main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters Darth Maul Master Replicas Force FX Saber!!!

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by FETT-MAN, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo_mp5

neo_mp5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2004
    um, what's all this talk about blade lenth? all the blade lengths in the films are about the same, and maul's never changed.

2. saberwielder76

saberwielder76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2001
    Can anyone tell me if the coupler comes only with the double box? I saw this bad boy at Borders and it will be mine, but they only had the single boxes, and I couldn't find anything on the box that mentioned a coupler.

3. NEMES1S

NEMES1S Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2005
    I couldn't wait for the set (2 sabers) to come out, so I ended up getting 2 single sabers separately - yes, they do come with couplers... now I have 2 of them.:D

4. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    Well, NEMES1S, that pic looks great! I'll bet with the makeup you look menacing!

5. NEMES1S

Jul 23, 2005
    Well thank you there FETT-MAN! Yeah, I can't wait to show'em off. Last years first attempt as Maul could've been better: costume needed to be trimmed, hemmed, shortened here, lengthen there... makeup ran when I started sweating... I guess thats the joy of costuming - to keep striving to get it right. Like that saying goes, "...its not the destination, but the journey." :)

6. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    And may I ask who said that? Well, I just picked up a nice book called Star Wars--Complete Locations so I now know the exact 'Duel of the Fates' (actually it's called the 'Generator Battle', but we never knew that) series of events. And I even happen to know what's at the bottom of the bottomless pit![face_laugh]

7. saberwielder76

saberwielder76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2001
    Thanks

8. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    I'd love to have the Maul, but I'm going as Vader for Halloween so...

9. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Bump.

So... I've changed my mind. My (taller) friend is going to be Vader and I'm going to be Maul. My parents won't purchase anything online, so I'm trying to get this bad boy in a store. The only problem is that I can't seem to find it anywhere. Does Borders still carry it? Oh, and I'm trying to get this thing before the weekend of July 8th and 9th (going to a con and am trying to get autographed by Mr. Park).

10. Darth_Perilous

Darth_Perilous Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2006
    The last time I visited Border's in my nearest mall, they still carried the Maul FX's as singles.

Anyway, I recently got two of these as singles and I'm quite pleased with them. There are, however, some things that I found a bit dissapointing.

1. The weight. For some reason, the Maul FX is a bit heavier than any other FX I've handled. Probably because of the way the blade emitter is larger than any of the other lightsabers'.

2. Recycled sounds. I found this to be my biggest gripe. Instead of reproducing the menacing buzzing/growling hum of Maul's lightstaff from the film, they recycled the sounds from Vader's FX. Totally weak. I hope Master Replicas doesn't get in the habit of recycling sounds for every new FX that has the same color as a previous one. Hmm... I wonder if Obi Wan's FX has recycled sounds from Anakin's? Then again, I never noticed a difference in sound between Obi Wan's and Anakin's sabers in RotS.

3. The connector. Putting the two single sabers together reminded me of working on a small plumbing project, squeaky joint and all. I also had to take the connector apart and rearrange how it was fitted together, because when I used it to join the two FX's together, it joined them in a way that the buttons weren't lined up.

11. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    So you're saying this isn't a good saber?:_|

12. Darth_Perilous

Darth_Perilous Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2006
    Wellll... the fact that you're twirling around an almost perfect replica of Maul's saber over your head more or less cancels out any of the negatives. I just kinda' wished Master Replicas hadn't gone the lazy route with the sound effects for this FX. Anyone who watches the films knows that there are subtle differences in sound between almost all the lightsabers, including the Sith sabers.

13. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Not that much difference between Maul and Dooku. I haven't watched ROTS enough to say about Sidious. You know, though, this isn't the first time MR's done this. I think the Luke ROTJ and the Anakin ROTS have the same sound. I could be wrong.

14. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Anyone seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP9FlSqaqSI

15. MorgonKEN-BUR

MorgonKEN-BUR Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 23, 2005
    I won the Darth Maul Double FX that at the costume contest for BIG APPLE CON in NY city this past weekend. It is truely amazing. The best lightsaber MR has put out i think. The quality is untouchable. I may love anakin the most, and dress as him, but the Maul FX is the hieghest quality saber they have realeased yet. I really hope in the future they will get the sabers to produce the core pulse like hyperdyne blades can.

Here is me with my prize. [image=http://connsquad.com/Gallery/albums/B-A-C-NY-06/P1160133.sized.jpg]
    It helped that the judges ended up deciding to divide up the prizes according to costumes. And since I was techincally the only saber weilder in the final rounds, I was the fortunate winner.

16. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Mr. Park turned off one of the blades towards the end there. Oh, I can't wait to meet him! It's coming up in like two weeks! I'll be getting the Anakin saber pretty soon here, I wanted the Maul but I just can't afford it. Maybe I'll get a chance to try it out.[face_praying] Maybe even fight Ray myself![face_praying] :D

17. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    UPDATE: Instead of the Anakin I just got back from Borders and have a nice Maul 1/2 saber in my possession! Don't have the batteries for it, and haven't even taken it out of the box yet! But I'm happy and hopefully I can have the other half by Halloween![face_pumpkin]

18. NEMES1S

Jul 23, 2005
    Excellent choice... you have finally taken the first steps towards the 'darkside'. Welcome home... BWAHAHAHA! [face_laugh] [face_devil]

19. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Wow!!! I put the batteries in a fired it up for the first time... OM*G! It's sooooo bright! And a lot more softer volume than my Luke ROTJ (which I can understand since you're supposed to hook two of them together). I was comparing the two sabers and was amazed to find out the Maul has a longer blade than the Luke which is stunning since you don't normally hook two Luke's together:p. The Maul hilt is shorter, but that's without the coupler. Now, in the box was a little tool (I don't know what those things are called) that I assume goes to the coupler. What exactly does one do with this tool once you have both sabers? Do you use it to line up the buttons? Oh, and you guys weren't kidding when you said it had a great finish, certainly beats the Luke!

20. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Oh my freakin GOD! Today at the Dallas Sci-Fi Expo I got to duel Ray!!! He said I was a good fighter, and he taught me some new tricks. The audience loved me... and you all missed it. It was the fanboy experience of all time!

21. NEMES1S

Jul 23, 2005
    Im sooo jealous!!=P~ Congrats! If you got any pics post 'um up! We'd love to see them.

And if you haven't already picked up the new SW Insider: Special Sith Issue, do so, Ray shows the readers some cool moves there too.;)

22. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    I've got a couple of pics, but they're not that great. After today I'm sure those professional photographers will have their stuff on their sites. I was given a couple of addresses, but none of those have the pics yet. Once they are posted, expect to see them!

23. Forbidden_Priestess

Forbidden_Priestess Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2006
    I got my husband these sabers a few months ago, I just bought the two seperate damaged blades, to combine them into a full double blade.

24. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Look, I found it! (Okay, so I'm in it, but it's more about him.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yLXSO1rvjM&mode=related&search=

25. Darth_Bandalak

Darth_Bandalak Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 14, 2006
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That's awesome!!!
    =P~

You have no clue how jealous I am....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.