main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Digital projection: discussion roundtable

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by dolphin, May 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Hi,

Digital cinema has been hailed as the biggest thing since film itself. While I wouldn't go that far it is a major advancement nonetheless. The problem is that now it is far too expensive for your average theater to purchase and it only lasts for a few years at most. If you want digital production in every theater you're looking at barely 1,500 theaters. The resolution is not as high as traditional screens...yet. I think that in 5 years this problem will be rectified.

How do you think the $$ issue should be combated. Investment would seem to be the obvious thing but digital projection is a money-loser so not much there.

2. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I think studios should pay for most of it. Studios are already earning tons of money while many theatres struggle to survive. Besides the studios are the ones to benefit the most by saving on all the printing and shipping costs. Theatres might save some by requiring less personnel though probably maintenance will be higher. I'm sure studios would recoup their investement rather quickly,

3. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    [DELETE] Duplicate post. The boards seem to be acting up.

4. OLDSKOOL

OLDSKOOL Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2002
    the problem is that right now digital projection isn't as good as film yet. but since it is going to get better, it doesn't make much sense for anyone, be it studios or cineams, to shell out big bucks NOW for a digital projector that will not be industry standard in a few years time.

also there is the issue of pirating. although the films will be encrypted, as with an encryption, it WILL be broken. there is just no doubt about that. studios are already loosing ****loads of money with pirating and if because of digital projection pirats will be able to get the film in top notch digital format instead of having to film it off a screen, the studios losses will be even greater.

5. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    The digital projection of AOTC looked a HELL of a lot better than film, so I don't think it's the quality that's the problem.

6. The_Dark_Duke

The_Dark_Duke Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2002
    In which format are the films for DP?
    Are they on HDTV tapes like Lucas used to capture the film?

7. R2_UNIX

R2_UNIX Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2002
    I think digital theatres should be strategically placed around the country, so everyone would have one close by if they really wanted to see one with it, but not every theatre could have one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.