main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena NCAA Baseball/Softball

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue...Jedi, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    ...for any of the few of us that actually follow it :p

I'd start off by posting the preseason rankings, but there are at least a half dozen different ones I've seen. South Carolina is anywhere from 3rd to 6th in the ones I've seen, Rice is #1, and Clemson was #2 in at least one and way up there in the others as well.

South Carolina started the season yesterday by beating Oklahoma 13-2, and followed it up with a 10-0 victory over Western Carolina today. Freshman Lonnie Chisenhall, in 10 plate appearances in his college career, is 5-8 with a single, a double, two triples, a homer, two sacrifice flies, and six RBI. Not a bad start to his career.

Actually, I thought this thread had been made previously, but I definitely couldn't find it if so and I think I might have been thinking of a PM rather than a thread, but if anyone finds an older thread for this, thanks much :)

2. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I don't know much about college baseball, but half th Aggie team is in the class that I TA for. :D

3. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Its basically the same as pro baseball except for aluminum bats (which translate into more scoring, generally).

I think the only people who actually follow it are those who go to the schools that dominate the sport, such as Texas, South Carolina, Clemson, Rice, LSU, Cal State Fullerton, and a handful of others.

My roommate picked up the EA Sports College Baseball game... which they obviously did absolutely no research on, roster wise. Carolina's roster didn't even remotely resemble our team, prompting him to spend a good while fixing our roster.

4. RealMadrid

RealMadrid Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 28, 2005
    I went to a school that got hosed out of participating in the college baseball 64-team playoffs over the past few years. Cal Poly. We play in the Big West against such powerhouses as Cal State Fullerton and Long Beach St. Still we held our own and finished 3rd with a decent non-conference record and even on the selection shows the past couple of years, college baseball analysts have said that Cal Poly has been unfairly left out of the playoffs.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I try to watch, I really do. But, there are two disconnects that keep me from really enjoying it.

1) The sound of the ping. Just doesn't sound like real baseball. Aluminum bats belong in rec league softball.

2) The minor league system keeps "top name" college stars from being immediate impact guys on the major league level. I follow minor league baseball a whole lot closer than college baseball, simply because the guys in that pipeline are a lot closer to impacting the major league scene.

Still, the CWS is fun to follow every year, I'll give them that.

6. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Clemson starts on Febuary 16th against George Mason. We are ranked #3. Rogue, is that College Baseball video game worth getting?

7. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002
    JMU Baseball

* Ranked 79th nationally and fourth in the CAA by Perfect Game Crosschecker.
    * Predicted fifth in the CAA by Baseball America and Collegiate Baseball.
    * Picked fourth in the CAA by SEBaseball.com and tapped as third-best offense in CAA.

Start the 17th at home against Fordham, although I'm not sure how thats going to happen, going to be snow on the field. Snow game!

8. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Snow game... that should be interesting o_O

Rogue, is that College Baseball video game worth getting?

If you have last years' game, don't bother (though that one actually has the rosters from TWO years ago, the 2005 season, for some reason) because theres really not much different at all, and they didn't do any actual research on rosters, at least not for SC, and I'm thinking if they didn't bother with SC, then they probably didn't bother for pretty much anyone. Gameplay looks to be very very similar, with the sole exception of the pitching style (some new method that I haven't tried yet). If you didn't get last years game, though, it might be worth it, because overall its not bad. I'll be able to say more after I've actually played it as opposed to watch my roommate play :p

9. Art_Core

Art_Core Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 18, 2000
    And JMU has OF Kellen Kulbacki, Baseball America First-team All-American. He led the NCAA in homers last season, but 17 of the 24 came at home.

10. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    I don't have 2005. How many schools are in the game and how many conferences?

11. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    I'm prepared for another embarassing season for Gator baseball. After our National Title run in 2005, things have been downhill. We lost our opening series to VMI (who???), but the bright spot is that we spanked them 7-0 today. SEC baseball should be great this year!

12. JediANGELA

Sep 28, 2002

That we do, I actually have him in one of my classes. He sits in front of me in my Anthropology class

13. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    LSU has a new coach this year, Paul Mainieri (former Notre Dame coach). We swept St. Mary's in our first series this past weekend. But for the first time in years, LSU is not ranked in the polls.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Carolina took a 8-3 lead into the bottom of the 7th Sunday against UNC Wilmington behind the strength of Trent Kline's 3rd inning grand slam before leting them back in it and eventually winning 9-8 in 11 innings.

So Carolna improves to 3-0 on the season.

rech, I'll get back to you on the baseball game, after I've actually had a chance to play it myself.

15. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    here's the top 3 in the Baseball America poll

1. Clemson
    2. North Carolina
    3. South Carolina

16. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    When does Clemson start, rech? This week or next?

17. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Clemson starts this Friday for a three game series with George Mason.

18. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    At home, I assume?

Carolina doesn't open at home until next week, with another round robin tourney in Charleston this weekend. Still, I should be there for the home opener.

19. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    it's at home. It should be packed. Last season it was packed almost for every game. Preseason #1 will definatley fill the seats

20. JediANGELA

Sep 28, 2002
    JMU's opener this weekend it going to be interesting. Instead of a snow bowl, we're going to have an ice bowl.

21. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    If you go, take pictures, I want to see that

22. JediANGELA

Sep 28, 2002
    I'm probably not though, if I can get my car off the ice sometime tomorrow, I'm going to Richmond...

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Ah, good luck and have a safe trip :)

24. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002

Agreed on all counts. I think baseball is just that much more difficult than other sports and this is just proof of that. I don't care how good of a hitter you were in high school, you're not jumping into the big leagues and going to produce on any appreciative level.

College stars can't hit in the majors right away and college pitchers would have ERAs around 11.50. Thankfully we do have a minor league system. I do try to watch the CWS, but it's honestly hit and miss from year to year.

25. JediANGELA

Sep 28, 2002
    They cancelled the JMU ice-bowl :(