main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Do you think this would work as a arcade game

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Nov 5, 2013.

1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    After visiting an air museum with a few turrets from a B17. I am curious, would you guys be interested in an arcade game where you or a team of people would get into different turrets on a BI7 and they would all be linked along with the video so it would feel like you are all on the same B17 fighting the enemy in the air. You could be a tail gunner, nose gunner, or any other gunner on the B17. Just not the pilot and copilot. The guns would be not loaded but basically a giant blue ray equipped arcade gun firing onto the screen and at the enemy. As the enemy flies by one turret and into the field of another turret you could fire away and whatever the other guy fired into you could add to it till its going down. The turrets would be an exact replica except for the guns of course but you would get the feeling of being in a B17 turret including the belly gunner.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  3. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
  4. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Those are computer games without the benefit of being in a turret. You would physically be in the turret shooting at the screen. You could feel what its like to have to squeeze into the belly turret. You could know what its like to see out of the nose of the plane and shoot the planes coming out at you.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Do you also get to feel the impact of the 13mm MG131 rounds from a Bf109 Messerschmitt as they perforated your cockpit and your lungs?

How powerful is this diabolical need to kill that you want to experience the primal fear of being sandwiched in a perspex sphere with no protection save your faith (so, no protection), on the off chance you could either outright kill someone on a direct hit or cause their crippled plane to plummet thousands of meters to the ground, possibly with them still in it?

Saintheart likes this.
  6. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    You don't go inside the turret, beezel. The turret goes inside you.

Ender Sai likes this.
  7. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Because your everyday video arcade can afford an airplane hangar to put this all up in...

Perhaps you could lend them some money, beez.

8. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Sounds like it'd be hella expensive to make. You'd have to build a model of the B-17 fuselage, then surround it with huge screens, etc. Also, from a historical accuracy perspective, B-17 gunners were really ineffective at shooting down attacking fighter planes.

9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I would love to play an arcade game where you have Tourette's.

11. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    If you had to squeeze into a tiny turret to play, would you not be denying a big proportion of you typical gaming audience?

12. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Psst...you're supposed to say, "Help! I think I'm melting! This is all your fault."

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Help! I think I'm melting! This is all your fault.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I can see the stories about the lawsuits already.

15. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    You don't have to build the entire plane. Just bits and pieces of it. For example the tail gunner turret would just be a small section of the tail. The top turret same thing. The side turrets aren't really turrets at all but just a gun mounted on a swivel. You stand up and fire. Ok, so the belly turret might be too hard to replicate. The nose of the plane is easy. its just a large plexi glass curved window with two guns on swivels. With the price of tvs now adays a few big screen tvs to use as a guide would work. Hell you don't even have to use a tv. You can use a projection for one or all the screens but have them linked up. The computing power and design is easy. The hard part is getting the feel of the guns firing. Perhaps some sort of air injection system into the barrels to make it feel like you are shooting. Combine that with the actual sound of the guns firing in a set of head phones or nearby speakers and it could work. Who know a radio to communicate with everyone designed like the old ones. You could charge ten or fifteen bucks for ten minutes.

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    People still play arcade games?

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I do. [face_blush] Especially when I can find an old-school free-standing Pac-Man or Space Invaders.

18. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  19. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I wanna see this work in real life:

[​IMG]

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Are you the kind of person who'd do airsoft instead of paintball because the weapons look more realistic and therefore get you closer to the act of killing people?

Doesn't the C130 have a tail gun? there you go beezel. Join the USAF.

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I mean yeah there's those arcade games at the movie theaters, but I never carry spare change.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    They're 50 cents or a dollar now. I used to be able to play for a quarter. :_|

CT-867-5309 and Darth_Invidious like this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    C-130 does not have a tail gun. AC-130 gunship can have up to five guns firing from the left side, but no tail gun.

24. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Desiring to play a game like this is no different from being interested in playing any other game. It's all role-playing in some way. I could see this or a similar set up (space shuttle crew) as an attraction at a museum or theme park..