main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Crappy ass new NBA ball]David Stern, I have a bone to pick with you.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by ApolloSmileGirl, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Seriously, it sucks. Almost daily, more and more players are complaining about it. I get the feeling he's not going to falter on it, and that is really disappointing. Years ago he tried to make the games faster paced and higher scoring, now he's totally contradicted himself because the new ball is horrible and limits scoring in a plethora of ways.

2. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I haven't been able to even feel it or play with it yet. (Boy, that didn't come out right).

Is it even being sold publicly at the moment?

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Is it even being sold publicly at the moment?

$25

4. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Where at?

5. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    The best quote I've heard on the matter came from J.A Adande on Around the Horn

"David Stern said 'It may not feel the same, or bounce the same'. What more do you want out of a basketball besides feel and bounce?"

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I still don't understand why he changed in the first place. Just makes no sense.

7. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Yeah with all the players complaining you gotta make a change.

8. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Well he can't change it back now. He's already forced this new change and he can't take it back. Just going to have to deal with it I guess.

It seems to be a money issue - and maybe a PETA issue too - no matter how much they'll continue to deny that.

9. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I haven't seen one for sale, nor handled one yet. I probably wouldn't be the best judge, but I'll take the word of the dozens of players that have openly complained.

10. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    The players are sorta mixed about it too. Some love it, some don't.

11. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I would think the ones who like it are probably the ones that get a better bounce into the bucket, and not handling the ball as much. But I haven't really looked at exactly who is saying what, so I can't say that for sure.

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Isnt scoring actually up this year?

I don't think the ball is bad, just different. Once players adjust to it fully, there will be no complaining at all.

I tend to agree with Mark Cuban on the issue.

The new ball can also be trusted to be where you want it, when you want it. Its just not the same place as the old ball. That is creating problems.

Once they know how to trust the ball ... it'll be back to old times.

13. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    not quite, integral.

our local master columnist, dan bickley, zinged david stern today on several subjects, including the new ball:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/articles/1205bickley1206.html

The Arizona Republic
    Dec. 6, 2006 12:27 AM
    The NBA is becoming the new No Fun League. There are dress codes, technical fouls for whining, expensive reprimands for renegade owners.

It is all part of a master plan to take the playground out of the game, softening up the gritty urban feel of professional basketball. Street cred and bling, you're no longer welcome here.

It is a highly ambitious plan, and quite courageous, really. Until you consider David Stern's new balls.

"The only problem I have with it is that it tears my fingers apart," said the Suns' Steve Nash, reigning two-time MVP.

Astonishing, isn't it? If the new behavior and dress codes weren't enough, the NBA has blindsided its players with a new basketball that looks like a Nerf pumpkin. The balls are soft and orange and strangely cushy. They are also part of a new grievance filed by union leader Billy Hunter.

Hunter claims that his players hate the new balls, even though early results show little statistical change from last season. Dallas owner Mark Cuban funded independent studies and discovered that the soft bounces help shooters while the stickiness hinders creative playmakers.

"I think our team is split," said the Suns' Eric Piatkowski, the team's union representative. "Sixty percent don't like it, 40 percent do."

But new revelations have changed the argument considerably. Nets point guard Jason Kidd said the new ball gives him the feeling of multiple paper cuts in his hands. That sounds extreme, but Nash understood completely, saying he suffers from the same problem.

Of course, these are merely two of the best passers in NBA history. They both work the ball furiously while dribbling, whether it's applying heavy spin or delivering creative touch passes. And just like that, the commissioner has gone and handicapped two of the most artful, unselfish players he has in the sport.

"It's awful," Nash said, showing off what appeared to be array of friction burns on his fingers. "It's like an irritant, and you get them right on the part of your hands that you're using the most. And every time you go to shoot it you don't want to use those parts. Sometimes, I even have to tape my fingers in practice."

In the wide view, it is easy to see the reason for great Stern mandate, even with the considerable risks. While benefiting from a wonderful new crop of stars, the game is still dealing with a lingering perception problem - the one that always goes back to the guns and headbands and cornrows. Hunter recently said as much to the New York Daily News:

"The image problem is a subtle way of talking about Black ballplayers and how they appear to the populace," Hunter said. "When we had our last round of negotiations, David told me that he was consulting with one of President Bush's political consultants. The issue was: What they can do to make the game and players more appealing to the red states?"

While Stern's heavy-handed reform is beginning to anger many influential players, it's the same deal with this new basketball. In any other sport, the ball is an object to be thrown, caught, kicked or hit. But a basketball is much different and much more personal. It is more like a brush for the artist - and if you don't believe me, please pop in a tape of Magic Johnson. Or Pistol Pete.

To mess with that relationship is insane.

Officially, the new basketball was developed to correct inconsistencies in the old model. But there are new rumors this new basketball actually came about because the wife of the Rockets' owner is a huge ally for PETA. Seems she's also a friend of Stern's wife. And when the two gals got to talking, well, that rich, leathery old basketball that came from the back of some poor cow was a thing of the past.

"That'd be great," Nash said. "I'd agree with that. But can't they make a better synt

14. primetime62

primetime62 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2005
    I just skimmed the artical but it's hard not to agree with Nash. I beleive the balls are made of microfiber, which at first glanch looks cool, especially on furniture can you can write your name with your finger and stuff. But I'm a physical merchandiser at a furniture, meaning I work with this stuff a lot, and I can't work without gloves anymore, because it irritates the heck out of my hands. I swear I'm alergic to it now. Your hands get all hot, red, and itchy, it's just horrible.

15. NM_Mandalorian

NM_Mandalorian Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    I obviously haven't used one as much as Nash, but I like it. It has a nice feel to it. I heard the other day during a game that there is talk of changing the ball again before next season because so many players dislike the current one.

16. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    just heard that the old ball is coming back on january 1st.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/nba/12/11/nba.ball/index.html

17. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Probably for the best.

18. NorCalBirdz

Dec 28, 2004
    Well that certainly was a pointless waste of time

19. NM_Mandalorian

May 16, 2005
    Except for all the money made from sales.

20. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Except for all the money made from sales.

Which was a pointless waste of time AND money for a lot of people :p

EDIT: Also, this is a brilliant move on the part of David Stern - he gets to point out that he's already given this concession to the players, which means his position is stronger in future complaints.

21. NorCalBirdz

Dec 28, 2004
    Are the new, er, old, er, synthetic balls still for sale? Maybe they will be an NBA Collector's Item someday.

22. NM_Mandalorian

May 16, 2005
    I know they are still on sale where I am. I think I might go pick one up just because.

23. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004

Yes you can still get them, that being said I think the ball needed to be changed but doing it midseason when everyone is getting used to it is idiotic. It should've gone back next year.

24. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    the suns are starting to practice with the leather ball, and have chucked the composite ball for their practices.

25. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    the suns are starting to practice with the leather ball, and have chucked the composite ball for their practices.

At least they were able to get a hold of the leather balls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.