main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph DC and Marvel Comparison

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by NightHunter319, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NightHunter319

NightHunter319 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2005
    As the topic implies, discuss which comic series you like more, the differences of them, and your likes and dislikes of each series.

Marvel, in my opinion, is the first great and wonderful comic series that has set the stage for many well known superheroes (Spiderman, and the Xmen to name a few). Marvel in todays comics are very Modern/Near Future based and will always have a place in my heart.

DC comics, like Marvel, has set the stage for many superheroes (Batman and Superman are my personal favorites) and is based on mostly Future/Near Future. The DC world is a tad bit darker and has gotten a more political feel as the comics have progressed. DC is just as good as Marvel in my oppinion because of the slightly different feel it has givin you.

Discuss

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I'm a bigger fan of Spiderman, the Fantastic Four, Iron Man and the like, and not so much with any of the major DC figures. It's one of those things that I'd like to break into a little more.

However, I think that my favorite name is Dark Horse.

3. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Do I really have to chose one or the other? I love them both so much!

DC:

Superman- My fave superhero of all time period.

Batman- Fave Detective

Justice League- They're just awesome

Marvel:

Phoenix-She's so awesome

Spider-Man-Relate to as a person best

X-Men-Well fave superhero group ever. Their so diverse its great.

In short DC hero's seem to be more of the people you look up to kind of heros. Marvel seems to be more down to earth people are able to relate to better kind of hero's. Because you seem them going thru the problems we go thru on a daily bases.

~PK~

4. NightHunter319

NightHunter319 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2005
    In short DC hero's seem to be more of the people you look up to kind of heros. Marvel seems to be more down to earth people are able to relate to better kind of hero's. Because you seem them going thru the problems we go thru on a daily bases.

Good point, if anyone besides me has read and of the Ultimate Marvel Comic series (Ultimate Spiderman being my favorite) theirs a ton of that down to earth feel.

But I believe that in both DC and Marvel they both greatly express the Mental emotion going through almost all of their characters.

5. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Personaly, I never realy got into DC Comics all that much. I mean i read afew titles from DC. But my main focus has always, and will probably always be, Marvel. Theres just something about marvel that I feel i can connect to as opposed to DC. Maybe its the fact that Marvel has all there hero's based in NYC. This is not to say that DC is subpar, but the only time I realy read DC is when Frank Miller is doing something over there, or when a title catches my eye.

6. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    The only DC titles I read are all under the Vertigo banner. I despise Superman and with the exception of Batman don't really care for any of their super-hero characters. I did enjoy Animal Man though, but like I said, he was published under Vertigo.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Whilst DC does certainly do the "Inspirational Hero" better (Superman, Batman, JLA); I find Marvel comics to be better written and far more plausible, if indeed such a word could apply.

With of course, the exception of Frank Miller's Batman. ;)

Whilst the story arcs that follow the X-Men, Avengers, Spiderman, DareDevil, Punisher etc are more engrossing and more perosnal as a whole, it's really hard to counteract the sheer awesome, epic scale of works like "Kingdom Come", or any other Alex Ross JLA/Superman title.

DC, however, tends to have some frankly very silly 2nd and 3rd tier characters, which Marvel thankfully avoids far better. However, with the flagship characters - Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman - DC has an edge for the inner child Marvel can't touch.

E_S

8. citizenjohn

May 4, 2001
    I will say this about Dc vs. marvel; DC's characters seem to translate better in cartoons as opposed to Marvel. IMO I think this has to do with the likes of Paul Dini & Bruce Timm.

9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I prefer DC solely based on the all around quality of the Vertigo imprint, as well as the definitive genre classics Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns. In my younger days I was all about Marvel and their gazillion X-Titles, but in recent history the only noteworthy thing they had going on was Milligan?s X-Force retooling and (to a lesser extent) Whedon?s run on Astonishing X-Men.

10. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    DC used to be considered the light and fluffy line, with Marvel as the dark and realistic line. Among older fans, they still get that sort of bias. DC for a long time was about larger than life figures who could do no wrong and who lived fairly good lives away from their superheroism. Marvel heroes were often in trouble in their personal lives in one way or another, and their villains tended to be nastier. Old school DC fans tend to be very unhappy with the way their universe has gone dark.

Right now, I greatly prefer DC. For that matter, I prefer Vertigo over DC itself these days. I don't think that Vertigo has a single title going at the moment that isn't worth getting.

11. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    DC's going to be amazing this year, with everything I've been reading in Wizard and Toyfare and what not. The true effects of Infinte Crisis coming full circle.

Justice League Breaking Up Cause of it all!

That'll be an intresting arc to follow this year.

~PK~

12. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I enjoy both, though DC packs the most powerful punch. No matter what Era we're talking.

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I like both companies equally. They all have good characters and generally good stories. Though lately, I've been more excited by the impact of "Infinite Crisis" than I've been with Marvel's "House Of M". DC is taking a lot of long standing threads and using them all to tell a story, which will set up a new status quo. Marvel just had a crossover that only really affects the X-Men and Avengers. "Civil War" might make up for it, which I hope it does. At least Mark Millar has people doing something other than sitting around talking like they're in a sewing circle, like Brian Bendis.

14. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I generally prefer DC -- or, more particularly, Vertigo (and Vertigo-esque titles like Ostrander's The Spectre).

Marvel . . . I don't have anything against them, but I just don't find most of their books quite as interesting. Most of my Marvel books I own more because I read the writer writing them at the time than because of the title. And I don't particularly care for Bendis, who writes about half of everything Marvel produces, which doesn't help the situation.

One thing I definitely do prefer about Marvel is their agressive TPB policy. Pretty much the month a story is complete, it's out in TPB. It's very frustrating with DC having TPBs lagging a year and more behind the comic (if we get them at all -- collect rest of Fallen Angel and Spectre, guys, seriously!), whereas with Marvel it's very easy to stay up-to-date -- not to mention the trades themselves have higher production values with thicker, glossier paper than most DC trades.

15. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I'm pretty much a marvel guy. The marvel universe has enough going on it it to suite me. Tha being said, i do have some dc stuff, mostly star trek, and i did get warren ellis's orbiter trade, which is pretty cool. Fallen Angle looks sweet, but i can't really afford to star another comic title now. I do like some independent stuff like strangesr in paradise and jms's toop cow stuff. I might also pick up one paul jenkins darkness trades and see how it is.

I also got watchmen for christmas, but i haven't read it yet.

16. citizenjohn

May 4, 2001
    Definately read Watchmen. Its like one of the best stories written IMO.

17. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Im more of Marvel person myself especially the XMEN because there is a social issuei n the story arc that goes beyond most comic storylines that alot of people can relate to of course all Super Heroes have flaws that some people are going to relate to but i just feel that the Xmen storyline is alot stronger and gets more of a point across to address it and still entertain without being preachy.

18. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    I love Marvel and DC equally,becuase I like the characters and could care less for any such rivalry. Both have their avantages and disavantages,but at the end of the day,it's all about the characters with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.