main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Hayden do a good job as Anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rotticus, Oct 25, 2012.

1. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    He's not a great actor but I've liked him in other roles and he did fine with the material he had to work with. Most of the problems people had with his performance are the fault of the writing and direction, I think.

2. Orochi Oni

Orochi Oni Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 8, 2013
    I can't think of any actor who could have come across as giving a good performance with Anakin's dialogue.

Darth_Pevra and Bale like this.
  3. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    To answer the original question, yes he did a good job. ROTS portrayal > AOTC portrayal. However, job was well done IMO.

kainee and GGrievous like this.
  4. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Yes, yes he did.

kainee and GGrievous like this.
  5. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I've been browsing some old sections of these boards and came across this post from April 28, 2003. It's from this thread: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/haydens-acting.11466853/

Ten years later, we're still at it!

- I HATE YOU!!!
    - I know.

/LM

kainee and Cryogenic like this.
  6. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Some things never change.:p

kainee likes this.
  7. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    I thought he was okay. It would have been hard for anyone to have a great performance with some of the dialogue he was given. My opinion, of course.

8. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    [​IMG]
    His portrayal in AOTC wasn't a highlight of the film for me but he totally redemmed himself in ROTS....the way in which he put across Anakins turn to the Darkside is probably my favourite part of the entire PT!

9. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    He was stuck with the thankless job of having to perform for a hack director and did the best he could given the circumstances.

10. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    But enough about My Life as a House.

11. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    We share the same avatar, that's embarrassing/cool. I think Hayden did a swell job being Anakin. Though he wasn't too good with how he acted when he wasn't angry, he did well when he needed to be ticked off. I liked him.

12. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Hayden was Anakin. I believed him, and that's all I can ask of any actor.

13. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    Great way to look at it. Whenever I think of Anakin Hayden's face immediately comes to mind.

kainee likes this.
  14. Swarley

Swarley Jedi Knight

May 15, 2013
    I was not a fan. His casting is probably one of the top things I would change about the prequel trilogy. I will give him credit for vastly improving his performance Episode 2 to 3. In AotC I would just cringe every time he got frustrated or angry, it was like he didn't really know how to portray those feelings on camera. But, like I said, he did do a better job in RotS. Still, I just can't really get on board with his overall performance as Anakin.

15. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    To me his and Natalie Portman's performance is one of the low points of the PT. Maybe with some better direction, something other than "Faster, more intense." they could have pulled it off.
    As it is, I find their performance very lacking.

16. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I think he did a great job. Although Hayden gave a very "corny" performance in spots, it fit the Anakin character so well. He's stubborn, rude, annoying, and childish, and I think Hayden portrayed him as such to good effect against Ewan's more passive, calm, etc. Obi-Wan.

Had Anakin been played differently (i.e. "more mature"), then it would have ruined the character typecast.

kainee likes this.
  17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Agreed.

I thought him and Nat fit together as a young couple in a tragic romance quite well.

18. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    In AOTC the only cringe inducing moment was when Padme told him to stop looking at her. That was meant to be cringe worthy, less Anakin Skywalker than Anakin Superstalker.

I agree with FRAGWAGON, Hayden's performance was believable and so he did a good job.

At the end, when he is immolated, I felt very sad for the character of Anakin. It was authentically tragic, Anakin's own character had brought him to that moment and Hayden, consequently, was convincing.

kainee likes this.
  19. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I personally think he did a good job.

kainee and Darth Dominikkus like this.
  20. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    There were a few bad deliveries in ROTS, but generally I see Hayden's performance as true to how I see the character. I buy that Hayden is both Anakin and Vader, and for me the tragedy of the movie is represented in his performance. I feel the loss of his innocent persona, and by the end of the movie he truely is Vader. AOTC is another story, but I am pleased with ROTS.

kainee likes this.
  21. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Personally, mind you, I agree to a point regarding your description of his character - and that is why I was unable to dredge up any real sorrow over his fate rather than on an abstract level as when I would when any human "goes bad." His character wasn't balanced enough to make me feel bad for him; I felt bad for those others his turn affected.

22. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    My biggest issue with the portrayal of Anakin is that he is nothing like the Darth Vader of the OT.

23. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    It's gotta be hard to live up to that expectation though, you know? You're fulfilling a vital role in the Star Wars saga, that's a lot of pressure. I think he did great in revealing the victimization of Vader and why he was the way he was in the OT.

kainee likes this.
  24. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    Perhaps.

It's just that when I see OT Vader (especially in ESB) as a cold, ruthless, intimidating figure who articulates his threats so well, I don't at all see prequel Anakin in him. The guy who force-chocked an Admiral on another ship while calmly but forcefully giving the new Admiral instructions? He's not in the prequels.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader" - Anakin's not supposed to be much like Vader.

kainee, Lee_, lbr789 and 1 other person like this.