Coop. The only interesting character in this episode was Borkus. Gregor was bland and stupid. He doesn't even see that the Republic has done the same thing to him that he is accusing Borkus of doing, only the Republic's version is way worse.

Gorefiend and Super_Battle_Droid like this.
  6. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    great episode, malachor was fun, but I liked Gregor and fat Sullustan. especially Gregors heroic end, even if Droids still are such bad shots!

7. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Oh, so that was Malachor they said, took me a bit to remember what they were referring too. At first I thought they were referencing Mustafar, or at least something starting with the letter M (no idea how well known Mustafar is, but its not like the show cares about logic like that).

Heh, WAC said there were millions of clones, wonder if that counts as starting up the numbers fight again :p , but then that droid is an idiot so I wouldn't quite take him as a reliable source.

Certainly a better episode than the last two, but that's not saying much. Also nice to see an actual clone again (and good voice acting, going from amnesiac to shooting clankers again), I've stopped paying that much attention to the series, but sure seems like its been a long time since we saw Rex even. When was the last time we saw Rex anyway? They started with the Maul episode, then yet another Ahsoka arc, then the young Jedi and lightsabers and now this, I think?

There's still one more episode left in this arc, unfortunately, right? And I was expecting Artoo to just zap that cook guy, but at least that magnet got used again, and maybe they were running low on power.

8. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I was hoping that the clone trooper would leave the planet with R2 and the others.

Also, as far as the Sullustian chef went, I was thinking he was going to be like Owen Lars from ANH. Both knew the truth about their wards - Luke's father being a Jedi turned Sith Lord/the chef being a clone trooper with amnesia. Both were focused on trying to encourage them to embrace the simple life - moisture farmer/dishwasher. The major difference btwn the two was that Owen was concerned for Luke. I thought the same about the chef until he indicated that he wanted to enslave the clone trooper.

9. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Literally nothing about this episode really makes sense.

There's a Republic cruiser hanging in space... yet their just blindly letting the droids run a mining camp and mining an explosive to destroy said cruiser. How did the droid mining camp even get there? How does the clone trooper get there and go unnoticed by the Republic cruiser as well? Especially if he's coming from some out-of-system and from a battle no-less.

The "see, your just a slave to a different person/entity" thing makes no sense either. What is in it for the chef to have him? He 1) does pay him, 2) he even subsidizes his rent because his pay doesn't fully cover it (Gregor said all of this in the episode). So what does Borkus get out of it? A worker that he pays above and beyond for? Does Gregor do anything else for him? The episode shows that Gregor has downtime after work and Borkus doesn't do anything with him (as far as this episode), so why does Borkus keep him, keep him in the dark, and go above and beyond for him, but then get mad at him, and basically tries to act like a slave-owner/feudal lord once he goes to leave?

Why not just hire one of the other random 40 people milling around for basically apparently no purpose.

The entire town/structure of this planet is so stupid and poorly conceived that it just makes the mind explode with how stupid TCW portrays planets, societies, systems, governments, institutions. They overlook so much of the small things of why people are people, and just expect people to look at an episode and think, "Well, yup, there's a city in the middle of the desert, and yup, there's an enemy base there. Done deal."

It's so infuriating.

10. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The cruiser was a part of a Separatist plot D-Squad has to stop next week.

11. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    => ???

12. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Sarrish

Apparently the battle referenced in this episode was featured in an earlier comic.

Cruisers aren't omniscient you know, and picking up a small group of battle droids or a single clone trooper is probably beyond the ability of a cruisers' sensors, if the command crew even bothered to check.

As for the mining camp, it is seems simple enough - this city was always a mining town, and the droids went in to take it over because the republic used it to resupply.

I get the impression that Borkus is lying about the rent thing. Given his behavior, I think it most likely that Borkus is actually paying Gregor far less than he would normally have to for someone of that position, and that he is counting on Gregor's amnesia and gratitude to keep him from finding out he is being under paid.

You expect them to give you the planet's history out of no where?

I see the place as the equivalent of a truck stop, with a bit of ghost mining town thrown in. Basically, just a place people pass through on their way to other places, some people who live there because they want isolation, and a minor operation mining that explosive material.

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yup! I thought that was an awesome detail. If Routine Valor wasn't intentionally written to establish the plot for this particular episode, this is by far one of the best uses of the EU we've seen to date.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  14. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Cool stuff from this episode:
    • Retro action figure Aqualish
    • "Conduit worm" reference. Appropriate, given the appearance of conduit worm eyestalks.
    • Malachor!
    • Cool cargo pods on the assault shuttle
    Disappointed that Gregor was able to take out Super Battle Droids in just a few blasts, though. Also, it was never really clear why the Venator was there, or why the Separatists were there in the first place. I suppose the next episode might clarify...

15. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Apparently, a lightsaber costs more than a used starship. Very interesting.

You ever play Republic Commando? :p

Seriously, those things would just. NOT. DIE!

For both, I imagine it is for the explosive stuff that was being mined. The Republic ship was probably there to stock up on supplies as well, and the local sep commander saw an opportunity to kill a cruiser without fighting.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  16. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Huh, interesting. According to the trivia gallery, Gregor's armor has a digital camo pattern.

This... this... this is amazing:

[​IMG]

Edit: My god, this episode has so many in-jokes.

17. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    So many great things in the Episode Guide:

1. Once again they acknowledge how awesome Republic Commando (the game) and Republic Commandos are, with Gregor described as "one-man army".
    2. Filoni pretty much admitted refusing to kill Gregor off, saying that "After Maul came back everything is fair game" and "I keep my promises" Yay!
    3. They acknowledge all the EU references in this episode: conduit worms, Malachor, Sarrish. Very nice.
    4. "Kowakian Monkey Island". "Admiral Snackbar". "Land O' Capes". All of that is canon. You hear that, Wookieepedia?

blackmyron and CeiranHarmony like this.
  18. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    The Malachor reference was nice and seeing a commando in action was just awesome beyond words. Almost felt like watching Republic Commando again... I mean with the HUD and the excellently placed explosive barrels to kill droids!

19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, I mostly agree.

Clone troopers, especially commandos, have a lot of potential as employees, but Borkus isn't mining any of that potential. At the very least a clone trooper is an excellent physical specimen capable of heavy manual labor, but anyone can wash dishes.

The thing about Gregor's rent was a classic method of enforcing slavery/indentured servitude. Just say the slave's expenses are more than their wages and they're in debt to you forever.

Yeah, I found myself starting to ask these questions as soon as the episode started....then I hit myself in the head with a hammer and kept watching.

When it comes to TCW, I've realized that I pretty much have to shut down that part of my brain. Five seasons of TCW has pummeled my thought process into submission.

20. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    from the episode guide...some new CANON fun etablissements!

so... Evazan's TCW whereabouts are now known ha! and guess where Ackbar once ate and got an idea :p

21. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Leia: We need to rescue Admiral Ackbar from Daluuj so he can join the Rebellion.
    Han: Oh yeah! Admiral Snackbar! The Hero Of Everyone Hungry!
    Leia: No, it's Ackbar.
    Han: Hopefully he didn't have too ruff in the kindergarten.

22. The Verbal Machinegun

The Verbal Machinegun Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2013
    Maybe he wanted to break his spirit first and he had something else in mind in the long run.

23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    And as Rocky (of Rocky and Bullwinkle) used to say, here's something you'll really enjoy. (Although some indirect anger generated by being reminded about what LucasArts used to be). New style, or one-off? Hopefully the former.

24. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Man, Ackbar's really into product placement!

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003