main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion DEADLINE: No More ‘Star Wars’ 3D Prequel Releases; Lucasfilm Passes To Focus On New Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by rezpen, Jan 28, 2013.

1. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
  2. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Smells of b.s.

3. metr0man

metr0man Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    Disagree. I've been impressed with how they are handling Star Wars.

I was immediately impressed with hiring Michael Arndt. While I'm not the biggest JJ fan I see why they got him as well. And the fact that they're not wasting time, resources, and energy on releasing gimmicky 3D rereleases of mediocre movies, and instead putting it all into the ST.... is good news. TPM 3D did OK i guess, for what it was, and they could very easily just wring out extra dollars on the PT. the fact that they're passing up on guaranteed money makes them look better in my eyes not worse.

4. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I think this is good, actually. I never saw a reason, other than money, for the first six to be post-converted to 3D when they were never meant for the format. Now, I suspect this means we will NOT be seeing Episode 7 in 3D, which is fine by me.

5. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    No I suspect this decision has a lot more to do with profit vs. time invested. 3-D rereleases of older films have been dying a steady death over the last 2 years. Monsters Inc. performed very poorly over the Holidays, and even Titanic 3-D barely mustered more than the TPM release. There's simply no money in this endeavor and ILMs time would be better spent on the Sequel Trilogy.

This also means no OT in 3-D.

6. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    The article only says the prequels will be, not the originals.

7. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    That's dissapointing, but at least the older movies are still gonna be rereleased if this is true. I've always wanted to watch the old movies in a theater. Unfortunately I was too young to experience this. They better not cancel the OT 3D releases! It's the only way people my age can view the old ones in the theater!

8. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Interesting that they say Prequels. So no OT?

What an odd choice. These 3D releases seemed like the perfect buildup.

fistofan1 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  9. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    I thought Ep. 2 was almost finished

oh well

10. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Oh well. I guess it gives Lucasfilm more time to focus on the Sequel trilogy because honestly Sequel Trilogy is more important than 3D rereleases *sorry guys who were anticipating this*

11. Vale Man

Vale Man Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2013
    Personally I saw this as the latest desperate attempt to fleece the fans before Disney took over. I hope that soon enough the release the OT untouched and only digitally remastered. On DVD not the cinema. Okay both.

Lord Tuvitor likes this.
  12. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Seriously, if you don't think this applies to the OT as well you are being naive. The PT/OT Star Wars films in 3-D are dead. Heck they hadn't even done the conversions of the OT and AOTC and ROTS were only just underway.

Yancy

13. Vale Man

Jan 24, 2013
    I honestly couldn't see enough people paying to see that again, in relation to the costs of putting it out at the cinema again.

14. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I don't care much about not getting 3D releases, but I was excited to go see the films in the theater again, this time with my kids. It's okay, hopefully there will be other opportunities.

If we get a 2015 release for Ep. VII we're sitting somewhere between 823 and 1,060 days until the release...
    (May 1 and Dec 24 endpoints since it wouldn't be released outside those dates)

15. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I am more concerned with this line from the article

16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Would you really rather they split their resources for this than to focus on the ST? The PT is everywhere. You can watch it whenever you want. Is the 3D conversion really more important than Ep. 7?

17. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I realize the article stated Eps II & III but, honestly, I hope the can all of the 3D conversions.

Lord Tuvitor likes this.
  18. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    Oh Sithspit, a shame as it could of been good promotion leading to Ep VII. On the other hand there will be a craving for the new material on the big screen with less releases.

So that was the prequels big return then, now one prematurely with the force.

19. Vale Man

Jan 24, 2013
    I mean I'm not really into the PT.,but hopefully this isn't an attempt to bury them, with a view to have them re-done further down the line. I mean they are even re-booting re-boots these days. Spiderman anyone?

Episode Swag likes this.
  20. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Journalism is dead. This is just a lame misuse of the term by a lazy hack of a writer.

21. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    More of this reboot nonsense? It's just miswording, if not they mean rebooting by adding onto the trilogy which hasn't been added on for 10 years nearly.

22. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I had the same thought when I read this article. Man, people are lazy (the irony of this being typed from work is not lost on me).

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Well this sucks. Not really for me (although I would have loved to see the films in theaters again) but more for my son. He's have been anticipating these since I promised to take him. Now I have to tell him that they won't be out. I'm not looking forward to that at all. :(

24. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Totally agree.

25. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Had a feeling it wouldn't take long till fans saw that "rebooting the franchise" line. CUE THE MASS PANIC ;)

Echo-07 likes this.