main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Sheesh. Since when is editing "retro-actively altering reality"? He's not asking us to forget what the thread title was at one point, or that the chocolate ration used to be half a pound, merely that it might serve to revise it. Considering all the clusterkriffery about positivity and not freaking out all the time that occured with dp's retirement as mod, I don't think it's an unreasonable request that the thread be named more diplomatically, even if it's not agreed with.

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    *considers*

I don't know, to that. Sure, it's an infringement of sorts to edit the title, but it generates hysteria even before you read the content. Some of us are pleased by it, or have managed to find some good from it - kudos to Trip and Zorrixor - but the title isn't constructive.

Nothing against provocative titles, to generate intrigue, but destructive versus constructive?

Which brings us all down to what we expect from the Mods and from each other, and from the community, generally...

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Sabs was being tongue in cheek anyway. As far as I can tell, she's pretty optimistic about The Clone Wars.

4. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    *cough*

Sinre: I was agreeing with you. I just managed to somehow edit the JM quote I was responding to out of the post...

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Okedokes. I'm with you now, Matt. And we all believe you. :p

And, Ulicus, never fear, I'm dying to see Ventress kick Obi-Wan's backside in this movie. Tyranus having a Secret Apprentice kicks canon up a notch in the coolness factor. Tyranus should be planning Sidious' downfall already! By LoE, when he chooses to side with Sidious, it's not out of character considering he's lost Ventress at Boz Pity and has Sora Bulq trapped at Saluecami...

6. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
  7. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Continuity with a Gun!

8. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Continuity fights back from the edge!

Canon goes BOOM!

Dutifully added. :p

9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I WARNED you -- -- now the TIMELINE demands RESHUFFLING!

10. Sikon

Sikon Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2006
    Not so fast, GEORGE -- let's not release anything we'll REGRET!

11. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Much better, this title.

Folks, I just realized something: the quality argument has been largely missing from this debate.

I have all the Clone Wars books and comics, I've read them all, and I still have no clue how they progressed. I really don't know! Up until now, to really understand it, you had to delve even deeper - yes, into timelines and guides. I don't know about you, but I've always felt that was a missed opportunity. Now, if the Clone Wars cartoon makes that stuff more cohesive, who can be against that? If the Clone Wars become BETTER, who can be against that? Was Jedi Trial that good?

Sure, you might complain that they should come out and admit it, and they should, but what's more important? I care more about good product than about staffers' admissions.

Also... This new code of conduct... Doesn't it suggest not to criticize something you haven't seen yet?

12. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Fair point, but we're basing our comments in part on the Databank, not the actual movie, here. Arguably.

13. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    You could be right, Watto.

It could be SIGNIFICANTLY more cohesive.

but.

as you said...those guides and timelines.

extensive work has been done to get the previous stuff to work in cohesion...both by fans and people on LFL payroll.

Is it not good enough?

I sympathize with anyone who has bought the recent essentials...you get used to the idea of them being outdated..but within a year or 2?

So...is it making it better, or easier to follow? or both? Will those previous efforts be "updated"?

We could be blown away by what's to come...but does that mean nothing matters if they take a shot on improvement? Nothing is ever as good as what a new story can do?

It's "special edition" logic for the EU.

14. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I'd sympathize if this was news, but it's always been the canon policy, so the fact that this is perhaps the largest, most egregious use of it doesn't change anything.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    As opposed to Obi-Wan, who goes from being a Knight to being a Master with an apprentice in the span on 5 seconds? ;)

Oh, yes. That's exactly what we need- timeline revisions married to the numbers debate. Are you trying to destroy the fabric of space and time? :p

16. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    I'm a little late to this thread...what articles in the databank should I check out?

17. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Little Ani.

18. Bly

Mar 28, 2005
    Alright, thanks. I'll be back with my thoughts.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Mostly Anakin, though Ventress and a couple others also got updated, it's the Anakin one causing the msot trouble.

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    [face_laugh] If only Ratner had done this in comics - no one have cared for comic fans are used to being treated with contempt by the big companies but still buy the product - see OMD and Countdown - SW fans are similar, therefore this predicted collapse is unlikely to happen....

Yet...

Maybe....

Yes, it could lead to a backlash but I don't think it would be of sufficient financial severity to force a re-think.

21. Bly

Mar 28, 2005
    OK...All I can really think of to say is simply crap. There's probably a way to fix this, but I'll damned if I can find out what. I'd also like to extend my most heartfelt sympathies to Abel and Dan right around now. Good luck.

On a somewhat more trivial note:
    *Whose genius idea was to give Cody's unit the name of Ghost Squadron? I mean, come on. Ghost Squadron?8-}
    *Why's Rex's reference number start with CC if he's not a commander? Or is this a throwback to the Shatterpoint system where Captains had the CC, and Commanders were CRC or the like?
    *That new picture on Cody's page is awesome.[face_cowboy]

22. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Squadron. :cool:

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd say this thread is more concerned with the impact of product rather than the quality of it. The central point is around how much thought has gone into the handling of the impacts and the wider meaning for the SW EU as a whole.

24. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Still, without the whole story or any word on their plan for dealing with it...

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    ...We've no thread? Surely you know the internet's infinite capacity for Seinfeldian conversation? ;)