main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA COMIC-CON 2009 - July 22-26

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JedHead1, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Mandalore... looks like Galidraan wasn't the end of them. Besides Montross who was later killed by Jango anyway. Then again it is the cartoon pulling more stuff from out of no where. :p

2. AKAI_FETT

AKAI_FETT Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2006
    It was on TV. It's replaying a few times this week.

3. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
  4. Nebelwerfer

Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2008
    so many kickbutt costumes, i especially liked the "Left 4 dead" ones

5. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/starwarsblog/

6. LeiaLuck

LeiaLuck Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2009
    What you heard is mostly true. On Thursday when I arrived at the con, three different security guys approached me separately within the first hour of my arrival about my metal bikini?s ?indecent exposure.? My new bikini skirt was screen-accurate and only showed a bit of side cheek... covering everything that a thong, bikini, and two strips of fabric could possibly cover... my old bikini that I wore to the con for the past two years was way more revealing.

The first old guy in a green shirt also made my boyfriend weapon-check his toy Solo blaster. This old guy seemed to be satisfied after we patiently listened to him drone on and ignored his rude interruptions every time we tried to speak, and then he finally let us up the escalator. A second guy in a red shirt also stopped me shortly after I got off the escalator with the same drill, but after we told him we just went through that and we?ve been coming in similar costumes for the past two years with no problems, he also let me pass. The third guy in a red shirt stopped me in the badge registration area and refused to let me go for a considerable amount of time ? after I went into the bathroom and let all sides of my skirt out by an inch or two, then he demanded that I keep following him to different locations with my Chewie backpack on, and holding all sides of the skirt together. He was extremely repetitive and uncooperative, and he appeared to be entirely incapable of performing his job efficiently. So I made his job easier yet for him, and wore our friend Lando?s cape until I got on the convention floor.

Not only were there far more revealing costumes than mine, but there were also twenty-some-odd other slave Leias in attendance throughout the con. Now I know to always wear a coat over my costume, which is ridiculous for summer in San Diego, but whatever. I just wish they would?ve done what every other normal gawker does without wasting an hour of my time ? get an eyeful, chat briefly, ask for a photo, etc. The con may try to be family-friendly, but it?s still full of adult material that parents should navigate and/or put into appropriate context for their young children, if not avoid entirely... it?s not Disneyland.

7. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    That sucks, Trista. But it was nice to see you and Nate again. I almost didn't recognize him! Maybe next year, my new costume will be an Elite security staff uniform! lol.

8. Nebelwerfer

Apr 8, 2008
    geez, i wonder what made those old prudes so snarky. I thought this was America, not the middle east

9. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Sorry to hear about your difficulty in wearing the Leia costume :( I suspect it was because you wore it in Thursday and there were a lot of newbie security guards who were just clueless as to what the normal Convention costume garb was like. I also saw far skimpier costumes at the con.

I've been hassled about blasters before too. That's normal, and they did warn that this year they would require weapons checks.

The only hassling I got in my Slave Leia was people wanting to verify I had a con badge. I wasn't hassled for my con badge in other costumes. I think my costume made them look at me and my badge was kind of hidden behind me as I walked or would get hidden under the cloak I wore most of the day. (I needed to get around quickly between panels and didn't want to be stopped so I covered up!)

10. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    LOL! The other girls are all much cuter. I'm like the old lady in the group... But it was fun to see what the heck the group photo was like to be a part of. I'd always wondered but thought there was no way in heck I could ever wear something like that. It gave me a reason to finally stick to the New Years resolution to exercise. That's mostly what it was about for me because I hate exercising, but the my Doctors (meaning my sister who is a doctor and my actual doctor) kept warning me each year that it's really important for health reasons. And well, after my friend was diagnosed with cancer in December (not that exercising helps you avoid that) it was a partial wake-up call that none of us are getting any younger and we need to do what we can to remain healthy. I just needed a costume to really force me into exercising.

11. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Kathy, don't sell yourself short. Even if you think of yourself as the "old lady" of the group, you still can give a lot of those girls a run for their money! Your dedication to the costume (and exercise) were all worth it. Great job, as always!

12. elmoizme

elmoizme Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2005
    woot...check out the hottie.. woohooo ;)
    http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2009/07/28/comic-con-recap-robot-chicken-skate-party/

13. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    I agree, your pic in Elmo's link is on top of the rest for a reason Kat, so you should be proud. Color me surprised [face_blush] when seeing one of own SFFF Council in the standard Slave group shot (Besides Matty cos he somehow sneaks in there all the time. lol). Way to represent! hehe... and yes, like Matty said, much respect to the dedication to exercise. It shows! ;) *Kat call whistle* [face_whistling]

14. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I had not planned to skate in that costume. I didn't think it was possible! But the chain of events kind of started when I entered the rink. I was walking in the door when Seth was walking out with a camera crew and he said 'we have to get you on roller skates'. Little did he know my mom worked at a roller rink and I used to skate several days a week - *evil laugh*! I had planned to dress down after an hour or two and skate in street clothes with Alison. But, it turned out Matt and Dale were too (robot) chicken to skate with her and I was bored. She suggested pinning the sides of my skirt shut so I'd have my hands free to skate. The force was with me and I didn't fall! I was most worried about other inexperienced skaters bumping into me, that's usually what causes me to spill. That, and the toe stop on the rental skates is too stubby to be useful. I'd go to push off on it or to pivot with it and it was as if it was not there and I'd start to stumble forward. I had not used rental skates since I was probably... 8 years old.

Anyway, that's the story behind the roller skating Leia!

15. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    At least it wasn't ice skating... that would of been cold in the metal! LOL...

Don't you mean Robot [face_chicken] ? :p Just like Rob called Megan Fox a [face_chicken] tease. [face_laugh] The emoticons are there for creative stupidity like mine. :D

16. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I'm not as sure on my feet in ice skates. I would not have done it if it had been ice skating. The cold would have been nice though. It was really warm in the roller rink because there was no air conditioning and the rink had heated up over the course of the day. And that lead to an interesting comment from Seth Green as well... hehe!

17. Nebelwerfer

Apr 8, 2008
    Looking good :D

18. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    It was good to see you guys! [:D]

And Kathy, please don't cut yourself short. We had to spend all day next to one of the chicks in the booth next to us who was in a horrible Slave Leia and really should NOT have been wearing that costume. [face_sick]

19. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Uh-oh... I can't even think of who that would have been (but for the sake of people who might be lurking the boards, you could PM me rather than point anyone out here in public)? I thought all the girls at the Slave Leia shoot looked great :)

I can't believe I never went by the mezzanine level to visit the fan tables! I go there every year and this year just flew by me.

20. ARASHI

ARASHI Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    Great Job with the Slave Leia Costume Kathy.. you look great!
    I want that costume too :p

21. LeiaLuck

LeiaLuck Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2009
    Thanks Matt, Kathy, all! Yeah, I think I probably was the first slave Leia that they noticed on Thursday... adding salt to the wound, the really strict security guy even recognized me from previous years. Oh well. Last year I had no problem when I wore a coat in, and I didn't have any problems after I wore a coat through the doors again this year on Friday.

lol, Nathan and I had to get new Han and Leia costumes that fit this year! We even had a Lando by our side (complete with Colt 45, hehe). I even got a gal pal of mine into my old bikini for a bit on Saturday eve.

The group photo was fun again this time around - I thought that everyone there rocked the bikini, it was a high-quality bunch this year (after we all found each other! ;)

We already can't wait for the next Celebration / Comic Con! @(*.^)@

22. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    Hey Kat aka "Skate Leia," after seeing all the fun you had on the rink, I promise now to learn how to "mobiley move" on skates, wheels and other modes of transportation...[face_mischief] I just did not want my first time on skates be during such a high profile event.
    And if this winter, Union Square Ice Rink happens again, maybe you could revive the outfit.:D

23. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Here are my pics (so far).

I'm still trying to upload video:

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/JedHead1/Comic-Con%202009%20July%2022/

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/JedHead1/Comic-Con%202009%20July%2023/

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/JedHead1/Comic-Con%202009%20July%2024/

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/JedHead1/Comic-Con%202009%20July%2025/

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/JedHead1/Comic-Con%202009%20July%2026-27/

24. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Aw man, it's like the Hall of Armor for the Iron Man display. Nice... Matty! No ROTJ Luke for the Slave Leia photo shoot though? [face_shame_on_you] You're slipping bro. lol...

I'm engaging next year or I feel like I'll lose my geek cred. haha... Besides my Nikon D90 needs a real workout. ;)

25. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    You know I wouldn't miss the Slave Leia shoot without ROTJ Luke! Its just that this year, I had to hold back more fanboys since there was no Jabba this year that was roped off to keep a distance for the drool and to prevent the groping. I did manage to hang out with the ladies before the shoot. But it was so crazy that I didn't even get to take pics with Kathy and Shea. But I did manage to snap one with a new Leia and Victoria in her Oola, and Monique wanted me to do the rope pose again, even though I was in civvies!

:-B :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.